Wow the virus really isn't that special after all.

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Virus TI

oxygenmask wrote: It's refreshing to not hear "hardware is better" every three seconds.
That's because you have it wrong .. it's ANALOG hardware is better. VA stuff is for kids.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

wow, this thread still going?

is it written somewhere, that because I have a virus, I can't own software, or analog hardware?, as I confess I do
I also don't care who else owns one, if it can be emulated, its not 'hip' , virus does what i want/need... is this morally wrong?

Im law abiding, and don't want to be breaching a law - it would be a shame to get rid of something I really enjoy, and be forced to make a tough decision. (Im in Europe, in case this is just a state law somewhere in the US)

if its still within the law... then I guess those that like/enjoy them can keep them, and those that don't can sell (or not worry about buying one if they don't have one)

You can mod z3ta to be a virus

arkmabat wrote:You can mod z3ta to be a virus
It'll only have the sampled oscillator waveforms then though, right? No change in filters, envelopes, or functionality. Judging from sound demos of the Virus, its filters sound nothing like Z3TA's. There are synths which filters were specifically modelled after the Virus' filters, like Spires Infecto filter, or Synthmasters digital filters (which sound pretty different though to Spire's one...).

Does this go for Z3ta+ 2, as well? I'd thought those waveforms only work in Z3ta+ 1.

Isn't the Virus essentially a Virtual Analog synth? So it's nothing vastly different from a software synth and there a probably software synths that have a more sophisticated analog-modelling process going on (like Diva).

Izak Synthiemental wrote:Isn't the Virus essentially a Virtual Analog synth? So it's nothing vastly different from a software synth and there a probably software synths that have a more sophisticated analog-modelling process going on (like Diva).
They won't sound like the Virus though. You wouldn't buy a Korg MS-20, if you want to have that Moog sound either, right?

Izak Synthiemental wrote:Isn't the Virus essentially a Virtual Analog synth? So it's nothing vastly different from a software synth and there a probably software synths that have a more sophisticated analog-modelling process going on (like Diva).
Yes, although no one outside of Access knows what else might be going on. Access also created the Kemper Amp Profiler and I wouldn't be surprised if some of that technology originated from the Virus.

Personally, as someone who is a big fan of old analogs, I prefer the sound of DIVA over the sound of the Virus. However, as someone who has been through 3 decades of synth music, I also acknowledge how important the sound of the Virus was for a good long while. As someone said earlier in this thread, we're only having this conversation because of how good virtual instruments have gotten in the last couple years and they weren't this good 5 years ago.

Uncle E wrote:
Yes, although no one outside of Access knows what else might be going on. Access also created the Kemper Amp Profiler and I wouldn't be surprised if some of that technology originated from the Virus.

Personally, as someone who is a big fan of old analogs, I prefer the sound of DIVA over the sound of the Virus. However, as someone who has been through 3 decades of synth music, I also acknowledge how important the sound of the Virus was for a good long while. As someone said earlier in this thread, we're only having this conversation because of how good virtual instruments have gotten in the last couple years and they weren't this good 5 years ago.
Very true. It's also important to make the distinction between "VA" and "VVA" (virtual vintage analog) Diva, is going for a virtual vintage sound, taking characteristics from well known vintage classics. The Virus isn't really doing that at all unless you count their "Moog" emulation (which never sounded anything like a Moog filter to me) Access was always going for "modern" when they designed the Virus.

So, that said, VA is only a bit of what a Virus actually does. Frankly I thought of it as more of a wavetable synth than a VA, much in the way you'd think of the Blofeld. Actually, if you don't like the Virus, check out the Blofeld. In my opinion it's a more interesting sounding instrument and more suited to my music. (though I admit I just use Largo and I'm happy with it)
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

No you can't ;)
The creator of the Virus mod fr4ncesco told the mod was inspired by the virus but it won't turn it into one.

zerocrossing wrote:Access was always going for "modern" when they designed the Virus.
True! Back when the Virus A came out, a virtual analog that had 12 voices polyphony and 16 voices multimbral was unheard of. People were completely blown away that we could finally make music with nothing more than a Virus and a sampler. I think the Access succeeded more because of this than because of its actual sound, and then everyone using it caused its signature sound to eventually become something that people sought out.

D-Fusion wrote:
No you can't ;)
The creator of the Virus mod fr4ncesco told the mod was inspired by the virus but it won't turn it into one.
That remember me of my old drag queen neighbour who thought he is a miss just because he break in a new pair of shoes. :D
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

thetechnobear wrote:is it written somewhere, that because I have a virus, I can't own software, or analog hardware?
No

Z3ta+ Virus mod...

It's the same if you sample waveform cycles of the Virus and build a wavetable from it to use it in Serum... It sounds like a typical VA! Yes, and the Virus is a typical VA like dozens of other synth ;)
But there is also the unison implementation or Hypersaw stuff, the filters, envelopes and all this things. That's why also Z3ta+ is not a Virus if using the sampled oscillators from a Virus.
The good thing is only that the Virus modules are IMO not very outstanding or that nobody could make similar things and so a lot of newer synth can sound similar (not 100% close but often good enough that many would not tell the difference in a mix).

4damind wrote:But there is also the unison implementation or Hypersaw stuff, the filters, envelopes and all this things.
Is Hive not generally considered to be a Virus replacement? I thought that's what Urs was going for. I mention it now because I think it does all these things, no?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”