MS-20 Mini or Minilogue?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

zaphod betamax wrote:What I'd like to know (if possible) is how the two sound together.
MS20xx>kenton USB hub>Minilogue.

So the MS-20xx is controller and the minilogue is the slave.
I think it would work, the MS20 Mini (or full scale re-edition) does not need any driver as far as I remember... but I would do the other way round, with the Minilogue as a master and the MS-20 Mini as a slave, for these reasons:
- you need only a midi cable from the Minilogue's midi out into the MS-20's midi in (so it's way cheaper than getting that Kenton device or something comparable).
- the Minilogue keyboard has a way better feeling than the MS-20 (IMHO).
- the Minilogue does respond to velocity, while the MS-20 doesn't (I don't remember if it still outputs the velocity from the keyboard over usb midi, I don't think so... anyway, I would rather play on the Minilogue).

Anyway, I doubt that I would layer/chain the MS-20 with something else, because it may require a slightly different playing technique (I play staccato, to force the envelopes to retrigger properly), I'd probably play the same part with both hands, one on the MS-20 and the other playing the other(s) synth(s), so I may play a less pronounced staccato or even legato.

Just my opinion, of course!
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

Just be aware of the noise “problem” of the ms20. Lots of topics about this issue. I’ve owned one, hated this

I realize that this is quite an old thread, but for clarity, the noise issue is only related to the MS-20 Mini. It has the old filter, which has a rather prominent background noise.

The full scale MS-20 reissue and the MS-20M have both filters included. The filter type is switchable with a jumper on the main board. You can override this setting with a key press combination while switching the synth on, however it will revert back to whatever is set with the jumper when the synth is switched off.

The new filter has no background noise or thumping sound whatsoever. It sounds clean as a whistle. That was actually one of the reasons I sold my Mini and bought the Kit version instead. Also the full size keys, jacks and knobs is a whole different experience. I ended up selling both the Minilogue and the Monologue as a result of this.

IMHO, the MS-20 is a vastly superior synth in almost every respect - except for polyphony, MIDI control and patch storage. It is quite possible to make a full song using nothing but the MS-20 - including deep basses, smooth pads, drums, cymbals and percussion. It takes some time to learn how to use the MS-20 properly if you don't only want those searing, overdriven sounds, but it is definitely worth it.

The Minilogue will on the other hand always sound like the Minilogue. I am not saying that it is bad, but it is just a bit metallic and bland for my taste. Why Korg no longer manufactures the MS-20 FS is beyond me.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”