Midi to CV options (standalone)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

Im thinking of getting a Doepfer Dark Link but was wondering if theres anything with more bang for the buck?

http://www.doepfer.de/Dark_Link_e.htm

I have looked around but this seems the best for the price
Amazon: why not use an alternative

If you need CV in Eurorack, there are plenty of options: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/modules/b ... der=newest
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote:If you need CV in Eurorack, there are plenty of options: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/modules/b ... der=newest
But he asked for a stand-alone option.

The Dark Link has a fair amount of outputs for the price. I used to use an MCV4 and currently use an A-190-1 (Euro) which are decent, if a bit fiddly to program.

For a bit more, you could get a BeatStep Pro. Even if you ignore the sequencer and MIDI controller functions, it can operate as a MIDI>CV converter which has two 1v/Oct CV, two velocity CV, two gate and 8 trigger outputs and clock/reset outputs.

The Kenton boxes have more options but they are also more expensive.

Occasionally you can find a good deal on an Encore Expressionist but that's still going to be >$350.

Thanks for the replies :)

Il be using this with a Phenol which already has built in midi to gate/cv but want to expand this so I can can use software/ Notron Latronic to add extra modulation possibilities.

Was also looking into second hand dc coupled sound cards as my Rme doesn't so this, though the headphone so ket might.

Or, Maybe I'll start to build a little euro rack with a converter and then have the option of adding in extra stuff to compliment the Phenol.

I'm was kind of looking for the cheapest but best option to get extra CV.

The Korg SQ-1 has MIDI to CV capabilities.. it support volts/oct and Hz/volt (early MS-20 and Yamaha CS synths) Hz/volt is limited to 3 Octave range but it is there which is rare. It also has MIDI out which can be active at the same time. It has a built in sequencer that can spit out two channels of CV and MIDI out.... it can chase to midi clock through the USB port from your DAW. So you get a basic sequencer with some neat live playing tricks (random, slide, reverse, active step, step repeat). The sequencer can be split into two discreet channels of 8 steps. Price about $100 USD. Runs on batteries or USB power. I have one integrated into my studio.. Some times I sequence 8 steps on my MiniBrute and 8 steps on my CS-5 or sometimes I just use the midi to cv and sequence both synths using my DAW. I have also done setups where I sequence the pitch and trigger with one channel of the SQ-1 in 8 steps and sequence the filter cutoff in 8 steps. THe only drawback with the sequencer that I have experienced is you can't transpose the sequence unless you reprogram the steps but what the hell.... so many features. If you need more sequencer functions just use the midi to CV through your DAW and bypass the sequencer.

VariKusBrainZ wrote:Hi,

Im thinking of getting a Doepfer Dark Link but was wondering if theres anything with more bang for the buck?

http://www.doepfer.de/Dark_Link_e.htm

I have looked around but this seems the best for the price

The old Novation Bass Station rack had C/V conversion, then there's Silent Way if your interface supports it. I think the Arturia Brutes can output CV as well?

Scotty wrote:The Korg SQ-1 has MIDI to CV capabilities..
:dog: I'd forgotten about this one, despite owning two of them...
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:
Scotty wrote:The Korg SQ-1 has MIDI to CV capabilities..
:dog: I'd forgotten about this one, despite owning two of them...
Yup, been considering this one since it's release but just doesn't do enough for me, though it seems very good value.

I'm being greedy and want more than 2 CVs

Thanks for all the input though, much obliged :D

VariKusBrainZ wrote:I'm being greedy and want more than 2 CVs
Well, Ive also got a Doepfer MCV24 and an Expert Sleepers ES-1. ;) (and as a CV sequencer, a MAQ16/3)

whyterabbyt wrote:
Well, Ive also got a Doepfer MCV24 and an Expert Sleepers ES-1. ;) (and as a CV sequencer, a MAQ16/3)
You've reminded me I have a battered old Regelwerk!

Would that do for CV or does it just output gate?

Always seemed to forget any midi assignments I tried to setup, or maybe I've been doing it wrong

The hardware options coming from Arturia look really good.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

VariKusBrainZ wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
You've reminded me I have a battered old Regelwerk!

Would that do for CV or does it just output gate?
Quick check would suggest it has CV and gate, but I honestly have no idea if you can go MIDI->CV with it; it might just be internally generated only, I found a review that says they're 'for sequence playback only'. Best to dig through the manuals.

VariKusBrainZ wrote:Or, Maybe I'll start to build a little euro rack with a converter and then have the option of adding in extra stuff to compliment the Phenol.

Not the cheapest option, but a good one..
Expert Sleepers ES3+MiniDSP USBStreamer = 8 channels of high resolution DC coupled output from your DAW, with a +/-10v range. Add an ES6 and you can get 6 channels back into your DAW (DC coupled) for CV processing. Ever run a CV signal through a delay?

This setup will cost >$600 but it's worth it.

justin3am wrote:
VariKusBrainZ wrote:Or, Maybe I'll start to build a little euro rack with a converter and then have the option of adding in extra stuff to compliment the Phenol.

Not the cheapest option, but a good one..
Expert Sleepers ES3+MiniDSP USBStreamer = 8 channels of high resolution DC coupled output from your DAW, with a +/-10v range. Add an ES6 and you can get 6 channels back into your DAW (DC coupled) for CV processing. Ever run a CV signal through a delay?

This setup will cost >$600 but it's worth it.
Indeed that's interesting. Will archive that post for another year when I try Eurorack ;)
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Thanks again Chaps.

Im seriously trying to hold on to the contents of my wallet and not splurge and face the consequences later, like I usually do :dog:

Ill bide my time and keep an eye on eBay

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”