MS-20 Mini or Minilogue?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm torn between the two. I love the sound of the MS-20, but the Minilogue is very tempting. I would use the synth mainly for sound design purpose. Which one do you think is the best for the money?

My personal opinion is that the Minilogue was designed to sell well more than it was designed to sound good. It doesn't stink, but it's not killer either.

MS20. All day.

Another option is to keep saving a little more for an Analogue 4. Which is major killer.

If you want to save more, then look at one of the Boomstars. This is pure analog joy. No menus and a sound to die for. Great modulation options too. Having said that, the sound of those dual MS20 filters is also yummy and worthy of having in your synth arsenal. No experience with the Minilogue so can't comment on that one...
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

they're two completely different synths .... but since you are using it for sound design, which i take to mean as sample creation (since sound design for the minilogue could mean preset creation), I would probably go with the ms-20 mini... since its major disadvantage (mono VS poly) can be easily overcome since you're working with samples.

Daags wrote:they're two completely different synths .... but since you are using it for sound design, which i take to mean as sample creation (since sound design for the minilogue could mean preset creation), I would probably go with the ms-20 mini... since its major disadvantage (mono VS poly) can be easily overcome since you're working with samples.
Yeah, exactly. The Minilogue sounds very good, but I've watched many MS-20 mini YouTube videos and it seems to have a distinct (and pleasant), "edgier" sound. The MS-20's tone (judging by the YouTube vids) seems more retro, which is the kind of sound I prefer. The patch bay is interesting too, I could connect analog gear in it and have an interesting semi-modular setup.

SampleScience wrote:The patch bay is interesting too, I could connect analog gear in it and have an interesting semi-modular setup.
yes indeed. just keep in mind you'll probably want a utility like this to keep things in tune with other analogue modular gear:
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2013/ ... thesizers/

If I could only have one, I might go with the minilogue, even though i like the sound of the ms20 slightly better overall. Just slightly though. They both have unique and very different sounds, so it's kind of tough to compare.

I own an ms-20, my best bud has a minilogue that I've messed with a lot, and borrowed. Pretty easy to get your head around.

I think the reason I would choose the minilogue is mainly workflow. I like to be able to automate a lot of stuff. It makes for more expressive music. I also like to store presets. I might design a great sound, and not have a particular use for it at the moment, so it's great to be able to come back to it. I also write chord stuff a lot, so obviously polyphony is good.

I really admire what they did with the minilogue. It's a unique, highly functional synth. You can really do a lot with it. I plan on getting one eventually. Hopefully not to far off.

Daags wrote:since its major disadvantage (mono VS poly) can be easily overcome since you're working with samples.
Respect what you're saying... But on this point:

PWM/waveshaping
Osc sync
Cross mod
Motion sequencer (flexible modulation of up to 4 parameters)
Voice modes offering detune, sub Osc, midi style delay etc
Velocity
Patch storage
Midi implementation (I use Numerology to send additional envelopes and LFOs to the Minilogue as CCs - for people that want more mod sources, this is one way to do it and it's something the MS20 can't do)

I love the MS20 but let's be real about this: the Minilogue is a WAY better featured, more flexible and versatile synth in almost every way.

Reason to choose the MS20 here is that you love the sound of the filters. And that's a really good reason. But it's a pretty limited synth in many respects. Even the patch bay/semi modular capability is relatively limited. If I could only have one of them, the Minilogue is a better choice imo.

I have an original ("real") MS-20, and also a Minilogue. I've always said that the best use of an MS-20 is for processing external sounds, so if you think you might be doing a lot of that, it would be a good choice. The Minilogue, on the other hand, I just consider to be a really pretty great synth overall. The oscillator section alone is pretty darn flexible and can generate a wide range of waveforms before even hitting the filter. Yes, some concessions were made in the name of cost, but you still get a whole lot for your money.
Last edited by deastman on Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

transmetropolitan wrote:Respect what you're saying... But on this point:

PWM/waveshaping
Osc sync
Cross mod
Velocity
Patch storage
Midi implementation (I use Numerology to send additional envelopes and LFOs to the Minilogue as CCs - for people that want more mod sources, this is one way to do it and it's something the MS20 can't do)

I love the MS20 but let's be real about this: the Minilogue is a WAY better featured, more flexible and versatile synth in almost every way.
The MS-20 is one of my favorite synths of all time but I actually agree with this assessment, especially from a sound design perspective. The Minilogue is capable of more variety.

Neither are great, but the Minilogue is the better of the two.

motorbike sucks when it rains.
ms20 has a widely loved/accepted vibe, but it's success in design depends on needs and taste. Acidy, lab/lofi sounds, distortion, some phis-mod, basic ring-mod, inputs and e.s.p., that's what's behind the reissue, business aside.

What I'd like to know (if possible) is how the two sound together.
MS20xx>kenton USB hub>Minilogue.

So the MS-20xx is controller and the minilogue is the slave.

I would pick up the minilogue because of polyphony, sequencer, arp and presets. It also has full MIDI implementation.
dedication to flying

tehlord wrote:My personal opinion is that the Minilogue was designed to sell well more than it was designed to sound good. It doesn't stink, but it's not killer either.

MS20. All day.

Another option is to keep saving a little more for an Analogue 4. Which is major killer.

+1

transmetropolitan wrote:
Daags wrote:since its major disadvantage (mono VS poly) can be easily overcome since you're working with samples.
Respect what you're saying... But on this point:

PWM/waveshaping
Osc sync
Cross mod
Velocity
Patch storage

Reason to choose the MS20 here is that you love the sound of the filters. And that's a really good reason. But it's a pretty limited synth in many respects. Even the patch bay/semi modular capability is relatively limited. If I could only have one of them, the Minilogue is a better choice imo.
If you get the MS20 mini you can modify it quite easily to have Oscillator Sync.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrwnbE8NBVo

I think there are mods for PWM and a few other things.

Here's a good demo of a multi-tracked MS-20 Mini session imo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTrF-IG5Os8
:borg:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”