FX Pedals Thread: News, Views, Etc.

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Xiangqi wrote:I'll always wonder -- 'is the LEF-305 the same thing as the Holy War?'
It's the same thing. I ordered samples from Rowin in the past, they do OEM builds for a lot of companies.

My favorite cheap Chinese pedal is the Biyang AD-7 analog delay. The clocking on it is all over the place and completely ridiculous, so don't use it for for accurate tempo synced stuff, but it's great for creating chorused reverb-like ambiences. The clocking is so bad that it's basically a modulation delay, which is exactly why I love it.

Xiangqi wrote:Alert: Watch out for 'Hoerev' pedals. I ordered 5 distinct 'Hoerev' pedals, and received instead 5 'Rowin' equivalents. The equivalents were good enough, but part of the 'bait and switch' was a 'Hoerev Holy War' distortion to a 'Rowin LEF-305'. An email to support got no response.

The good part is that a $45 looper pedal was part of the package; it looks like it's the same pedal, regardless of branding. That actually goes for all 5, although I'll always wonder -- 'is the LEF-305 the same thing as the Holy War?'

As an aside, I've noticed Tomsline has a Holy War.

Disclaimer: I'm not even into holy wars per se, but it sure is a great name for a distortion pedal.

(edited)
:hihi: Careful with that, if used too much you'll rust in peace in Hangar18.

Uncle E wrote:
Xiangqi wrote:I'll always wonder -- 'is the LEF-305 the same thing as the Holy War?'
It's the same thing. I ordered samples from Rowin in the past, they do OEM builds for a lot of companies.

My favorite cheap Chinese pedal is the Biyang AD-7 analog delay. The clocking on it is all over the place and completely ridiculous, so don't use it for for accurate tempo synced stuff, but it's great for creating chorused reverb-like ambiences. The clocking is so bad that it's basically a modulation delay, which is exactly why I love it.
Reminds me my Bleahringer plasticfantastic analog delay, the grey one.
Instant tonesucked dubby foam, and has wet-only output..like anyone would want that on loops or sends.. :lol:

Uncle E wrote:My favorite cheap Chinese pedal is the Biyang AD-7 analog delay. The clocking on it is all over the place and completely ridiculous, so don't use it for for accurate tempo synced stuff, but it's great for creating chorused reverb-like ambiences. The clocking is so bad that it's basically a modulation delay, which is exactly why I love it.
I'm trying to figure out the differences between the different Biyang delays. Biyang's info is not very clear and there's all kinds of conflicting information out there.

As far as I can tell, the AD-7 is one PT2399, while the AD-8, -10 and -12 are two PT2399s. Biyang themselves only say the dual chips are to "greatly improve the delay fidelity and increase the realism of the delay time" :roll: I can't find anywhere that explains the difference between the 8, 10 and 12 aside from their enclosures though.

foosnark wrote:I'm trying to figure out the differences between the different Biyang delays. Biyang's info is not very clear and there's all kinds of conflicting information out there.

As far as I can tell, the AD-7 is one PT2399, while the AD-8, -10 and -12 are two PT2399s. Biyang themselves only say the dual chips are to "greatly improve the delay fidelity and increase the realism of the delay time" :roll: I can't find anywhere that explains the difference between the 8, 10 and 12 aside from their enclosures though.
I have an AD-7 and a friend of mine has an AD-8. They both have the same modulation and chime when used at the 600ms setting and both sound crappy when used at the 1100ms setting.

going to have to get one of those biyang delays.

on order: aroma amo-3 mario bitcrusher (looks like it has a tomsline graphic on it), behringer uc200 chorus, behringer vd400 delay, biyang fz-10 fuzz, joyo voodoo octave.

whoah... has anyone seen/heard this hotone PP10 pedal?: http://www.amazon.com/Hotone-PP-10-Dyna ... B01DI92I7C

anybody have the red panda bitmap?: http://www.amazon.com/Red-Panda-Bitmap- ... B00QVPUUIU

Xiangqi wrote:whoah... has anyone seen/heard this hotone PP10 pedal?: http://www.amazon.com/Hotone-PP-10-Dyna ... B01DI92I7C
Cool! If you guys want that, I can order it and sell it for cheaper.

Xiangqi wrote: whoah... has anyone seen/heard this hotone PP10 pedal?: http://www.amazon.com/Hotone-PP-10-Dyna ... B01DI92I7C
never, that's freaky.
wanna-get-back-on-guitar kind of freaky. :lol:

Uncle E wrote:
Cool! If you guys want that, I can order it and sell it for cheaper.
if you stock it, i'm there. might take a couple of weeks or a month, but yeah. also, maybe look into the SP10 and the VP10?

ooh, how about a pp10/creme brulee bundle?

I just noticed that the Hotone Vow Press has a mode for combination wah+volume. Seems pretty cool.

A quick question, which probably requires a long answer.

I've been looking at Dumble type pedals and am wondering which one to get. The HoTone Grass seems good (better than the Tomsline/Aroma) but are there any others in the same price range worth a try?

For context, the Klon type pedal I use is the EHX Soul Food. It's not a purists one but it sounds great and the price is good.

And the long bit, what is the Dumble sound? I have no clue apart from a warm, mild (compared to my usual noisefest) overdrive, from what I've heard.
I miss MindPrint. My TRIO needs a big brother.

IMHO There's way too much hype about the actual amp (much like the Klon pedal) but I can't argue with their positive influence. The Klon like pedals I've tried sound mostly great and the Dumble like ones I've listened to sound good too. Both enhance/add edge whilst leaving the guitar sound/character in tact. The EHX LPB-1 does the same, but without the edge.

khanyz wrote:I've been looking at Dumble type pedals and am wondering which one to get.
Most people say the Simble is the best. I've had the Zendrive, Zendrive 2, Freekish Blues, and Joyo, the Zendrive 2 was my favorite of those.
For context, the Klon type pedal I use is the EHX Soul Food. It's not a purists one but it sounds great and the price is good.
It sounds quite different from a Klon but cool in its own way.
And the long bit, what is the Dumble sound? I have no clue apart from a warm, mild (compared to my usual noisefest) overdrive, from what I've heard.
I used to have a Music Man that Fuchs modified to an Dumble/ODS circuit. All the Dumble pedals I've played were super smooth so I expected this amp to sound similar, but it was actually more of a rough Santana kind of sound.

Aren't Freekish Blues just Joyos? There was a big furore over it.

How different is the Soul Food? It's transparent by EHX standards but that's usually not very (from my experience) and not as responsive to dynamics (but easily good enough for my bassist cum guitarist style). So is that the only difference or is there a different frequency emphasis too? I've not really played too long with any others.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”