good edm hardware drum machine?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Take a look at the Radikal Technology's Spectralis.

http://www.radikaltechnologies.com/spec ... sizer.html

More potential options are from MFB - Tanzbar, Tanzmaus, Tanzbar Lite

TheoM wrote:
I think it will be the rytm as my main beast (the kicks out of that thing sound so tight), and a cheap alesis SR18 as well for backup when i run out of voices in the other. I can get one in perfect condition for a couple hundred bucks and they have tons of preset kits ready to use.
Since you can put a different preset per step, the voices go farther than one would otherwise expect.

Also, the Rytm sounds amazing. Last year Elektron had a contest to make a song from any single Elektron machine. There were many entries from the various different machines (Octatrack, A4, Monomachine, Rytm, etc.) I consistently found the Rytm entries the best sounding of the lot (to my ear of course). It was an interesting study and surely still available should you want to listen.

The synthesis in the Rytm is solid and the ability to use/layer samples is the icing. Samples through the analog signal path sound great... something alive there.

The pads are on the stiff side. Not my favorites, but they work well enough to not be a problem for me. From your description of your drumming abilities (no offense meant) it does not sound like you will be doing lots of finger drumming anyway.

The sequencer takes a bit of effort to get fluid with, but then it is fun, creative and powerful. Of course you can sequence it from your daw too.

if you do buy the RYTM, make sure you don't pay a penny more than the going rate...and also keep in mind your re-selling options are somewhat restricted since you are located in Australia. So, just keep all those figures in mind before you spend a dime so that you can minimise your losses in the event that you decide to sell it on.

I'm sure you're probably doing these internal calculations anyway, but I'm really just saying...there's a good chance you'll be selling this RYTM on.

Funny that there are so many recommendations for ANALOG drum machines for EDM. Thought there's mainly (say, to 100%) samples used for EDM drums and percussions. Unfortunately, OP doesn't want any computer to be involved obviously, Spark would be a great choice for EDM. I don't see any 808, 909 or analog drum machine as a good choice, basically because EDM drums usually consist of multi layered, maybe even already processed samples. Unless you do trap or the likes.

Probably even better to use a reasonably featured VA synth for drum creating, because it won't limit yourself like most drum machines do.

define 'EDM' ... not just in terms of acronym, but in terms of musical examples, genre guidelines etc.

as far as I can tell it is a meaningless catch all term at this stage.

:shrug:

Maybe Theo should do the defining part, after all it was his request. :) All i can say is that in what you'd call "EDM" nowadays, there's usually samples involved. Check some producer videos, there's noone i know who does his drum sounds himself. It's a very tedious work doing those multi sampled, processed, banging kicks. Which are prominently present in many sample packs.

chk071 wrote:Maybe Theo should do the defining part, after all it was his request. :) All i can say is that in what you'd call "EDM" nowadays, there's usually samples involved. Check some producer videos, there's noone i know who does his drum sounds himself. It's a very tedious work doing those multi sampled, processed, banging kicks.

I didn't ask Theo though.

Your advice, and dismissal of other's analogue suggestions, was clear cut enough that you should be working under a clear definition of what 'EDM' is. But now it's clear that you're not really operating under any such definition - unless you are willing to tell us what is it you would call 'EDM' nowadays ? ... if I am reading you right, you don't seem to know either and are relying on the drum preferences of some tutorials you seen ?

like i said... 'EDM': meaningless, catch all term. Thus: analogue, digital - it's all good.

Daags wrote: I didn't ask Theo though.
But he's the one who matters here. All we have is a term, EDM. And going by the nowadays definition of that term, recommending an analog drum machine is just BS. But hey, Theo has to know himself what he strives to do with it. Maybe it's meant to be an inspiring tool to play with, or he does Deep House or whatever genre (Techno, Minimal), which doesn't (in some cases) require multi layered, processed banger stuff. That's why it would be important to know which musical genre he'd like to do with it, maybe even with artist or track references. Saying that, i bet he knows well enough what he does there anyway though, so this discussion might be (and most probably is) obsolete anyway.

ok, house, progressive dance, commercial pop/dance, trance, hard trance, and tad of goa.

Euro dance/hands up dance I am doing more of now these days too.

Kick is covered with metrum anyway.. i can live with that.. what i need are percussions mainly to create my OWN unique grooves.. i am so sick of drum loops.

Imagine i have metrum playing a great kick, and i jam on the hardware box and create the rest of the "main loop" with it..then i could separate all those parts out for intros and build ups.

I am pretty impressed with the sound of spark since this topic and checking it out more, and *may* just invest 300 bucks (AU) and get the little LE controller for it.. after all, it can't hurt. Much cheaper than maschine.

I watched demo vids on the spark hardware and it seems really easy to use. It seems i can also import samples when i absolutely (rarely) will want to.

But i still want something hardware that generates its own sounds that i can't get with plugins. At this stage i am leaning towards machine drum now to start me off as it's cheap here and is covering a variety of synthesis. Remember it's not just dance music i do but lots of ambient story telling stuff and traditional pop.

Great thread so far, thanks guys

Ok, Theo, then i'll rest my case. :) Good call on the Spark or SparkLe though, it really looks great, and i'm quite fond of the software, which i purchased here not long ago too (don't own the hardware, only the software). Lots of content, and also drum synthesis possible. I don't think i'll really run out of options with it soon, considering i can also load external samples with it. The GUI is a tad confusing and crowded at times, but only a minor annoyance IMO.

Spark? You're welcome :hihi:

The Spark is really great for the genres mentioned by Theo. The software sounds modern and in your face with deeper synthesis options when needed. And the midi controller is surprisingly well build. The SparkLE is a bargain at 175 - 200 euro, but it is not stand alone. I did have a review unit for my blog and saw myself a lot staring at the computer screen. Editing sounds was faster with the mouse most of the time.

Yep, I'd recommend the Elektron Analog Rytm too for an all-in-one solution.

However, depending on budget and inclination, I'd recommend this combo as a great way to sculpt and sequence your own hardware drum beats.
Because my Vermona and Cirklon are beautiful together :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ImNotDedYet wrote:More potential options are from MFB - Tanzbar, Tanzmaus, Tanzbar Lite
+1

Tanzbar sounds fantastic. I really don't need another drum machine, but I'd love to get that one.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”