Elektron: Machinedrum & MonoMachine discontinued...

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As always.. i appreciate your thorough reply, but see, i record all to daw. It sounds like the UW might have a basic kind of effectrix thing built in?.. i can only really see that being useful to live performers.. i'll stick with the baby and try find one even cheaper :) I just want the pure drum synthesis, and hip hop is one genre i never do.. so it's perfect for me it seems!

TheoM wrote:As always.. i appreciate your thorough reply, but see, i record all to daw. It sounds like the UW might have a basic kind of effectrix thing built in?.. i can only really see that being useful to live performers.. i'll stick with the baby and try find one even cheaper :) I just want the pure drum synthesis, and hip hop is one genre i never do.. so it's perfect for me it seems!

Pity you didn't snap one up before the discontinuation announcement ... Which obviously gives sellers an advantage. You could usually get the best used deals on the vanilla MD. Anyway, worst case scenario shouldn't really boost used prices by that much. Don't sleep on it though, if you really want one.

Also keep an eye on whether the unit is mkI or mkII... You could probably find a very good deal on a mkI

Daags wrote:
TheoM wrote:As always.. i appreciate your thorough reply, but see, i record all to daw. It sounds like the UW might have a basic kind of effectrix thing built in?.. i can only really see that being useful to live performers.. i'll stick with the baby and try find one even cheaper :) I just want the pure drum synthesis, and hip hop is one genre i never do.. so it's perfect for me it seems!

Pity you didn't snap one up before the discontinuation announcement ... Which obviously gives sellers an advantage. You could usually get the best used deals on the vanilla MD. Anyway, worst case scenario shouldn't really boost used prices by that much. Don't sleep on it though, if you really want one.

Also keep an eye on whether the unit is mkI or mkII... You could probably find a very good deal on a mkI
i think i'll just get it direct. I'm a bit peeved cause i went to buy an overbridge hub here and they want 150 bucks, and elektron's price is 100 aud. So it's just the typical aussie distributor mark up price gouging that NEVER follows the real dollar value (when our dollar was stronger than the USD, we still payed more LOL).

I'll probably just get both from elektron before the W/E is over, just checking out as many sound demos as I can find right now. Surely from Elektron since they are a brand new batch it would have to be a mark 2 yes?

And just to clarify, is that correct re the UW, it has a beat repeater/stutter type functionality, did i understand that right?

TheoM wrote: i think i'll just get it direct. I'm a bit peeved cause i went to buy an overbridge hub here and they want 150 bucks, and elektron's price is 100 aud. So it's just the typical aussie distributor mark up price gouging that NEVER follows the real dollar value (when our dollar was stronger than the USD, we still payed more LOL).

I'll probably just get both from elektron before the W/E is over, just checking out as many sound demos as I can find right now. Surely from Elektron since they are a brand new batch it would have to be a mark 2 yes?

And just to clarify, is that correct re the UW, it has a beat repeater/stutter type functionality, did i understand that right?
curious, why do you want an overhub ? ... you know the machinedrum doesn't have overbridge, right ?
overhub is a fancy usb hub, marketed at people with overbridge capable machines under the assumption that they'll be really pushing the usb bandwidth with multiple overbridge units all sending audio back and forth.... i don't know how it fares against other decent usb 3 hubs in use with overbridge units. but it's worth investigating thoroughly before purchase.

that's shit about the lack of currency parity in Australia, but doesn't that have something to do with shipping and/or smaller distribution numbers after all that shipping effort ? :shrug: anyway, if it's cheaper to buy from abroad then I guess it's obvious where to spend your money...

for what it's worth, even though I'm in the EU i still prefer to buy my elektron gear off my 'favourite' EU retailer since in the event of the unit needing after sales service, they cover transportation costs. they used to offer a longer guarantee too, but if I'm not mistaken Elektron are also offering a 3 yr warranty now.

the userwave model has RAM and ROM machines ...in the ROM machines you use your sampled drum kits, including typical sample parameters to be sequenced and tweaked via the elektron sequencer. The RAM machines are where it gets really interesting, those are the machines which you can use for buffer effects ranging from typical delay/stutter uses to far out experimentalism - which can be applied to internal and external audio.

there are a couple synthesis machines on the vanilla model which come with Retrigger & Retrig-time parameters ... which is basically note-repeat & rate. not what we have in mind when we're discussing buffer effects, but for the synthesis type that features these params it gives it a repeaty/stuttery type of sound when sequenced accordingly.

ok yeah not interested in that stuff.

I want overbridge cause it's a good quality hub for my myriad of usb synths.. elektron said it will work great with them and i need the ports. Second, i pan on getting an anlog rytm and four eventually.

TheoM wrote:I want overbridge cause it's a good quality hub for my myriad of usb synths.. elektron said it will work great with them and i need the ports. Second, i pan on getting an anlog rytm and four eventually.
fair enough!

though i am curious to know if it does perform any better than a 'typical' usb 3 hub.

Daags wrote:
TheoM wrote:I want overbridge cause it's a good quality hub for my myriad of usb synths.. elektron said it will work great with them and i need the ports. Second, i pan on getting an anlog rytm and four eventually.
fair enough!

though i am curious to know if it does perform any better than a 'typical' usb 3 hub.

a good 7 port hub is the same price here anyway, so it balances out.. I mean the same price as the elektron street price , not the ridiculous AU 149 price ;)

wow, after researching these all weekend, i find out the monomachine has formant and fm synthesis and would ahve been ideal for me, and the machine drum is great.. anyway monomachine is out of stock at elektron itself, but i decided to buy a machinedrum.

A pop up comes up telling me I can't because I am from australia! LOL! Just crazy.. cause it tells you AFTER you spend the time reseraching. It then links me to an australian distrbutor who has every elektron product BUT a machinedrum of any kind lol!

So how am i supposed to buy one of the remaining stock>? Being punished from my country and asked to go to a price gouging distributor who undervalues the australian dollar by about 30% than the real value, and doesn't have any to sell anyway? This feels a bit coco loco and doesn't make sense since it is a blowout EOL item.

I have contacted elektron who i doubt will return my email in time before sales cutoff, I have sent a PM to eric at JRR shop hoping he can help me, and finally, I am flat out and publicly begging here that if anyone can help in the US or EU and buy me one for the 599 US, i will paypal gift them the cost right now and shipping cost once they have the ship price, and as a token of appreciation, will definitely owe them one (i already have something in mind about a free plugin give away i was planning anyway, to give them first choice if they want any of them, before i do a raffle).

Anyway anyone reading this who can help out and give me that security blanket that i know i can get one, well, i really will be very grateful. Thanks!

i use the formant synthesis type least of all on the mnm, almost never ... imo it's very unintuitive to program. which is a pity because since before purchase it was perhaps the synthesis type i was looking forward to the most. anyway, i know from hearing what others do with it that it can be programmed to do nice things so i guess it boils down to user error and I just need to put more time in to it.

jrrshop does international delivery ... so why not purchase directly from him ? is he out of stock or something ?

his shop says available in 1 or 2 weeks so i don't think he has stock, which is why i have directly contacted him to try secure one.

kool, but have you put an order in already though ? through the webstore ? ... if not, I think you should ... I would anyway, in your situation.

hey does the FM in monomachine allow the 6 voices to be used entirely for that to play bells and plucks and stuff? I so wish it was 8 voices at *least*

If Jrr can get one, i might choose it as it covers a lot of ground for the price, formant/va/fm/wavetable and SID! Besides the va, *everything* i don't have an am looking for.. one machine for that price to cover all that ground is so worth it.

However the price gouging on ebay has already started, i saw one for like 2 and a half grand that was used LOL.. a 799$ product.. Man that irks me.. I will never ever pay that kind of premium as a lifelong rule, so will scour some dealers and see if someone has one in stock somewhere at the normal price. Maybe JRR can get both or has both, who knows. :)

Daags wrote:kool, but have you put an order in already though ? through the webstore ? ... if not, I think you should ... I would anyway, in your situation.

Nope i can't, cause i have a small CC limit, and if it doesn't work out and I PREpay, then a cc refund will take admin time (maybe depends how quick the store is) plus 5 bank working days (guaranteed for sure) to come back into my account.. I can't take that sort of risk, especially for both, which would zero my card.. imagine he comes back and says no i can't get them then i find one, and can't pay. That's simply not an option till i hear back

TheoM wrote:hey does the FM in monomachine allow the 6 voices to be used entirely for that to play bells and plucks and stuff? I so wish it was 8 voices at *least*

If Jrr can get one, i might choose it as it covers a lot of ground for the price, formant/va/fm/wavetable and SID! Besides the va, *everything* i don't have an am looking for.. one machine for that price to cover all that ground is so worth it.

However the price gouging on ebay has already started, i saw one for like 2 and a half grand that was used LOL.. a 799$ product.. Man that irks me.. I will never ever pay that kind of premium as a lifelong rule, so will scour some dealers and see if someone has one in stock somewhere at the normal price. Maybe JRR can get both or has both, who knows. :)

yes, you can use 6 voices on the same patch. the ebay listing you saw was almost certainly for the keyboard version.
TheoM wrote: Nope i can't, cause i have a small CC limit, and if it doesn't work out and I PREpay, then a cc refund will take admin time (maybe depends how quick the store is) plus 5 bank working days (guaranteed for sure) to come back into my account.. I can't take that sort of risk, especially for both, which would zero my card.. imagine he comes back and says no i can't get them then i find one, and can't pay. That's simply not an option till i hear back
you wouldn't get charged unless the item was instock, ready to dispatch - unless JRRshop operates in a very shady/unorthodox manner - which I seriously doubt. anyway, do what you're comfortable with. but anyone else scrambling for a new one will be putting orders in through the webstore and JRRshop would be duty bound to honour those putting orders in via the webstore, before any emails IMO.

well i checked every store i can think of and they are not in stock anywhere. There is one brand new one on amazon, NON uw, and he wants 1699 USD for it :lol:
go to hell, he can.

I'll find alternatives, not going to stress about it, it's silly to worry. I would probably ultimately regret missing a monomachine more because of sid/fm, as i can get a rytm any time which will still give me great electronic drums (as does a korg electribe which are easily available and cheap). I really like the intuitive way the elektron sequencer works so that's cool, but why stress? All over the web it says go to elektron.se where they are selling the remainder, then it won't let me buy cause of the local distributor. As usual an australian gets butted on an international audio product. Just the way buying things is here mate, fact. Ask any aussie. I just wish i didn't waste my weekend researching them and elektron warned that certain countries would be rejected at the shop. That's pretty suck for an EOL product, a cruel trick to pull really. But of course some how some will think it's my fault, for not trying to buy it first before i decided i want one. well i will in future, cause now i know shit happens!

with JRR, i was under the impression cc was charged at time of checkout, as i said, i can't take the risk, even if i'm not 100% sure.. i need to know via email reply even about that then. If i miss out i miss out. It is what it is.

Someone at kvr could go to elektron se and i could send them the money now and it would be done, so there is still hope for that method. I am willing to pay 599 + ship for a machinedrum and 799 for a monomachine.. not used, not demo.. brand new, and no price gouging. What the elektron price is, is my max. Actually i am pretty sure there is a member here who offers that exact service of buying and sending to international customers..... must find their member name....

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”