Korg Minilogue

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Uncle E wrote:
IncarnateX wrote:They were supposed to be much more clicky but it was hard to reproduce the infamous error, so the clicks must be enjoyed at a subliminal level given they are there at all.
It's possible that Korg is now shipping Minilogue's with the new firmware that fixed the click.
Damn! Should have ordered much earlier :dog:

I love my Minilogue, couldn't care less about presets. A little bit of tweaking and understanding and lovemaking and you'll be happy!

Oh, also found myself using it for bass this weekend... Added to that fact I do have the bass station II as well... But overall in the mix, the Minilogue did a very good contribution delivering dope deep tones.

Can't wait to see what Dorian Concept will make of this synth...

HEART -> MINILOGUE

If you like modern electronic music you will like this synth. It's also a good starter synthesiser to learn subtractive synthesis and is capable of some extreme >< subtle electro sounds.

Uncle E wrote:It's possible that Korg is now shipping Minilogue's with the new firmware that fixed the click.
Actually it doesn't. Just noticed I am on 1.04. I will update now for the sake of the delay synth mode. I can make minilogue click allright but eleminate it with some attack and release, just like it was said ages ago in this thread and later confirmed a couple of times. Would never have thought of this as an error. My JP8000's ability to click makes minilogue's ditto a pissant beside the elephant man.

Worst bug is still the very noisy delay, imo. Close to useless. I am running minilogue through my MC909 instead. With some Rolandish chorus and a proper delay, this baby shines like the sun :D

IncarnateX wrote:Worst bug is still the very noisy delay, imo. Close to useless. I am running minilogue through my MC909 instead. With some Rolandish chorus and a proper delay, this baby shines like the sun :D
I completely disagree. I love the very noisy delay. I more or less look at it as two instruments in one- there is the Minilogue, and then there is the noisy delay which I perform by manipulating the feedback amount and delay time controls, while occasionally injecting some fresh new material into the feedback loop from the Minilogue. I'm not even joking... I have plenty of nice delays to choose from, but less options when it comes to very noisy delays. Sadly, it isn't as noisy as the Volca Keys, which in turn isn't as noisy as the Monotron Delay.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

To each, his own. Diversity is no threat to me.
Last edited by IncarnateX on Mon May 09, 2016 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the delay on the volca is effing useless as well. sure, 0.5 times out of ten it's nice for some thick lo-fi shenanigans... but the rest of the time I'd prefer a rudimentary, noiseless delay or to bypass the thing altogether. This is one area I'd like to see korg put a bit more sheen into in future analogue stuff ...

I don't mind a noisy delay, I just wish they'd given it an option to be clean, as well.

sure. of course. an option to switch between would be tremendous. unlikely though, and if it has to be a choice well the rudimentary noiseless/much-less-noisey delay gets my vote...especially in volcas and up.

save that super lofi shenanigans for the monotrons, and maybe even littlebits or whatever that lego-ish thing was called.

Uncle E wrote:I don't mind a noisy delay, I just wish they'd given it an option to be clean, as well.
Exactly. Though minilogue is still bang for the buck. Just ordered a Behringer DD400 delay to compensate. Only 44 €, so thats okay for a quick fix.

This synth rocks my socks. I am still exploring it's bass potentials, they are countless. Only thing that scratches a little is the fact that you cannot shape one vco without shaping the other when using it as lfo destination. Would have been nice with e.g. a stable saw combined with a pwm square.

Here are some more tests. This time I sent it through my MC909 and added some chorus, delay and reverb to give it space and debth.

I have tried to dial in some clicks for some electro percussion effects now and then, mostly the last half of the test sessions. However, I am still a little dissapointed. Had hoped they would be much louder.

https://soundcloud.com/incarnatex/clicktoris

https://soundcloud.com/incarnatex/will-it-click

https://soundcloud.com/incarnatex/sickforclick

Anyway, if analog bass is what you are looking for, the features and options of Minilogue exceed everything else in it's price range. That I am pretty sure of.

you're not experiencing the infamous nasty click cos it was fixed since 1.11 firmware.
before it clicked like a bitch even on pads. it was unusable. now I'd say it is perfect. it clicks only when you expect it to click (with 0 attack and 0 release) as result of fast enevelopes.....while before it was a nasty phasing click which you couldn't get rid of without compromising the sound.
for the price minilogue now it is exceptional. a must buy even great as midi controller (all knobs and switches send midi and the keyboard is more than playable despite smaller keys) .
I would love it even more if the motion sequencer sent cc midi to a DAW. it only sends notes so far.
also I'm struggling on how to achieve a sample and hold modulation. there is a preset called filtermotion which has a sample and hold curve (so i copy the motion sequence from that when i need S&H)....not sure how he achieved it considering by hand it is pretty impossible.
if in the step sequencer you could allocate a different CC/Knob value per step then would be easy to do...but as per current firmware still can't. you can only record the live tweaking on the motion sequencer.

to make the minilogue even better I hope Korg implement these in future firmware:
+ option to send the Motion Sequencer cc/miidi values to DAW
+ option for recording of knob positions per step in the Step Sequencer mode
+ preview of preset name before saving (saving over one of your best presets by mistake is not fun)

btw I love the delay....it doubles up also a reverb thanks to it's noisiness. once you find the sweet spots it's very useful. you can easily write entire songs with minilogue and nothing else apart from a bit of mastering.

the only thing I don't like about minilogue now ...it's the silver colour :clown: (hopefully some faceplates to buy somehwere will pop up :idea: ).
my dream

olikana wrote:you're not experiencing the infamous nasty click cos it was fixed since 1.11 firmware.
before it clicked like a bitch even on pads. it was unusable.
Look at my posts above. I could eleminate the clicks even when I was on 1.04 as shown with my first line of bass tests (previous page), so I don't buy it. Besides Korg mentions nothing about eliminating clicks in the 1.11 firmware, but only this:
・Ver 1.11
Fixed a bug with the trigger volume when in DELAY voice mode.

・Ver 1.10
Improved stability of voice trigger control.
Minor bug fixes.
Now if you listen to my last line of bass tests above, you will hear that I am indeed able to reproduce clicks (and use them musically), this time with the 1.11 firmware. They are just not so pronounced as one should think reading this thread

IMO, it was all a case of hysteria. At worst I had to dial up the attack to about 20 minutes to 12, while having a release at 5 to 12 but it was dependent on whether I would use the triangle wave.

From all the demos posted while people were still on 1.04, I'd say it is pretty obvious that this synth never has been "unusable"...relative to the knowledge, skills and talent of the user, naturally 8)

the triggering was infact the cause of the annoying click fest that occurred before as voices resetted from 0 on keypress and not from the last stage the attack reached. it was an erroneously programmed envelope that would cause ciclks even when playing sounds with attack and release raised, even on pads. what you have in your sound examples is normal analog clcik from fast enevlopes (nothing wrong with that, infact desirable for punchy sounds) and not the unnatural click from abrupt voice trigger as was present before and that people rightly complained about.
Last edited by olikana on Wed May 25, 2016 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

olikana wrote:it was an erroneously programmed envelope that would cause ciclks even when playing sounds with attack and release raised, even on pads.
As said and as showed in my first line of bass tests, which has no clicks, I could eliminate them with attack and release raised, even on 1.04. Unless you are trying to say that I am lying about being on 1.04 during my first tests on the previous page or use the "subliminal clicks" argument and claim the first tests are full of them, I'd say you have been proven wrong. At least as far as these types of sounds concern.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”