What's your favourite knobby controller?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Maschine is definitely my favourite, would have bought a studio if it had 16 dials
Duh

Definitely Novation remote SLMKii
Great editing and lots of functions, only thing I miss is a pot for instant MIDI channel change, like my PCR has...

soundklinik wrote:Definitely Novation remote SLMKii
Great editing and lots of functions, only thing I miss is a pot for instant MIDI channel change, like my PCR has...
I was looking at the Remote a couple of days ago and quickly moved on because of my horrid experienced with Automap - but please refresh my memory... automap isn't necessary, right? Can you program it to be a 100% stand alone midi controller?

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

bungle wrote:Maschine is definitely my favourite, would have bought a studio if it had 16 dials
How do you use Maschine as a controller and in what DAW? What configuration? I'm interested in this too..I have the studio.

@ DrGonzo ... Automap is optional. I don't use it with my ReMote SL which controls both software and hardware devices.

thecontrolcentre wrote:@ DrGonzo ... Automap is optional. I don't use it with my ReMote SL which controls both software and hardware devices.
No automap required? Thanks - now it's back on the radar again! :)

/C
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

DrGonzo wrote:
soundklinik wrote:Definitely Novation remote SLMKii
I was looking at the Remote a couple of days ago and quickly moved on because of my horrid experienced with Automap - but please refresh my memory... automap isn't necessary, right? Can you program it to be a 100% stand alone midi controller?

/C
DrGonzo, the Automap is not necessary as it was mentioned above. BUT! it is soooo nice to have. I had problem with it at first when I got it [few weeks ago], (not recognized, was asking me to install it etc, editor didn't work, I uninstalled/re-installed al software, problems gone) when it works, it works like a charm.
Mind you I don't use it for mapping VSTs yet, just for immediate tweaking CC change. I still didn't use it to its potential...e.i. sending program changes TO! SL to change templates etc....it has some incredible stuff possible, not sure if I will ever use it...

EVERYTHING can be programed away from computer, and to great depth.
I bought mine second hand for 120 euros. When I got it, controls were jumping all over the place in display. It was too sensitive, you touched a pot and it would jump between rows of displays...
I had to RE-CALIBRATE via the Automap, it also updated OS and now works like a charm.
Reason I am mentioning it, is if you find a used one, and display "jumps", it's that. However, if it doesn't fix this after calibration, it is, [could be] defective.

2 big ++s: It can be used directly with iPad with CCK cable
Novation's customer support is so great, I called [about the jumping] and a knowledgeable person told me what I need to do. Immediate solution. I really appreciate that.

soundklinik wrote: DrGonzo, the Automap is not necessary as it was mentioned above. BUT! it is soooo nice to have. I had problem with it at first when I got it [few weeks ago], (not recognized, was asking me to install it etc, editor didn't work, I uninstalled/re-installed al software, problems gone) when it works, it works like a charm.
Mind you I don't use it for mapping VSTs yet, just for immediate tweaking CC change. I still didn't use it to its potential...e.i. sending program changes TO! SL to change templates etc....it has some incredible stuff possible, not sure if I will ever use it...

EVERYTHING can be programed away from computer, and to great depth.
I bought mine second hand for 120 euros. When I got it, controls were jumping all over the place in display. It was too sensitive, you touched a pot and it would jump between rows of displays...
I had to RE-CALIBRATE via the Automap, it also updated OS and now works like a charm.
Reason I am mentioning it, is if you find a used one, and display "jumps", it's that. However, if it doesn't fix this after calibration, it is, [could be] defective.

2 big ++s: It can be used directly with iPad with CCK cable
Novation's customer support is so great, I called [about the jumping] and a knowledgeable person told me what I need to do. Immediate solution. I really appreciate that.
Thanks! That's really good to know. Something similar happened to my KingKorg as well when I got it. Buttons triggering other buttons and all kinds of weirdness. But a calibration fixed that too.

I'm not religiously against Automap, and I am sure it has come a long way since the Novation Nocturn - but just the thing it works like a wrapper can cause huge problems further down the lane. It did for me at least.

/C

The SL will appear as any other USB device. Just don't install Automap.

Disengage Automap mode on the SL after you launch your daw (one button) and you're ready to go, with knobs/Sliders mapped by default to different midi CCs.

I dont use automap anymore due to the wrapper problem ( It created proprietary versions of the synths, and if you reload a project without automap properly installed on a system, these versions wont load)

An user reported that with the last versions of Automap, this problem is gone ( ie if automap is not installed, the project will load with the regular version of the VSTI - dont know if it will load with the right 'preset' or 'settings' btw) I did not test it tbh. But good if this issue is solved.

I now prefer to map midi CCs parameters inside the plug in itself. And tend to use more plug ins hat make it possible. Fwiw
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

As lotuzia says, you "don't need it",... unless you want to update OS and re-calibrate the pots etc.
The editor works on its own...you almost don't even need the editor, because all can be done on the SL, but it's much easier and faster on PC.
I think the Automap has been updated, it is on v. 4.8...no problems AFAIK.

For knobbly knobs for me it has to be this:

Bought the BCRXL script for Ableton ( http://isotonikstudios.com/sigabort/bcr/ ) and combined with Push 2 its a controller's paradise !

Just got my PUSH 2 last week ... could be my new fave 8)

@mcbpete

I agree. Waiting for the end of the month :)

When I saw your post OP, I was going to suggest a 3X. Thing is, haven't used mine since I left Snow Leopard, so now it just sits there gathering dust. Shame. Not the first time I've shelved decent hardware due to OS/driver abandonment. Don't think I'll buy any more that's dependent on an OS to be honest. This is the reason for wanting the industry to develop a kickass standalone sampling/synths/sequencer box.

markoos wrote:When I saw your post OP, I was going to suggest a 3X. Thing is, haven't used mine since I left Snow Leopard, so now it just sits there gathering dust. Shame. Not the first time I've shelved decent hardware due to OS/driver abandonment. Don't think I'll buy any more that's dependent on an OS to be honest. This is the reason for wanting the industry to develop a kickass standalone sampling/synths/sequencer box.
I'm using my 3X with Yosemite and apart from the general wonkyness of the editor itself - it's working fine here. What OS are you using?

/C

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”