4000$ to spend on VA or Analog Synths

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jacqueslacouth wrote:I use my Minibrute to control my Modular without a MIDI interface. Be aware that MIDI-CV modules are in themselves not particularly cheap depending on the amount of functionality you desire from them. I would also give consideration to a Beatstep Pro for controlling/sequencing a modular system.
Thank You, i guess the MB will save me the MIDI Interface then. Now on the BeatStep Pro,
having the BS Pro would actually save me Money on getting a Sequencer in the Modular?
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

BasariStudios wrote:
jacqueslacouth wrote:I use my Minibrute to control my Modular without a MIDI interface. Be aware that MIDI-CV modules are in themselves not particularly cheap depending on the amount of functionality you desire from them. I would also give consideration to a Beatstep Pro for controlling/sequencing a modular system.
Thank You, i guess the MB will save me the MIDI Interface then. Now on the BeatStep Pro,
having the BS Pro would actually save me Money on getting a Sequencer in the Modular?
Honestly, I wish I had done more research into sequencing and got myself the Beatstep Pro (it is now on my shopping list) as opposed to the significantly more expensive (and complicated) René.

The modular grid link comes up blank.

Are you saying you want 1 oscillator for each channel or 2 oscillators for each channel? I'm sure you understand that stereo = 2 of everything. MFB used to make a cheap and cheerful stereo mixer - Drum-98. Circuit Abbey have the Unify and it's expanders.

I have a MicroBrute and a Beatstep Pro and they are great companions for a modular. MIDI>CV is kinda limited as it's really just 1v/oct CV and Gate, I find I need a dedicated MIDI>CV for more expressive patches. I use a MOTU 828mk3 w/ Expert Sleepers ES-3 and Silent Way for controlling the modular from a DAW. 16 CV outputs!

If you start your modular by making compromises, you will either end up selling most of what you have, later (to get what you should have gotten in the first place) or you will have a bad time with modular and end up getting rid of the heap. I lucked out and found a configuration which worked well for me early on, and I've just been adding on to that ever since (~$18k down the rabbit hole at this point).

Honestly, I'd just start with a case and maybe a filter and oscillator which you can patch with the Brute. Then you can start looking into other modules which will supplement what you already have.

Oh yeah, and Maths.

justin3am wrote:

Oh yeah, and Maths.
:tu:

Thanks Guys,
originally and still, i want to get a Sequencer for the Modular too so i do not
have to necesarilly spend 500-600 on BeatStep Pro, besides the Modular i will not
need it anywhere else...any comment on that?

Justin, to address you, i mean simple Stereo, on previous experiences i have taken
to OSCs (on other peoples Modulars) and pan them left and right on a Mixer (Modular)
where you can actually get stereo out. Now the 2 of everything can also be 1 EG
controlling them both, so the Filter and LFO or whatever. I will most likely (95%)
have 3 same exact VCOs to begin with and with Stereo use them like on a conventional
Analog Synth. They can go to a Mixer where they can be Paned post processing and then
to Out module from Mixer. I believe there is Mixers that can do that or Panable VCAs.
Lets say this way i want to achieve OSC 1-2 L/R and OSC 3 Detuned in the Middle.
I should have a Mixer that can support at least 4 OSCs, besides 3 VCOs i might also
get one of those FUNKY OSCs later on or even more.
The Sequencer Part and the Controller part, i have other Keyboards that i can Control
it with, if there is not much expression with MB i do not have to buy it, the sole
reason of buying it for me would be the controlling part and the EG and LFO...unless
it has some incredible OSC and FILTER on its own, i can live without those 2 and for
almost the 1000$ just for them 2 get more Modules, MIDI TO CV e tc. I can still then
control it with my other Keyboard and Sequence in Cubase. I want its own Sequencer
more for Modulation then Musical but Musical is ok too.
And no, i don't really wanna make compromises. The one on Modular Grid is empty because
after i posted the link i deleted everything i thought was nonsense but i will try again.
Can you or someone point me to some of the folowing please:

Dual LOFs, Dual EGs, Quad Panable Mixers and some other stuff like that.
But i do have to start with the typical VCO(3)>VCF(2)>VCA>EG(2)>LFO(2) but
that is another story of ,what i want and need'' and ,,what is Moogish or ARPish''.

If i could keep all the MIDItoCV, LFOs, EGs, Mixers, VCAs and Utilities in the Doepfer
brand would be cool but is not really necessary.

Thanks
Last edited by BasariStudios on Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oh...i am a heavy smoker...and cigarettes too...with Dual Filters!
And as the Last in the Chain that's it, i am sold on this:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/circuit-abbey-unify
Exactly what i meant and need, the Headphones a bonus.

Now you can check the link. Roughly 1100$ minus the case.
Lets say below 1600$ all, the rest of the budget can then
go to VCOs, OSCs, Filters e tc...if i do not get the MB.

I am also getting the Softube Standard Modular without Intellijel
just to see what is up with the Doepfer Modules.
Last edited by BasariStudios on Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Here is a DATA Sheet of what i've roughly come up with.
There might be some overkill or not needed but i don't know.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I'm not sure I'd recommend staring with 3 ADSRs and a Quad LFO. The only thing in your rack that has a CV input is the VCA, so you will have a lot of modulation sources, without many things to modulate. Perhaps this was intentional, just as a jumping off point.

I think it's a good idea to start with the back end of a synth voice (Filters, VCAs, Mixer,) and an interesting modulation source. You've got other synths which you can run through the filters and such... that will give you an idea of the kind of character you'd like in an oscillator to pair with those filters.

I think you are on the right path with the Doepfer MIDI>CV, VCAs and mult, plus the Circuit Abbey and Pittsburgh mixers. Considering what you'd like to do, I'd suggest a dual filter like the Intellijel Korgasmatron and two multifunction modulators (or a single module with dual modulators). For example a pair of Doepfer A-171-2s (which can be envelopes, LFOs or audio oscillators) or a Maths (almost a cliche at this point, they still offer a lot of bang for your buck).

Thanks Justin, the ADSRs and LFOs are on Purpose, the reason i put it there is
how i will probably get it. I am not in much of a dilemma about OSCs and Filters,
but i want a lot of Modulation, i know there is nothing on it now to Modulate but
that is not the point. The problem i have and the help i need is only with the
Modules that are there now, like to see if i can find anything cheaper or whatever,
when will be time for OSCs, Filters and Sound Generators its a different Story.
Maybe i can Cut one ADSR down and a Dual LFO, not Quad, do you know of any?

I just bought the Softube Modular to play around with but i have problem with
one of the Modules, the VCS, shows no License and i can't even hear it, lol.
The reason i got this it will give me a lot of info on the Doepfer stuff.

I have a Specific Questions,
the Doepfer 132-4 VCA, is it both Audio and CV Mixer?
The Multiples, should i just get Active MPs and use MaleFemale
Patching Cable instead of Passive MPs?
I will get some Slew, Invert and other Modules later.

I changed some stuff there, you can check.

Thanks

Yeah, that looks like a good start.

The A132-4 is DC coupled so it can be used for CV but it has an exponential response curve, so input signal will increase in amplitude exponentially. No attenuators, so modulation signals will come in at full amplitude but you can use the Pittsburgh mixer for attenuation.

I have an MFB dual LFO but apparently none of those MFB modules are available right now. :dog:
There is a dual LFO called Kermit from the Harvestman but I think it's more pricey. Maybe the Doepfer quad LFO is the way to go. :hihi:

I like using stack cables and these guys instead of using rack space for multiples. If you plan on using more than two oscillators, you might want a buffered mult to distribute the 1v/oct signal.

Thanks Justin, the LFO is not really a problem, i can even get a couple of Doepfer A-145 Later.
I was thinking the same about MPs, use Cables for Passive and add a Buffered one for more OSCs.
The A-132-4 might be an overkill, maybe the A131VCA, like 2 of them might be good...let's see,
at least its a start somewhere. When it comes to the Sound Generators and Filters it will be easy,
i already know what i want, its a different part of building this. What is left is to chose to get a
MiniBrute or not even waste the 500 bucks for it, just the MIDI Interface and that's it...unless it
has an incredible VCO and Filter. But for that money i can get more stuff for the Modular it self.
One thing, how would i achieve Glide Legato playing on a MOD.? Would there be a Module with
Combination of something else, such as the MIDI Interface instead of adding other Modules for that?
And also i should not forget, something for Syncing from the Outside to DAW or whatever such as
LFO and other things...or if i add Sequencer later.
Thanks

BasariStudios wrote:But for that money i can get more stuff for the Modular it self.
This is always the dilemma!
One thing, how would i achieve Glide Legato playing on a MOD.? Would there be a Module with
Combination of something else, such as the MIDI Interface instead of adding other Modules for that?
Thanks
You can do get glide with a slew module. Legato vs. retrigger would be handled by the MIDI>CV, I guess. Normally you won't get a new gate if you press a new note while holding a note. I think you'd need an extra trigger output to get the envelope to retrigger on additional key presses. I normally handle all that kind of stuff (even envelope generation) in software with Silentway. It's a good way to keep the complex note allocation logic in software and the fun stuff in hardware, if that makes sense.

BasariStudios wrote:Thanks Guys,
have to necesarilly spend 500-600 on BeatStep Pro, besides the Modular i will not
I think Rene + 2x Pressure Points + Brains is a winning combination.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Of course do as you wish... but it seems to me like you might be well served to slow down a bit. You purchased a sub37, a Virus Ti, now a significant modular setup, more software too... no offense meant...

deastman wrote:
BasariStudios wrote:Thanks Guys,
I think Rene + 2x Pressure Points + Brains is a winning combination.
As long as you have suitably sweaty fingers :D

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”