Moog Mother - 32 Semi Modular Synth

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Must be boring being a knob/switch designer at Moog, those haven't changed much since '70

Numanoid wrote:Must be boring being a knob/switch designer at Moog, those haven't changed much since '70
They have changed much internally, and the shape stays similar because it's the best possible shape. It has more than just "aesthetics" in mind, it allows the best grip and precision. Each knob is usable even with a single finger, thanks to the notches, and with two fingers, you don't only get better grip, you can also know the current value without even looking at the knob, because you can feel how the edges of the notches are aligned. There's no reason to change to fancy switches either, when those work perfectly. I've used synths with many kinds of knobs, and I can say that this knob design is by far the best. That's a big advantage of the 5U format, and not by chance, such knobs are used by most 5U/MU module manufacturers, when there are no space restrictions.
"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi

Excuse me for saying something a little indifferent about a Moog product :scared:

I have no idea what people are saying about Moog products, I just thought I'd explain what's behind this design in case you didn't know. Anyway, I see that this synth has a single VCO, so it's uninteresting to me. Not buyer-wise (I'm already set), just generally.

Shy wrote: Anyway, I see that this synth has a single VCO, so it's uninteresting to me. Not buyer-wise (I'm already set), just generally.
That kind of misses the point of "modular" and/or "semi-modular".
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Shy wrote:I have no idea what people are saying about Moog products, I just thought I'd explain what's behind this design in case you didn't know. Anyway, I see that this synth has a single VCO, so it's uninteresting to me. Not buyer-wise (I'm already set), just generally.
Ahhh, but like a lot of modular users I already have a ton of VCS's (I have 10 other VCO's in my modular all different flavours and 8 more in in my A4), this adds 'another flavour' (vanilla moog, which is fine when mixed with Braids, Clouds etc.) - its aimed firmly at the rapidly growing at modular market or as an extension for other moogs (phatty etc.) - perfect price to performance point for me...(my Minibrute only has 1 osc and its sounds great) but if yopu want a 2 osc synth, the mini rack of two for $1000 bucks is still pretty good....get that second sequencer modulating filters etc :-)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SJ_Digriz wrote:
Shy wrote: Anyway, I see that this synth has a single VCO, so it's uninteresting to me. Not buyer-wise (I'm already set), just generally.
But if Shy prefers "standalone" synths, that is his point to make.

Not everybody is into modular setups.

Numanoid wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:
But if Shy prefers "standalone" synths, that is his point to make.
Indeed. But of course he hasn't made any point about preferring standalone synths.
Not everybody is into modular setups.
Shy, is though; he actually owns a modular system, which might be why SJ_Digriz thought to point out that the single VCO is mitigated by the system's modularity.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

SJ_Digriz wrote:
I don't see this as a "modular synth" product, maybe semi-modular, and since it's supposed to be sufficiently usable independently of other products, I think one VCO is far too limited. Two VCOs, including sync and whatever, would have made it a nice little synth. But I guess Moog knows something I don't know about the synth market.

whyterabbyt wrote:Shy, is though; he actually owns a modular system, which might be why SJ_Digriz thought to point out that the single VCO is mitigated by the system's modularity.
Suddenly I realized that the Numbo you refer to in your signature, got to be yourself :hihi:

by the time you slap 2 delays, 90% wet reverb, a decimator and a chorus on it, the number of VCO's won't matter much. :hihi:
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Shy wrote:I don't see this as a "modular synth" product, maybe semi-modular, and since it's supposed to be sufficiently usable independently of other products, I think one VCO is far too limited. Two VCOs, including sync and whatever, would have made it a nice little synth. But I guess Moog knows something I don't know about the synth market.
Maybe they see it as a doorway drug.

All the more if you'll end up wanting another VCO. So, someone sees this as a starter into modular, at this price (if I had money...), and then grows from there...
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Numanoid wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:Shy, is though; he actually owns a modular system, which might be why SJ_Digriz thought to point out that the single VCO is mitigated by the system's modularity.
Suddenly I realized that the Numbo you refer to in your signature, got to be yourself :hihi:
No, you're just mistaken or confused. Again.

Have you actually got something useful to contribute to this thread about analogue semi-modular hardware, perhaps? That would be an interesting change, and I'm sure everyone else here, most of whom actually have an interest in the topic, would appreciate you trying for that rather than inanity.

whyterabbyt wrote:Have you actually got something useful to contribute to this thread about analogue semi-modular hardware, perhaps?
Well do I understand you correctly that you and PC Numbo have discussed the issue together, and is gonna ban me now then?

...and the persistence of the questioning and interrogation! :scared:
Last edited by Numanoid on Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Have you actually got something useful to contribute to this thread about analogue semi-modular hardware, perhaps?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”