Seagate personal cloud?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyone using one of these? How do you setup remote access? The user manual is useless and so is the online video.

Not quite the same, but I have a Seagate NAS with a "remote access" option I can't get to work either. according to it, the NAS is offline. It's clearly not! :hihi:
I really like Seagates products. I've had both a NAS, an external HD and a bunch of USB sticks. Very reliable stuff but it looks like they got both the cloud service and the remote access service wrong :roll:

It's fine locally, so I can stream stuff to my Hifi, PS3 and iPad, which is partly what I wanted, but I also wanted to be able to access documents from work and dispense with the need for my Dropbox account.

What is worrying is I phoned their support and the guy didn't have a clue, kept having to go and look at the manual (which is misleading in the first place).

I worked out why I couldn't connect remotely, turns out that while the setup process itself was fine about me using spaces in my password (I prefer to use multiword passwords which are more secure) the iPad app is not, so it wasn't accepting my password even though it was correct.

So glad I didn't follow their dumb tech support advice (which was to reset the hard drive, after having spent several hours setting the damn thing up and uploading backup data I wasn't going to do that in a hurry)

Very cool to know. Is it possible to post a link on the specific product?

Oh great I just realised every album it's sorting alphabetically instead of playing in the proper order, how dumb can you get?!

God Seagate support are a fat lot of use! After first being told wrongly that I needed to reset my drive when it couldn't access the cloud they are now telling me I would be better off taking it back to the shop than expecting them to add support in their NAS for actually playing back albums in the correct order! (And that was after several emails where they tried to claim the problem was at my end because of the way my receiver reads networked drives until I pointed out to them that I don't have the same problem if I use PS3 media server as my UPnP server or even a direct USB connection to that same receiver).

Anyone know a way to make this drive use an alternative NAS software because their own app is simply crap.

OK I'm trying Plex now - seems to be taking a long time to add my stuff and most of that is going through some process of 'matching' my music and downloading metadata - why does it need to do that? Can it be turned off - I just want it to load up the files on my networked drive, I couldn't care less what genres etc other people have tagged them with. I also hope that 'match' doesn't mean I'm going to get served what they think my file is rather than the actual file on my hard drive (like with iTunes Match).

edit As I feared this 'match' thing is just idiotic, how can I turn it off? I will decide what is what, not some dumb algorithm. It's just decided that an Aphex Twin track is the trailer from Chldren of men, a Kelis track is apparently an ET trailer, and a Radiohead track is the trailer for desperado and many more things mistagged!!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”