using korg volca with a DAW

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i read that the audio signal itself is mono, since there is no panning capability.

if i use a stereo cable it should still work, it will be just two identical mono signals going to each speaker?

so, if i sync two volcas up together, have the 3.5mm-3.5mm cable going from one volca into PC line-in, and the speakers plugged into my PC, will I be able to hear both volcas?

rubez wrote:i read that the audio signal itself is mono, since there is no panning capability.

if i use a stereo cable it should still work, it will be just two identical mono signals going to each speaker?

Yes.
rubez wrote: so, if i sync two volcas up together, have the 3.5mm-3.5mm cable going from one volca into PC line-in, and the speakers plugged into my PC, will I be able to hear both volcas?
No. You need to have the audio out from each Volca going into your PC (via an audio interface or mixer).

what about just for jamming.

if i sync two volcas, and have the sound jacked into one volca? will the sound play for both over the speakers?

when you say audio out, you mean sync out?

rubez wrote:what about just for jamming.

if i sync two volcas, and have the sound jacked into one volca? will the sound play for both over the speakers?
No. The sync is for synchronising only. It has nothing to do with the sound. You need to connect the audio outs from the volca to the PC.

rubez wrote:when you say audio out, you mean sync out?
No. Sync is not audio. The volca's audio comes from the headphone output.

that's a bit crap. a lot of bother just to jam, let alone recording into PC. i may return the beats since it hasn't even arrived yet.

i do have a xone92 mixer. would that do? would it just be a case of obtaining the correct cables?

Connecting 2 cables is a lot of bother?

Any mixer will do the job ... it's what mixers are for.

well it IS starting to become restrictive.

having to fire up the mixer even just for a 2 minute jam... and extra cables to the mixer and PC limits freedom of movement. kind of goes against the nature of these small pick and play boxes.

guess that is the nature of hardware. i can do everything on software, but it is mind numbingly boring.

wish there was a decent all-in-one box. there is nothing like the old electribes EMX-1 today. the new one is a disappointment to say the least.

rubez wrote:... extra cables to the mixer and PC limits freedom of movement. kind of goes against the nature of these small pick and play boxes.

Buy long cables so you can dance about if you want to.
rubez wrote: wish there was a decent all-in-one box. there is nothing like the old electribes EMX-1 today. the new one is a disappointment to say the least.
Have you looked at the Electrons?
http://www.elektron.se/products

rubez wrote:
wish there was a decent all-in-one box. there is nothing like the old electribes EMX-1 today. the new one is a disappointment to say the least.
What about one of these?

http://www.roland.co.uk/products/mc-909/

Way better than any of the Electribes. Then again there's the Elektrons and they're great machines.
The Roland MC909 though can do tons of stuff and sample, it has USB too. Had one for years since release in 2003 I think it was. You can expand sample memory and install SRX board (not JV boards) might be some on eBay.

nah not keen any of them. i think my hardware dream ends here, it is too expensive and takes up too much space :lol:

thanks.

i suppose i can use the volca bass and have drums etc from a DAW?

i think there is a space in the market for a decent workstation now. your only choices are to find secondhand overpriced relics off ebay.

roland should update the mc 909. unfortunately it would probably be some software hybrid, like the awful NI maschine. then they have the aira range they probably don't want to undermine.

rubez wrote:well it IS starting to become restrictive.

having to fire up the mixer even just for a 2 minute jam... and extra cables to the mixer and PC limits freedom of movement. kind of goes against the nature of these small pick and play boxes.

guess that is the nature of hardware. i can do everything on software, but it is mind numbingly boring.

Why not just use only the volcas, a mixer and an amplifier? 100% analog setup...and you can drive everything with batteries.

then i would need to buy an amp and new speakers.

rubez wrote:then i would need to buy an amp and new speakers.
im finding it absolutely amazing to see the number of things you seem to object to in the specific context of the volcas that would be exactly the same for any hardware.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

rubez wrote:then i would need to buy an amp and new speakers.
Only an amp. Something like this: http://www.roland.com/products/cube_street/

But I guess you don't need a Volca in the first place.

Any good VST can do the same sounds, basically (without the legendary (imaginary) 'analog warmth').

(Have a Volca bass too, but almost never use it, too much hassle with recording etc.)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”