Roli Seaboard RISE

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

himalaya wrote:With regards to the glide:

It's all about the right technique. If you slide off a keywave, and then glide alongside it, just below the keywave, almost touching it, you will hear 'bumps' as you glide simply because you are catching the keywaves. But if you move and position your finger in the middle of the ribbon then the glide should be very smooth. Also, set the glide fader on the RISE to 100%, don't set it to less than that while performing the glide gesture and at the same time pushing the fader to 100%, like written here:
It´s best noticable if i move slowly from one note to the next semi and turning the glide slowly up to 100%.
Set the glide fader to 100% for no quantisation. Any setting below will give you varying degrees of note rounding. And make sure that the fader is set to 100%. Sometimes you may think you pushed the fader all the way up, but it will just stop short of the max value, which will be enough to set the RISE into the 'note rounding' mode.

Another thing concerns how you perform the actual glide gesture with your finger. Don't push but pull. It's very important to get a smooth glide response. If you push up/down with your thumb or pointing finger you will get stuck against the grain of the silicone. But if you pull, the glide will be effortless and will give you a smooth response/sound.

These new type of instruments based on poly-pitch (RISE, Continuum, Linstrumnet, etc) all need the right playing technique to get the best out of.
But i still can't get a microtonal pitch inbetween a semitone with an initial touch. Microtune the keywaves etc. Such an instruments shouldn't be limited to western scales only.
It's always quantized to a equal 12 tone.
I already wrote Roli support about this and a lot other things i could imagine.
They think about these things....bla bla....
So maybe in a (far) future.
Multi-touch screens are still far ahead of possibilities....well, beside tactile feedback of course :D

I. Lehti wrote:The new firmware update for the Rise 25 seems to have cured the sticky and random notes for me. Still checking for any anomolies but are there any other things people have noticed?
Indeed, it also solved the few issues i had.
Now i hope for an update for Equator and more options in the dashboard like tuning every note etc.
Midi via bluetooth still doesn't work great on booth....macbook pro and iPhone 6S plus.
It mostly ends with a stuck midi note when playing too fast and making longer pitch bends.
It's also too slow for sharp attacks.
With USB it's just awesome!!

New user here. Saw that this forum and thread has the most info on Roli Seaboard RISE.

What is important is that Roli has now aqcuired FXpansion!

For newcomers, there's also good help in these recent tutorials.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... knOgece3Cf

I have the same problems with MIDI over Bluetooth and there's little help from support as of yet. It hangs after 30-40 seconds, even the slow envelope sounds.

I keep checking to see if Noise is available for Android.

I keep checking.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

They actually have these at my GC. MY GC, the one that is the most generic GC of all!

edit: Hmmmm, looks like they already sold out (double checking the stock) Maybe it's not this one.

incubus wrote:They actually have these at my GC. MY GC, the one that is the most generic GC of all!

edit: Hmmmm, looks like they already sold out (double checking the stock) Maybe it's not this one.
I haven't been able to find anyone in my area that carries it in stock to try it out. :?
Blue Phase Music

They wouldn't have it that way. But when I was in there I noticed the boxes. Not ready for it financially, but I just though it was weird. We almost NEVER have the cool shit at our store.

MaxMSP has just added some RISE specific functionality. Looks really good, and they even have an intriguing Jitter patch for manipulating visuals with the Seaboard. They're also offering a free 12 month license of Max with the Seaboard right now. I already have Max, but this could be a good deal for those who don't.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Mats Eriksson wrote:I have the same problems with MIDI over Bluetooth and there's little help from support as of yet. It hangs after 30-40 seconds, even the slow envelope sounds.
I still got this and i think it's the Seaboard's fault since i have it on all my devices. The Seaboard is dissconected and i have to turn it off and on again.
It's really not usable without USB.
They grow up so fast but the quality is a bit a downer in terms of bluetooth and software bugs.
So wireless future is still far away....... :D
Roli grows and grows but i have the feeling all the mass market productions brings even lower quality over time.
But maybe more competition comes too. I hope so.
I love it still because the other options are even more expensive or not nearly as good.

Mhhh...interesting. After trying again to play my iOS apps on the Seabard via bluetooth it worked for a good while. Just pitch bend glides make it freeze and dissconnect.
I customized the Seaboard to my needs (midi cc) but now it seems to bring some midi cc chaos into my apps. I got now random midi cc messages, especially the sustain get on and of on different notes.
Even when i dissconect it and play the apps now direct on the screen it is there. :o
Strange!

Well, I'm sold. If Jordan Rudess uses it, then I want it. I collect everything of his, including cookies.

incubus wrote:Well, I'm sold. If Jordan Rudess uses it, then I want it. I collect everything of his, including cookies.
But he was not invited on Keyscape launch?!? :hihi:
Beside a few issues the Seaboard is a fantastic controller.
I'm not a good player but i find it better to play on it than on normal keys.
I'm coming from touch-screens so i may be biased here.
I just think the editing software (dashboard) is still too limited for personal settings and was never bug free from the beginning (for me).
I also would buy a 49 key (i just have the 25) if it had 2-3 more sliders for midi cc and an iPad/iPhone app for editing too.
Otherwise it is just fantastic to play with after getting used to it.
Good keyboard players disagree for sure but i won't go back to normal keys now.
I even tryed to make glides and slides on a normal keyboard because i already missed it :D

Cinebient wrote:
incubus wrote:Well, I'm sold. If Jordan Rudess uses it, then I want it. I collect everything of his, including cookies.
But he was not invited on Keyscape launch?!? :hihi:
Beside a few issues the Seaboard is a fantastic controller.
I'm not a good player but i find it better to play on it than on normal keys.
I'm coming from touch-screens so i may be biased here.
I just think the editing software (dashboard) is still too limited for personal settings and was never bug free from the beginning (for me).
I also would buy a 49 key (i just have the 25) if it had 2-3 more sliders for midi cc and an iPad/iPhone app for editing too.
Otherwise it is just fantastic to play with after getting used to it.
Good keyboard players disagree for sure but i won't go back to normal keys now.
I even tryed to make glides and slides on a normal keyboard because i already missed it :D
I agree that an iOS dashboard app would be a welcome addition.

I've had the same experience that after playing the Seaboard for a while, I find myself trying to wiggle the keys of a regular midi keyboard to create vibrato. I've even felt the urge to do that on a computer keyboard!
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”