Gone are the days of looking for the perfect Analog Soft Synth

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OnePingOnly

10 modules plus AJH MiniMod (the whole Analog Path line, 2 VCOs,
1 VCF, the VCA, Contour, Glide/Noise and else) coming today
including Yarns, Maths, DPO and few others.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by BasariStudios on Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

Just curious, how much did this set you back money wise?

Congratulations. :party:

Did you send the Sub 37 back?

Congratulations, you got your self some top notch doorsteps there

Congrats dude! Have fun! Remember to always tripple check the red stripe orientation for every module. Don't let any of that magic smoke get out. :)
wagtunes wrote:Just curious, how much did this set you back money wise?
We in the modular community don't express the value of our synths in dollars (too depressing). :hihi:
I prefer to express the value of my synth in the amount of weed which could have been purchcased using the same funds. :cry:

justin3am wrote:Congrats dude! Have fun! Remember to always tripple check the red stripe orientation for every module. Don't let any of that magic smoke get out. :)
wagtunes wrote:Just curious, how much did this set you back money wise?
We in the modular community don't express the value of our synths in dollars (too depressing). :hihi:
I prefer to express the value of my synth in the amount of weed which could have been purchcased using the same funds. :cry:
That much huh?

wagtunes wrote:
That much huh?
Yeah, I won't lie since 2008, I've spent quite a bit on my modular habit (I don't want to give a solid figure, lest it come across as bragging). Lets just say that it's several times the KBB value of my car. :oops:
I've saved a lot by building my own cases and power distribution though. :party:

justin3am wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
That much huh?
Yeah, I won't lie since 2008, I've spent quite a bit on my modular habit (I don't want to give a solid figure, lest it come across as bragging). Lets just say that it's several times the KBB value of my car. :oops:
I've saved a lot by building my own cases and power distribution though. :party:
Okay, let me ask you this, without stating any prices you've actually paid.

If I ever wanted to get a hardware modular system, just as a starter with say the following modules...

3 OSCs
2 Filters
3 LFOs
1 VCA
2 ADSRs
1 Mixer
1 Delay
1 Sequencer

Would $3,000 basically cover that or not even close?

Thank you guys, its uhh...way different then anything else. Control, yes i returned the Sub37
but i am keeping the Virus TI 2. As Justin said can not express it with money, originally if
anyone remembers i said 2-3 grand...i am in over 5 grand now -Virus TI 2 and i am not even
at the beginning, i need a lot more modules. Wagz 3000$ would get you something somewhere
to begin with but nowhere near a full synth...that is minus the Sequencer, those are usually
over 600$...the case it self will be close to a 1000$. Roughly a good synth aboiut 12000$?
Wagz, i meant 3000 just to start something, what you mentioned above well over 5-6 grand i think.
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

wagtunes wrote:
justin3am wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
That much huh?

If I ever wanted to get a hardware modular system, just as a starter with say the following modules...

3 OSCs
2 Filters
3 LFOs
1 VCA
2 ADSRs
1 Mixer
1 Delay
1 Sequencer

It really depends... some single modules are >$500 but most are between $150-$250. Your case will be some where between $500 and $1000.

I started with a Doepfer basic system 2, which is roughly similar to an Arp 2600 in functionality. But it doesn't contain all of the modules you mentioned.

$3000 will get started with a very decent system, but as I told the OP in a different thread, I wouldn't try to build a complete synth all at once. If I had to do it over again, I would get a 9u or 12u case with just the basics necessary for a synth voice and then start figuring out what I wanted to do but couldn't with that small setup.

When I started with the Dopefer system (which is great quality by the way), I did feel a bit limited but since it was a complete system, I need to start a whole new case just to expand. There are a lot more options in terms of case and module now, so you want to leave room for the stuff that you may want in the future.

Again, as I suggested to the OP, you may have an idea of what you want from your modular, but that may not work out once you have the system in front of you. Best not to plop down all that cash at once but to make decisions as you go along.

justin3am wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
justin3am wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
That much huh?

3 OSCs
2 Filters
3 LFOs
1 VCA
2 ADSRs
1 Mixer
1 Delay
1 Sequencer

It really depends... some single modules are >$500 but most are between $150-$250. Your case will be some where between $500 and $1000.

I started with a Doepfer basic system 2, which is roughly similar to an Arp 2600 in functionality. But it doesn't contain all of the modules you mentioned.

$3000 will get started with a very decent system, but as I told the OP in a different thread, I wouldn't try to build a complete synth all at once. If I had to do it over again, I would get a 9u or 12u case with just the basics necessary for a synth voice and then start figuring out what I wanted to do but couldn't with that small setup.

When I started with the Dopefer system (which is great quality by the way), I did feel a bit limited but since it was a complete system, I need to start a whole new case just to expand. There are a lot more options in terms of case and module now, so you want to leave room for the stuff that you may want in the future.

Again, as I suggested to the OP, you may have an idea of what you want from your modular, but that may not work out once you have the system in front of you. Best not to plop down all that cash at once but to make decisions as you go along.
Thanks. If the day ever comes when I can afford a system, it will be the only pieces of hardware I will ever own again. It's my last non virtual dream.

thought this thread was going to be all about Monark, DIVA and TAL.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote:thought this thread was going to be all about Monark, DIVA and TAL.
The OP having spent x amounts of $1000 on his rig, at least he must be allowed to show off about it :P

wagtunes wrote:Thanks. If the day ever comes when I can afford a system, it will be the only pieces of hardware I will ever own again. It's my last non virtual dream.
Using a modular is very different compared to using other types of hardware synths. I've gotten to the point where I want to do everything with my modular, so it's the primary part of my setup. It hasn't taken me away from software much at all, I still use a lot of VST plug-ins and I use Silent Way to control everything. It's not the same kind of integration as, for example, a Virus TI or Overbridge, but a computer and a modular is a very powerful combination. Just be prepared to record anything that sounds cool, to audio, as soon as it happens. It may not happen twice. :)
Last edited by justin3am on Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

double post

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”