I'm getting a Linnstrument Dammit!

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've seen all the videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjcVcrl7XgU

I'm guessing it will arrive in two weeks and a half weeks.
First I need to transfer the balance from my BOA account to paypal.
Which is still in the process (damn 5 day processing) Then it'll take roughly 5 to 7 business days to arrive.

I'm totally psych'd. And... it's going to be a lot of work.
For a guitarist if you are sitting with it in a "lap" position not only is everything upside down and backwards it's also got a few other challenges. I printed a screen capture that is fairly faithful to the actual dimensions and I'm "tapping" on it to work out scales and chords.

The scaling has been coming along fairly well... the chords... a bit more of a challenge.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

post up your impressions when you get it... :tu:

Heck if I could play like that on a regular keyboard, I'd settle for that. :D

I tried to play keys for years and years. I was devoted. Took lessons, practiced for hours.
Every time I had a musical idea I wanted to play on the piano it took forever to work out. Then I'd pick up the guitar and it would just happen.

I've been playing guitar since the 70's and midi guitar since the 80's Challenges yes, frustrations yes, regrets no. I've been playing ztar's for 9 years now. Not perfect but closer to than anything before.

The Linnstrument will be work, no doubt about it. I'm diligent I'll make it my own in time.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

tapper mike wrote:I tried to play keys for years and years. I was devoted. Took lessons, practiced for hours.
Every time I had a musical idea I wanted to play on the piano it took forever to work out. Then I'd pick up the guitar and it would just happen.

I've been playing guitar since the 70's and midi guitar since the 80's Challenges yes, frustrations yes, regrets no. I've been playing ztar's for 9 years now. Not perfect but closer to than anything before.

The Linnstrument will be work, no doubt about it. I'm diligent I'll make it my own in time.
Funny I feel the same way about guitar. I've been learning acoustic guitar for the past 8 months now and can't for the life of me figure out how to play bar chords without pain in my thumb. It requires much more physical dexterity than the piano, to me. I get quickly disappointed after playing a few bars of bar chords(no pun). :neutral:

Piano though feels like home - I don't have to think about it - it just plays itself :D

Congrats! I've decided I need one as well, unfortunately wallet disagrees. Looking forward to hearing your experiences anyway!

Looks way cool, like a hi-tech Chapman stick!

Hope it works with bluetooth or some wireless connection to the laptop/module it is hooked up with.

Having to deal with a USB cord is not so cool when wanting to move around

If you have an iPad go grab the GeoShred, just released, then you'll get a lot of practice until it arrives :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAObD11pooM

Its basically a touchscreen linnstrument. I was amazed at the playabiity, it also has physical modelling that sounds good, I actually took the step to get sound recording from my ipad within hours of getting this app since it can do good slide guitar bluesy stuff and it has good guitar like sounds. (Bonus is the patches can be tweaked in great detail, including the physical models, and shutting off all the effects to get a dry recording etc)

mrj1nx wrote:
Its basically a touchscreen linnstrument.
There was no mention of note per midi channel or midi out to control VST's in that video

Yep I agree, There are many things that simply wouldn't be available on the Geo-Shred due to the way the surface of the ipad operates. Such as polyphonic fully independent control over each note as an example playing three notes on one "String" like a ztar or a linnstrument and varying the pressure / after pressure (string per channel / row per channel)

tapper mike wrote:Yep I agree, There are many things that simply wouldn't be available on the Geo-Shred due to the way the surface of the ipad operates. Such as polyphonic fully independent control over each note as an example playing three notes on one "String" like a ztar or a linnstrument and varying the pressure / after pressure (string per channel / row per channel)
I just checked... GeoShred does not current output midi so it cannot run a VST at all... let alone in MPE mode

I didnt say its a 100% replacement, but you could use it to practice while waiting.

Rudess is playing the GeoShred on an iPad Pro.

Why not make the GeoShred a VSTi so it can be used on a Surface Pro or even better a multi-touch screen.
In my case a 23" Viewsonic 10-touch monitor. Then you can have 4 instances of GeoShred on one screen.

I'm leaning more towards a Seaboard precisely because I know I'll never put in the work to get good at the Linnstrument layout. I'm right there with keyman sam... 30 years of playing guitar and I still suck. 40 years of piano and I'm at least semi-competent, so I'll go with the more familiar layout. Plus I already have an Ableton Push 2, so I've had a taste of grid controllers. But really, they're all pretty awesome. I would have bought a Continuum years ago if they weren't so expensive, or a Soundplane if they were PC-compatible.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:I'm leaning more towards a Seaboard precisely because I know I'll never put in the work to get good at the Linnstrument layout. I'm right there with keyman sam... 30 years of playing guitar and I still suck. 40 years of piano and I'm at least semi-competent, so I'll go with the more familiar layout. Plus I already have an Ableton Push 2, so I've had a taste of grid controllers. But really, they're all pretty awesome. I would have bought a Continuum years ago if they weren't so expensive, or a Soundplane if they were PC-compatible.
I occasionally see Continuum's on ebay.
I am now committed to my 23" Viewsonic 10 touch monitor and hope more
iPad apps are ported to the Windows environment.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”