Futuresonus PARVA Polyphonic Analogue Synthesizer

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Futuresonus Announces Parva Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer

Futuresonus is proud to announce Parva, a revolutionary new polyphonic analog synthesizer. Parva combines the classic warmth of an all-analog signal chain with the modern convenience of digital control in an elegantly designed tabletop package.

“I designed Parva from the ground up with the intention of producing a completely new synth while still maintaining the character of the classics from the ‘70s and ‘80s,” said Futuresonus founder Brad Ferguson.

Each of Parva’s eight voices features three digitally-controlled analog oscillators, producing sawtooth, triangle, and PWM waveforms with extremely accurate pitch and rock-solid tuning stability. A pair of two-pole state-variable filters can be configured for a 12dB or 24dB low-pass or high-pass response, or split for bandpass or notch filtering. Four four-stage envelope generators and four multi-waveform low-frequency oscillators feed a flexible modulation matrix, allowing for virtually limitless sound design options.

Parva is the first analog synthesizer to feature a USB Master port, which enables the user to connect any class-compliant USB MIDI keyboard — or other controller — directly, without the need for a computer. Analog potentiometers provide immediate access to the most commonly used parameters, while the high visibility OLED displays on the front panel show additional settings, making it simple to dial in the perfect patch.

From the aluminum enclosure to the custom-machined aluminum knobs on sturdy panel- mounted potentiometers, Parva was designed with working musicians in mind, and built to last. Each unit will be hand-assembled in Austin, TX.

Parva is expected to ship in summer 2015. Pre-orders will begin in February, with the standard polyphonic Parva retailing for under $1000. An expandable monophonic version will also be available for under $500.

Futuresonus was founded by Brad Ferguson in Austin, TX in 2014, and is dedicated to designing high quality synthesizers and effects. For more information about Futuresonus, please email info@futureson.us or visit futureson.us.

There's a thread over at gearslutz where the creator of PARVA is answering questions:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-pro ... sizer.html

The biggest question already got answered. He's aiming for 8 voices at under $1000 USD! :)

Very interesting!
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

I've collected most of the questions and answers from gearslutz:

Is that OLED screens?

– Yes, those are OLED screens, one display for each section of the synth (oscillators, envelopes, filters, etc). There's an additional screen for global settings and patch save/recall, and the 'A' and 'B' knobs beside it are rotary encoders that allow you to scroll through the menus and select items.

We've tried to design it so "normal" use of the synth can all be done from the analog knobs without diving into menus, but menus are necessary to organize all of the additional settings and options.

Could you give some more insight to the PWM waveforms? Will this be Square only, or will there be more options? Thanks.

– Each DCO begins with a ramp (saw) wave, which is fed into a triangle wave shaper and a PWM shaper. The PWM duty cycle is voltage controlled, and can be set from the front panel and modulated by any of the modulation sources.

Does the sub 1000$ version features all eight voices?

– Yes: 8-voice poly for <$1000, expandable mono for <$500.

Will there be a keyboard version in the future?

– We're focused on shipping the tabletop module right now, but a keyboard version is a possibility in the future.

Are there modulation sources other than the LFOs and envs? Aftertouch, mod wheel, other MIDI CCs?

– Good question -- I'll have to update the blog post. Yes, external modulation sources such as aftertouch, mod wheel, and other MIDI CCs are supported.

Will it have polyphonic AT support?

– Yes, it will have polyphonic aftertouch support. I've been testing it with a CME XKey over USB, but more testing over "regular" MIDI is still required.

I hope this product won't end up as "usb-only", because din-midi connection always makes things easier.

– It has DIN MIDI in and out, as well as USB MIDI and a USB host.

Are the envelopes loopable like on the Prophet VS for instance?

– No, but it's a feature I'd consider adding, and can be done in firmware.

Can the LFOs sync to MIDI clock?

– Not in the current prototype, but will definitely be there before production

What about sound modification: Ring mod, Cross mod, Overdrive?

– There is Filter FM (via OSC3), but no ring mod or cross mod. The oscillator mixer section and the filters can be overdriven somewhat, but there's no overdrive "effect."

What is the range of the LFO's

– The LFOs have a range of 0.03Hz to 500Hz.

Would it be possible (without hardware changes) to make a split LP and split HP mode, i.e. to have a configuration of the two filters in parallel but with both filters set to either LP or HP?

– The filters are wired in series, but it is possible to make them both LP or both HP. Tuned the same, that would make a 24db filter. Tuned differently ... is possible but probably not useful.

The actual filter options are:
12dB Low
24dB Low
12dB High
24dB High
12dB Bandpass
+ the mostly useless options of two lowpass or highpass filters tuned to different frequencies

Is there any plans for a computer patch editor/librarian?

– Yes, but the initial version will likely have a very simple interface (no fancy graphics).

Will there be a mono and detunable Unison mode?

– You can arrange the voices any way you want -- mono, poly, multi-timbral, unison, multi-timbral unison (stack two different patches), etc.

I think I heard something about a drift/slop parameter, if so, will it be per voice or even per osc?

– The drift/slop parameter will be per voice, but will modulate each osc independently.

Is there any chance of the noise generator being used as a modulation source? I love modulating filter cutoff and/or resonance with a touch of noise.

– The LFOs can sample-and-hold the noise source, then modulate the filters, but the noise source can't be used to modulate the filters directly.

Can the LFOs be configured to behave like on old synths where mostly only one LFO was modulating all the voices?

– There is no hardware restriction preventing this, and it will be trivial to implement once LFO MIDI sync is done.

This looks great. The world needs an affordable, 8-voice modern analog poly. I like the size and layout. The OLED displays look cool and the knobs seem first class. Nice job!
Matrix-1000, MicroWave with Access programmer, MicroWave II, MKS-50 with MidiClub programmer, MKS-70, MKS-80 with Kiwi Patch Editor, Nord 2 Rack, Nord 3 Rack, Prophet REV2 module, Pulse 2, Shruthi, Virus TI

Does it come with a magnifying glass for those teensy weensy letters?
Good old fashioned LCD, but much bigger, would be way more functional...

Aural Chaos wrote:Does it come with a magnifying glass for those teensy weensy letters?
Good old fashioned LCD, but much bigger, would be way more functional...
From the youtube clip it seems that it will show the parameter being tweaked enlarged as you tweak it. Quite clever imho:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK-yWbMPDoU

I'm not really in the market for a hardware synth, but if I was I'd be incredibly excited for this. Sleek, modern, but also analog. Way to go.

I see what you mean, but it's still really tiny.

New demo. Covering Yazoo. All sounds are from Parva (with some added reverb):

https://soundcloud.com/futuresonus/yazo ... arva-synth

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”