DAW -> MIDI Controller -> Korg Volca Keys?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm trying to determine if this setup is possible, so any insight would be appreciated.

Basically, I have a Korg Volca Keys that I want to sequence using a DAW (Reaper). I don't have an audio interface, but I do have a MIDI controller (M-AUDIO Oxygen 61) with MIDI out. I currently have the MIDI controller hooked up to the Volca via MIDI cable and can play notes on the Volca using the controller. But what I want to do is send MIDI note data from my DAW to the MIDI controller via USB, and then have the MIDI data relayed from the controller to the Volca using MIDI out/in.

Anyone know if this is possible? I haven't been able to figure it out. I've enabled MIDI out in Reaper to the controller, but I can't get any notes drawn in Reaper to sound on the Volca.

Some midi controllers can't use USB midi and DIN midi simultaneously... maybe that's the case with yours? Or maybe it's a setting on the Oxygen, or you're sending on the wrong midi channel, etc...
Why not invest in a decent midi interface? For example, I got my Midisport 4x4 for 40€, second hand. ;)

I'm not familiar with Reaper but what i do with FL studio 12 is connect the Keys via midi directly to the daw on its own channel and use the midi controller to record into a midi piano roll for the keys. so essentially the chain of midi is Controller > DAW > Volca Keys. then the keys is sending audio to the mixer within FL. The daw still Is the master clock.h

ParticleRay wrote:I'm not familiar with Reaper but what i do with FL studio 12 is connect the Keys via midi directly to the daw on its own channel and use the midi controller to record into a midi piano roll for the keys. so essentially the chain of midi is Controller > DAW > Volca Keys. then the keys is sending audio to the mixer within FL. The daw still Is the master clock.h
So you're saying what I said: get a separate midi interface. :wink:

haha I guess you are right. a cheap option that i use for my PC is the M Audio Uno but for an easy all in one solution I have a Focusrite scarlett 2i4 tht i use for connecting the Keys audio and midi to FLstudio 12.

inclination wrote: Basically, I have a Korg Volca Keys that I want to sequence using a DAW (Reaper). I don't have an audio interface, but I do have a MIDI controller (M-AUDIO Oxygen 61) with MIDI out. I currently have the MIDI controller hooked up to the Volca via MIDI cable and can play notes on the Volca using the controller. But what I want to do is send MIDI note data from my DAW to the MIDI controller via USB, and then have the MIDI data relayed from the controller to the Volca using MIDI out/in.

Anyone know if this is possible?
I did it years ago on Novation Remote by turning on usb->midi out and turning off keyboard -> midi out.

Not sure are such settings available on Oxygen.
Murderous duck!

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
I describe many configurations and conections using MIDI controllers and synths, software and Volca Keys, in my blog: https://sintetizandoemusicando.blogspot.com/ (https://sintetizandoemusicando.blogspot.com/)

Unfortunatelly in portuguese

Hugs

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”