Roland XD-JA and XD-Ji

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The XD-JA has a lot of spiffy features, full sized keys on 4 octaves, and the hybrid analog/digital thing going for it.

The XD-Ji has minikeys (ew o.0), a lot of the same features but it smaller.

The JA I've seen go for about $2,300 USD to $3,000 USD.

The Ji is about $400-700 USD by glancing at Ebay.

But, compared to similarly priced synths, how do they stack up? It seems kind of like an all-in-one kind of synth and being their new "flagship" synth I guess it's supposed to have all the bells and whistles, but I'd think something like that would have more than 4 octaves to make the greatest use of multiple channels simultaneously (say playing bass and lead at same time).

Has anyone here ever played with/on either? Any certain impressions they gave you or any particular opinion? I've read a couple of reviews but I wanted to hear what people here had to say as well.

I own a JD-Xi. I love it. Whether it stacks up to other synths depends entirely on what you want to use it for. Looking at price range, my personal comparison would be something like:

1. It is a broader sounding synth (Rompler + VA wavetable + analog mono synth) and a more featured vocoder than minikorg or mininova.

2. It is a far better featured "Groovebox" than Korg's new Electribes with respect to sound editing and shaping possibilities. Though it has lesser tracks than the Electribe (only 2 digital tracks, 1 monosynth/vocoder track and a drum track) a digital patch can consist of three different tones which each their env, filter and lfo settings, so you can create complex rhythmic patterns with one digital patch only.

3. The monosynth is very restricted. One DCO with sub osc: Saw, Tri or Square with pulze width + sub square , so if it’s the analog part you are in for, you’d be better off with Korg MS20 mini, Bass Station 2, Mopho, Mini/Micro Brute or similar.

You will have to love the synergy of a complex digital engine, a basic analog mono synth or vocoder (cannot use both vocoder and analog synth) and a bunch of classical Roland drum machines in one package to make it worth it in general. If you are interested in one part only there are better alternatives, I’d say.

I would of thought they would of wanted the monosynth to at least match the other ones on the market, since everyone had begged them to do analog for years. It sounds kind of like maybe it was an after thought. Why won't it let you use it as well as the vocoder at the same time?

Katelyn wrote:I would of thought they would of wanted the monosynth to at least match the other ones on the market, since everyone had begged them to do analog for years. It sounds kind of like maybe it was an after thought. Why won't it let you use it as well as the vocoder at the same time?
Well I think the JD-Xi is aiming to conquer the 1 Oscillator mono-synth market where prices
usually range from $200 to $300 so it's a pretty good deal having in mind that you get
this plus a digital/supernatural synth and a groovebox. Oh...and keys!. Most 1 Osc. small
monos are just little desktop boxes.

Katelyn wrote:Why won't it let you use it as well as the vocoder at the same time?
I think it is a question of distributing cpu power. Would have been nice with a seperate vocoder track though.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”