Oberheim/Dave Smith OB-6

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Age of VST is coming to an end?
For me nothing interesting was released in 2015. VSTs reached their peak and there is no need to clone existing synths. We need to wait for new ideas and better designs.

Analog, however, it's just doing the opposite. All the things I didn't like or missed in analog are now coming in force.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

2015 saw a considerable amount of analog releases, and the eurorack market is absolutely booming.

There's way less free VSTis released than 10 years ago... where can I get under this snowfall? :)

DJ Warmonger wrote:For me nothing interesting was released in 2015
Not even Omnisphere 2 or Falcon ?
DJ Warmonger wrote:VSTs reached their peak and there is no need to clone existing synths.
Those synths add more new things than they clone from the past

.jon wrote:and the eurorack market is absolutely booming
Can you point to a link showing sale numbers

Not even Omnisphere 2 or Falcon ?
Maybe. But they look like more of the same at the cost of price and complexity.

Maybe Omnisphere browser adds some value with the amount of different patches and techniques possible. By the way VIP keyboards use similiar concept.
Might be difficult since Eurorack business is fragmented and powered by indie companies. But the amount of modules is growing quickly and new companies enter the market, there must be demand for it.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Numanoid wrote:
.jon wrote:and the eurorack market is absolutely booming
Can you point a link showing it's not booming

idk man, it just appears to me that VSTi market is dying while analog is rapidly heading towards a new renessaince, I don't have a stake in either but I find it quite natural, the promises of VST technology never quite delivered. It's great for some stuff (advanced , complex digital synthesis), and not so much for playable analog synthesis.

.jon wrote:Can you point a link showing it's not booming
Yes you can link to this post, I'm saying that it is not booming, so that gotta be true then
it just appears to me that VSTi market is dying
It is not dying, if you need a source of information, just link to this post, as I stated it here

VSTi market is not dying but it is saturated nevertheless.

We are leaving a gold era of synths, both HW and software, even better than the first one because stuff is actually affordable to a lot of people and companys are comign out with stuff at all price points.
dedication to flying

Numanoid wrote:
Yes you can link to this post, I'm saying that it is not booming, so that gotta be true then
I talk to Shawn Cleary of Analogue Haven (one of the biggest dealers of Eurorack gear, since at least 2008) on a regular basis and as far as he is concerned, his business is booming. That is why there is now a market for 4 stores which sell Eurorack modules, in Los Angeles alone.

I don't think he would provide me with sales numbers but he has told me some things that I found very surprising.

I can't say how long the boom will last but I'm happy to see all of these new toys coming up. There has been so much stuff that is interesting to me announced at NAMM this past two years, I'm having a tough time keeping track. The best part is, some cool stuff that doesn't get hyped enough becomes forgotten about a year later and goes on crazy clearance status!

Win-Win as far as I'm concerned!

Oh yeah and that OB-6 sounds pretty nice to me. :)

rod_zero wrote:We are leaving a gold era of synths, both HW and software, even better than the first one because stuff is actually affordable to a lot of people and companys are comign out with stuff at all price points.
Totally agreed!

Numanoid wrote:
Yes you can link to this post, I'm saying that it is booming, so that gotta be true then
it just appears to me that VSTi market is dying
It is dying, if you need a source of information, just link to this post, as I stated it here
Cheers mate

Yeah, that's all great. Can we get back on the topic of my OP-6 crowdfunding campaign now, please?
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

My VSTi's definitely aren't going anywhere...even when I had a few analog synths around, I still used way more sounds from software than hardware (but then, when I was a kid dreaming about getting a new synth, I was lusting after a PPG Wave, not a Jupiter or an Obie, so I've probably always been drawn to digitals and hybrids).

That said, I just noted in another thread that there weren't any currently produced hardware synths I could get really excited about wanting to own. This one at least has the possibility of inspiring some desire to buy a new hardware synth for the first time in several years. We'll see.
http://www.davidvector.com
New album, Chasing Fire, out now on Amazon, iTunes, etc.
Bandcamp: https://davidvector.bandcamp.com/releases

DJ Warmonger wrote:VSTs reached their peak and there is no need to clone existing synths. We need to wait for new ideas and better designs.
Like PPG Phonem. Absolutely not mainstream, but being quite complex (too complex for the average EDM/D&B affectionado) I doubt it will be sold in huge numbers.
And there still is room for clones, see U-he RePro.

But I very much like all this new hardware. Hope developments will not stop soon.

Albert.VST wrote:
DJ Warmonger wrote:VSTs reached their peak and there is no need to clone existing synths. We need to wait for new ideas and better designs.
Like PPG Phonem. Absolutely not mainstream, but being quite complex (too complex for the average EDM/D&B affectionado) I doubt it will be sold in huge numbers.
I doubt it too, as long as there is no demo.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”