Oberheim/Dave Smith OB-6

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Maybe am remembering the models wrong, but the 4 voice dsi tetra is "very close or identical" to half a prophet 8. Shares patches with P8 and can be used as a P8 voice expander. When I was reading up on the P8 and tetra, as best I recall I read multiple reviewers commenting that the synth can make sounds very reminiscent of old OB-8. I don't know one way or t'other. I liked other poly synths better than OB-8 back then. Maybe the folks who say that P8 can sound similar to OB-8 are full of it. The P8 and tetra online demos sounded purt good to me regardless.

Its been so long ago, can't recall if OB-8 had multimode filters or whatnot. This new dsi oberheim synth architecture may be more like the earlier SEM based oberheim 4 voice and 8 voice. I remember liking the early 4 voice and 8 voice when I played em, more than some of the later oberheim synths. But can't recall if a four voice was especially likely to sound much like an OB-8.

So maybe an oberheim fan would have good use out of a prophet 8 or tetra, AND that new OB-6.

I kinda regret not getting a matrix-12 back in the day. Liked that one a lot.

I really like what I've heard so far and I really want one. The reality is that it's out of my range at the moment and I will be quite happy with a Minilogue for now. But hopefully these will be out long enough that I might be able to get one eventually. Given the choice between a Prophet6 and the OB-6 initially I was really excited by the Prophet (having had one back in the day), but this one is calling to me even more, lol.

DodgingRain wrote: Just damn that looks mighty expensive compared to the minilogue even given the spec's difference. For that price I should be able to order custom woodends with it.
Would you be satisfied with a Minilogue-like custom wooden back instead?

(An odd design decision I think. And the Minilogue's case is just slightly larger, maybe an inch or so, than 19" rack equipment, plus it's keys are set down inside the bottom's plastic tray. It may protect the keys from damage but it will be difficult to clean under them. It would be interesting to know Korg's rationale behind these decisions.)

8)
바보

No offense to Korg, but the OB-6 is going to blow the Minilogue out of the water in terms of sound. The Minilogue is great with it's features and sound at that price, but there are reasons the OB-6 costs more: greater sound/features.
JCJR wrote: Its been so long ago, can't recall if OB-8 had multimode filters or whatnot. This new dsi oberheim synth architecture may be more like the earlier SEM based oberheim 4 voice and 8 voice. I remember liking the early 4 voice and 8 voice when I played em, more than some of the later oberheim synths. But can't recall if a four voice was especially likely to sound much like an OB-8.

So maybe an oberheim fan would have good use out of a prophet 8 or tetra, AND that new OB-6.

The OB-8 had a switchable LPF with a 12db or 24db slope, whereas the SEM was a LPF, HPF, BP and BR (Band Reject) filter with a 12db slope. The SEM's filter was much more flexible and sounded superb even though it wasn't 24db. Completely different sounding synths.

The Matrix 12, which I never owned, seemed like it was more tame than other Oberheim in basic sound. But the draw was it's crazy modulation ability and 16 filter types to choose from. I would say that it sounds more digital than all the Oberheims, but a really cool sounding digital. Of course, it is actually analog, but I'm just saying. I would be super interested to hear someone compare the OB-Xa and OB-8 with the new OB-6. But I will say that even if the OB-6 were to not sound as vintage as the others, I'd say that the great onboard effects it has built in make up for it providing more sonic potential with Oberheim sound.

The 0B-6 seems excellent and will be different sounding than the Minilogue because of that SEM filter. And that's not even taking into account that different features, build quality, etc., and of course the different price points/markets that they are aimed at. Both are equally good in different ways, imo and I'm sure you can make great music (or equally crappy music) on either one. Personally, I think it's great that the analog market is alive and well and that we do have these choices available to us.

I can't believe a minilogue/ob-6 comparison is even being made.

maybe we'll compare a classic ferrari with a ford pinto next, just to bring it into the car analogy domain for maximum nonsense.

Daags wrote:I can't believe a minilogue/ob-6 comparison is even being made.

maybe we'll compare a classic ferrari with a ford pinto next, just to bring it into the car analogy domain for maximum nonsense.
Believe it. It IS KVR after all. :D

Sequent wrote:

Believe it. It IS KVR after all. :D
:D

anywho, more OB-6 sounds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aajpQVaKod8

So you think that ob-6 is ford pinto... well done.
Murderous duck!

Both the OB-6 and Prophet 6 are simply incredible, decades of experience married with modern engineering. I'd much rather have either of these than any famed classic.

I don't believe the OB-8 had multimode filters. Just a low pass that was switchable between 2-pole and 4-pole.

I think several of the videos mentioned that the OB-6 is based on the SEMs... it's building on the current SEM instruments that Tom O is offering. At least that is what I got from watching those videos.

As such, it makes the OB-6 more desirable than ever. I liked the OB-8 series, but like you, I also preferred the sound of the early SEM-based 4-voice.

Well... regardless, at least it isn't that "anomaly" that bore the OB name created by Viscount a number of years ago! :lol:

http://www.matrixsynth.com/2015/11/oberheim-ob-12.html
JCJR wrote:Maybe am remembering the models wrong, but the 4 voice dsi tetra is "very close or identical" to half a prophet 8. Shares patches with P8 and can be used as a P8 voice expander. When I was reading up on the P8 and tetra, as best I recall I read multiple reviewers commenting that the synth can make sounds very reminiscent of old OB-8. I don't know one way or t'other. I liked other poly synths better than OB-8 back then. Maybe the folks who say that P8 can sound similar to OB-8 are full of it. The P8 and tetra online demos sounded purt good to me regardless.

Its been so long ago, can't recall if OB-8 had multimode filters or whatnot. This new dsi oberheim synth architecture may be more like the earlier SEM based oberheim 4 voice and 8 voice. I remember liking the early 4 voice and 8 voice when I played em, more than some of the later oberheim synths. But can't recall if a four voice was especially likely to sound much like an OB-8.

Just saw spotted this video. Definitely based on the old SEM Oberheims...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK4kozEwjP4

he mis-speaks 'matrix 6' at one point ... and then at the end, when asked about his future plans, he says 'well if you look at the history of my synths since my first release, it should be clear' .... so, wishful thinking has me wishing for a matrix12/6/xpander re-issue...

one thing I'm also uncertain about, would be happy if someone could confirm: he talks about the prophet 6 and ob 6 using the same digital controllers, but that each use their own unique analogue voice cards. So, each voice card contains envelope generators, or is that - in the case of these particular instruments - in the domain of the universal digital control that both units share ?

Eek, I sure hope these things have analogue envelopes or faster DACs. I can't bear the stepping, e.g. in DSIs earlier synths.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”