Roland XV-5080 ...thoughts?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

While I am still deciding between the Sub or Slim Phatty that I mentioned in another post, I was also thinking it would be great to have a synth module to go along with it. Especially if I can find the Sub Phatty for a decent price, maybe even a used one.

Anyway, I was researching a bit, and it seems the Roland XV-5080 looks like a great synth module from what I've read. Anyone have one of those, or had one in the past? I've seen them for less than $600 on ebay.

It's a great synth module, maybe the best Roland ever made. But I would never want to control it with a dinky 2-octave keyboard. You can get a brand new 4- or 5-octave midi keyboard for less than $100.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote:It's a great synth module, maybe the best Roland ever made. But I would never want to control it with a dinky 2-octave keyboard. You can get a brand new 4- or 5-octave midi keyboard for less than $100.
Ok thanks, and I forgot to mention I'm planning to get a new 49 or 61-key MIDI keyboard also.

Tripple.
Last edited by Harry_HH on Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tripple.
Last edited by Harry_HH on Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I got that, with all the expansions plus external drive you can play sample CDs. Bought it new in 2002, if I remember correctly, paid for the whole set appr. $ 2700.

In that time THE state of the art synth, not old enough to be a retro yet. In fact, many of the Eric Persing sounds still today modern. Play it sometimes for fun. H.

Harry_HH wrote:I got that, with all the expansions plus external drive you can play sample CDs. Bought it new in 2002, if I remember correctly, paid for the whole set appr. $ 2700.

In that time THE state of the art synth, not old enough to be a retro yet. In fact, many of the Eric Persing sounds still today modern. Play it sometimes for fun. H.
Nice! Are they any editor/librarians for it?

Examigan wrote:
Nice! Are they any editor/librarians for it?
You mean computer software? It´s always been connected just to the Alesis Quadrasynth Piano Plus (and to the sequencer). I think Roland has dedicated software editors for the XV but haven´t used them.

Yes I would like to be able to edit and create presets on the PC's screen vs the module's display
Last edited by Examigan on Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yeah, there's an editor. It's stand alone though, not VST. Works well. I had the little brother, the 5050. I loved it. Great little module. Sold it when I had to go ITB. Later replaced it with a SonicCell... it had a VST editor that didn't work all that well most of the time, but the basic sound was the same. In the end I found working with software for such sounds worked better for me so I ditched it, but every now and then I miss the ol' 5050. One thing about it that bugged me was there was no way to universally sync to a MIDI clock so you had to save a preset that did that and there was stupidly limited preset memory.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Had mine for almost 8 years. Very clean, well crafted sounds. I really liked that they kept their heads with the patch effects so would always fit nicely in the mix.

I had problems with limited polyphony at times.
Also, after a few years of only moderate use, the main data entry/patch selection knob started skipping values, probably from dust deposit or maybe actual failure. You could still use the up/down buttons for precise navigation though or use MIDI.

Ended up selling mine due to using more samplers for ROMpler type stuff. From what I remember I would think the sounds remain relevant for certain genres.

zerocrossing wrote:Yeah, there's an editor. It's stand alone though, not VST. Works well. I had the little brother, the 5050. I loved it. Great little module. Sold it when I had to go ITB. Later replaced it with a SonicCell... it had a VST editor that didn't work all that well most of the time, but the basic sound was the same. In the end I found working with software for such sounds worked better for me so I ditched it, but every now and then I miss the ol' 5050. One thing about it that bugged me was there was no way to universally sync to a MIDI clock so you had to save a preset that did that and there was stupidly limited preset memory.
Great thanks for the info :)

Is the editor still available and do you know if it works with Windows 8? I know it is an older synth module, so I thought that any editor for it might only work with older OS'es.

Examigan wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:Yeah, there's an editor. It's stand alone though, not VST. Works well. I had the little brother, the 5050. I loved it. Great little module. Sold it when I had to go ITB. Later replaced it with a SonicCell... it had a VST editor that didn't work all that well most of the time, but the basic sound was the same. In the end I found working with software for such sounds worked better for me so I ditched it, but every now and then I miss the ol' 5050. One thing about it that bugged me was there was no way to universally sync to a MIDI clock so you had to save a preset that did that and there was stupidly limited preset memory.
Great thanks for the info :)

Is the editor still available and do you know if it works with Windows 8? I know it is an older synth module, so I thought that any editor for it might only work with older OS'es.
A quick google search revealed that most likely the latest Roland editor for XV-5080 is available for the Win XP. However, as in many "sub-cultures", there are innovative people finding/creating new ways, found e.g. this one, may be worth reading through:
https://synth-voice.sakura.ne.jp/Integr ... glish.html

I know I had the 5050 editor working in Win 7, but beyond that I can't say.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I just searched around and found this one, not sure how good it is:
https://squest.com/Products/MidiQuest11 ... index.html

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”