Is this the transformer I need?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello everyone

I recently bought an Akai ME80P MIDI patchbay from 'Japan' that needs a transformer to convert 230W from the 'UK' electrical system into 100W for the module to run. I found this device online and was hoping someone could confirm whether I have chosen the correct device or not.

Thanks for reading

Webpage - http://www.cricklewoodelectronics.com/T ... wwodnuQLpQ

Its definitely the right type of device, although I couldn't tell you if the 100V socket on it will match what the patchbay needs. Ive used one of those stepdwon transformers successfully for a while with something I had that was 100V gear and an odd voltage (Lexicon Vortex, I think?), though I eventually found a matching 240V PSU.

You could also ask EvilDragon (another KVR member) about the results of getting the transformer in his redone for 240V...

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... g-psu.html
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:Its definitely the right type of device, although I couldn't tell you if the 100V socket on it will match what the patchbay needs. Ive used one of those stepdwon transformers successfully for a while with something I had that was 100V gear and an odd voltage (Lexicon Vortex, I think?), though I eventually found a matching 240V PSU.

You could also ask EvilDragon (another KVR member) about the results of getting the transformer in his redone for 240V...

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... g-psu.html
Well the ME80P specifies that 100W is the correct amount of wattage needed to power the unit.

Sorry, I just meant physically; the actual holes for the plug on the transformer. There's a few international variations in power plugs physically, ive only used one of these transformers with an American 100V device, not a Japanese one. I couldnt tell you if the transformer in your picture will take a Japanese plug, just that it'll step the voltage down appropriately.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Hi, just chiming in here as I live in Japan and I'm from the UK so have converted voltages either way from time to time.

Short answer is 'Yes'.

But points to consider:

First, that transformer looks OK in that the socket will accept a Japanese 2 prong plug - it's compatible with a US socket. However, make sure you are ordering the correct converter. There's a lot of confused spec on that linked page. You need a step down, ideally 240v - 100v but 230v to 110v should be within range - Japan is 100v but such devices should be fine with 110v (not sure about 120v but the Akai's internal transformer and regulating circuit would probably deal with it). Zooming the image we can see it is the correct converter but the product title on that page suggests it is converting the otherway :? And there appear to be various voltage figures quoted 110, 120, etc. Which is it? Perhaps it is better not to order from them if their product info is mixed up?

Secondly, take care with cheap converters/transformers as they can often introduce noise and hum. You might find it becomes unusable. Here's a similar, if not identicle product, you might want read the reviews below: cheap voltage converter on amazon

Anyway, ideally, you need something that accepts 240v as input and outputs 100v to power the Akai. A type 'A' socket will accept the Japanese power cord (same as US plugs).

Cheers

Just be sure to double check everything, as with transformers, there is always more than meets the eye to consider...

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”