Roli Seaboard RISE

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jabe wrote:It's likely to be a long time before I can afford a Roli keyboard. Perhaps someone could reassure me about one of my initial concerns. I wonder how durable the rubbery? plasticky? covering of the keys is. Will it last decades or centuries? Is it guaranteed? Thanks.
Since the Rise is still a new product no one can tell but so far the materials seems very solid....and i hit them hard :D

And i don't think the world is not ready for MPE.
Just Abelton is not :hihi: (a reason it would be my last choice as DAW). But i think max for live offers a few workarounds maybe (there was even a Seaboard bundle with it).
I could imagine devices in the future which could transform their surface. I wish i was born 100 years later :borg:

Cinebient wrote:
jabe wrote:It's likely to be a long time before I can afford a Roli keyboard. Perhaps someone could reassure me about one of my initial concerns. I wonder how durable the rubbery? plasticky? covering of the keys is. Will it last decades or centuries? Is it guaranteed? Thanks.
Since the Rise is still a new product no one can tell but so far the materials seems very solid....and i hit them hard :D
Thank you! :tu:
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

Cinebient wrote:What i don´t like too on the Seaboard Rise is the VERY limited configuration and the annoying quantization for the "white keys".
Don't use them. You can play unquantized above and below the keyboard. I've been doing it a lot. A lot of times those bumps aren't at all what I want.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

It feels to me like some sort of thick silicon based rubber. I was worried unti I touched it. It feels exactly like I hoped it would. It does feel like an instrument even though it's very unconventional. Does that make sense? It feels the polar opposite of how the Starrlabs z7s I had felt, which was crude. The Rise has a very kind of refined feel to it.

I wouldn't leave it uncovered in a room that a cat has access to. I have a cat that loves to bite rubbery things and I can imagine a leap off it might leave punctures. That said, I bet it could stand a lot of puncture wounds before it affecting your playing. In my experience, silicon also retains smell. Go take a whiff of your silicon spatula. It smells like the inside of your spice rack and the ghost of a hundred dead animals (unless your a vegatarian, then the ghosts of 100 dead soy plants) So if you're buying one used and don't like the smell of cigarette smoke, make sure you're clear on the question as to wheather or not the owner smokes or gigs in places that allow smoking.

In the end, I have no real idea if the rubber or the underlying tech is going to last. I bet you get at least a decade out of one with frequent playing if you take good care of it. My guess is I trade up for a 61 key version of it long before this one fails.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Cinebient wrote:And i don't think the world is not ready for MPE.
Just Abelton is not :hihi: (a reason it would be my last choice as DAW). But i think max for live offers a few workarounds maybe (there was even a Seaboard bundle with it).
I could imagine devices in the future which could transform their surface. I wish i was born 100 years later :borg:
:lol: True, true. Someone from Roli needs to go over to Ableton and kick them in their tender parts. I was actually shocked that Ableton made a controller that transmitted poly aftertouch and then proceeded to cripple it. That said... I can't imagine jumping Ableton ship at this point... I generally find it so fast to work in. I already made a template that deals with the multiple channels of MIDI so I'm not too bummed out about it.

But the world isn't just your DAW. I was talking about hardware as well. Most analogs don't have more than 12+- semitones of pitch bend range and few are multitimbral. My Prophet 6, for instance, would be amazing to control with something like the Rise, but it just doesn't make sense and no change in DAW is going to fix that. My MicroMonsta would also be a great hardware synth to control with it, but again, it doesn't even respond to polyphonic aftertouch. I'm really glad now that I traded my Prophet 08 for two Tetras, as I think once I get that up and running it's going to be awesome. Word on the street is the Parva will also play nice with these new controllers, but it's got other big issues they've not ironed out.
Zerocrossing Media

zerocrossing wrote:
Cinebient wrote:What i don´t like too on the Seaboard Rise is the VERY limited configuration and the annoying quantization for the "white keys".
Don't use them. You can play unquantized above and below the keyboard. I've been doing it a lot. A lot of times those bumps aren't at all what I want.
I know but i can't have an initial zero value of the cc74 (slide) "black" keys since they just work at the middle of the surface while the cc74 message for those keys works above the whole range.
That's a big problem for me. The black keys should have the range from 0-127 where i can make the initial touch.
I also would like to set each keywave to an own range of value etc.
The software is really tooooooooo limited :cry:

zerocrossing wrote:
It feels to me like some sort of thick silicon based rubber. I was worried unti I touched it. It feels exactly like I hoped it would. It does feel like an instrument even though it's very unconventional. Does that make sense? It feels the polar opposite of how the Starrlabs z7s I had felt, which was crude. The Rise has a very kind of refined feel to it.

I wouldn't leave it uncovered in a room that a cat has access to. I have a cat that loves to bite rubbery things and I can imagine a leap off it might leave punctures. That said, I bet it could stand a lot of puncture wounds before it affecting your playing. In my experience, silicon also retains smell. Go take a whiff of your silicon spatula. It smells like the inside of your spice rack and the ghost of a hundred dead animals (unless your a vegatarian, then the ghosts of 100 dead soy plants) So if you're buying one used and don't like the smell of cigarette smoke, make sure you're clear on the question as to wheather or not the owner smokes or gigs in places that allow smoking.

In the end, I have no real idea if the rubber or the underlying tech is going to last. I bet you get at least a decade out of one with frequent playing if you take good care of it. My guess is I trade up for a 61 key version of it long before this one fails.
:tu: Thank you.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

Cinebient wrote:And i don't think the world is not ready for MPE.
Ableton has another huge limitation that makes utterly unsuitable for film composers: it's only stereo, it can't handle another channel.

jabe wrote:It's likely to be a long time before I can afford a Roli keyboard.
Just ask Behringer to make a similar product, it will be sold 150€.

lolilol1975 wrote:
And it will be released with a huge copyright notification then they'll try and sue everyone before or after that has a similar concept.
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

lolilol1975 wrote:
150€ :o :o :o :o :o :o

I'm not made of money!

:(

:D

So i got my RISE 49 in a few weeks ago and finally have begun to set it all up updated to the latest firmware and now my the top half of my rise does not work at all.

Just got my Seaboard RISE 49 yesterday and am having the weirdest issue. When I assign ModWhl (CC1) to the glide strip (in Dashboard), midi monitor sees the modulation data but my synthesizers do not. In my case Equator and Reaktor Form. I tried this in Bitwig and Cubase with no luck. I have 4 keyboards and the synths can see CC1 from all of them. Just not the Roli. How can this be?

In midi monitor, I can see that its sending the exact same data message as the other controllers, on ch. 1. Only difference is the SysEx manufacturer's ID.

I've spent hours on this so any help is greatly appreciated!

Best,

IA

xibalba wrote:So i got my RISE 49 in a few weeks ago and finally have begun to set it all up updated to the latest firmware and now my the top half of my rise does not work at all.
Someone here had the same issue. You should contact the Roli support.
But yeah, annoying for sure.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”