Moog Mother - 32 Semi Modular Synth

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Absolute email quoting £499.99 uk release expected mid November...love to get into modular...scare the shit out of my little mind!

one oscillator. meh.

justin3am wrote: Honestly, I'm always so enthusiastic and positive about stuff like this... I just wanted to take a shit on something everyone else is raving about, for once. :hihi:
:lol:

Everyone needs to take a good thread crap every now and again to keep their insides cleaned out. :D

Oddly you're one of the ones I thought would like it and I thought I wouldn't. It is Euro, has an FM input and mixers, + routable MIDI messaging to CV. It has a snazzy sequencer. Because of the slightly different architecture it actually doesn't sound exactly like a Moog. It's still on the syrupy/sweeter side though. The one thing I'm disappointed in that I'm hoping to discover when I get it, is the ability to sync the VCO.

So, I'm surprised you don't want it and I bought it. About exactly the opposite as I figured going in.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Frantz wrote:one oscillator. meh.
That is why you need at least 2 units, or better 3. :)

Btw +1 :tu: for MoogMusic. They are going in the right direction.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

We're talking the guts of $2k for 3 units ,

Is this good value versus other modular set ups & how much are you paying for Moog name?

Mutant wrote:
Frantz wrote:one oscillator. meh.
That is why you need at least 2 units, or better 3. :)
Btw +1 :tu: for MoogMusic. They are going in the right direction.
You don't need 2 M32s really. The point of modular is patching in the parts you want. Getting additional VCO input is trivial. As stated before, this is a gateway drug for Euro. VCOs grow on trees in Euro.

ere2learn wrote:We're talking the guts of $2k for 3 units ,

Is this good value versus other modular set ups & how much are you paying for Moog name?
IMO this is possibly the most financially reasonable product I've ever seen from Moog in comparison to the market they are entering.

ere2learn wrote:We're talking the guts of $2k for 3 units ,

The spec of a Mother-32 is roughly one VCO, one VCF, one LFO, one AD EG, MIDI/CV and a digital sequencer, over here supposedly at £499

Comparing that to something similar-ish from Doepfer, you're at roughly the spec of a Dark Energy II, ie one VCO, one VCF, two LFO, one ADSR EG, and MIDI/CV. Over here at £369 or so.

Doepfer modules, though, tend to be a bit cheaper than the 'boutique' alternatives in Euroland, £60-£80 for most of their filter choices, compared to what can be £160 plus for some boutique filters by companies like TipTop or Pittsburgh.

I think youre getting one hell of a bargain, whatever the name.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: The spec of a Mother-32 is roughly one VCO, one VCF, one LFO, one AD EG, MIDI/CV and a digital sequencer, over here supposedly at £499

Comparing that to something similar-ish from Doepfer, you're at roughly the spec of a Dark Energy II, ie one VCO, one VCF, two LFO, one ADSR EG, and MIDI/CV. Over here at £369 or so.
Interesting, over here DE II is slightly more than the M32. Of course import costs and all coming this way contribute to that. And the opposite going your way.

Anyhow it is a good comparison. DE II has some things M32 doesn't and vice versa.

Yes, compare Mother-32 to Intellijel's Atlantis. $100 more. No sequencer, no MIDI>CV. Sure the Atlantis does have features Mother lacks (sync, full featured envelopes)... Still it seems like a great deal.

My gear budget is all going to one project over the next year or so but the more I read the more attractive this Milf becomes. Maybe I'll sell my Microbrute... :oops:

justin3am wrote:Yes, compare Mother-32 to Intellijel's Atlantis. $100 more. No sequencer, no MIDI>CV. Sure the Atlantis does have features Mother lacks (sync, full featured envelopes)... Still it seems like a great deal.

My gear budget is all going to one project over the next year or so but the more I read the more attractive this Milf becomes. Maybe I'll sell my Microbrute... :oops:
Actually pairing the 2 together would be a powerful setup.

I'll mention the Kilpatrick Phenol which cost me £450 :
has 2 oscillators with fm/pwm/sync,audio ins, 2 filters with Fm, 2 envelopes (which have multiple modes including loopable and stepped ARP function ) 2 VCAs plus an LFO,Adder, Divider, mixer and digital delay.
Has midi and USB midi in and a recordable sequencer.
Cables can be stacked which really extends functionality.

This is pretty good bang for the buck and is freaking awesome for 'West Coast' shit :)
Amazon: why not use an alternative

I have to say Moog really nailed it with the audio demos on this one. So many decent instruments are let down by mediocre or poor demos.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma ... I can pick up a pair of moog VX352 + VX351 for just over 50% of retail.

I feel like I owe it to the voyager to expand it's possibilities... but I'm tempted by the Mother-32

VariKusBrainZ wrote:I'll mention the Kilpatrick Phenol which cost me £450 :
was that on the kickstarter? because postmodular are looking for £730 for one...
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:
VariKusBrainZ wrote:I'll mention the Kilpatrick Phenol which cost me £450 :
was that on the kickstarter? because postmodular are looking for £730 for one...
Yes, got it on Kickstarter.

Wow, that is pricey!!!
Guess I was lucky with the Pound being strong at the time and not being charged any import duty / tax :tu:
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”