Gone are the days of looking for the perfect Analog Soft Synth

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OnePingOnly

Modular synths are all about the journey and not so much the destination. Playing with patch chords is almost a religious experience. Been a very long time since I've even been near a modular synth (the local music store) and I admit that is the one thing I wouldn't mind cluttering up a room with. The rest of the hardware world, I can take or leave.

for a dedicated noise softsynth XILS4 is technically a modular.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

justin3am wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
BasariStudios wrote:
electro wrote:thought this thread was going to be all about Monark, DIVA and TAL.
It actually is...a Modular includes all of those and many more :D :lol:
nice fantasy :hihi:
Yeah, there are a lot of things people take for granted when comparing a modular synth to a "basic" monosynth (quotes used to indicate irony, in case that's not obvious).
For example, using a mod wheel to control the depth of an LFO's modulation. In a monosynth this handled behind the panel, but in a modular, you need to use the mod wheel to control a VCA which then allows modulation signal to pass through to other modules. If you want a different amount of depth for each modulation destination (or a different modulation source), you may need additional VCAs (or at least attenuators). Some modules have CV inputs with no attenuation, so you need an external module to control the modulation amount or you will just get full scale modulation all the time. Other modules have controls which act as an offset when there is no CV connected but then act as an attenuator when a cable is connected. As a result, you don't have an inline offset, so all modulation starts from the lowest setting of that parameter.

Then there are analog sequencers! Many don't realize that analog sequencers usually need a quantizer and a sample and hold (some quantizers have a trigger input, so only one module is needed) in order to work the way you might expect. Otherwise you'll find that the CV value changes even if you don't have a gate active for a given step.

I think if you give up on the notion of a standard monosynth architecture, it's a lot easier to have fun with a modular. :lol:
not to mention polyphony and presets...

It's a big hassle, but analog modular sounds so good!

btw, listening you some of your music on soundcloud... I like Phistin honda... others too, but that one is up my alley

pdxindy wrote:not to mention polyphony and presets...

It's a big hassle, but analog modular sounds so good!

btw, listening you some of your music on soundcloud... I like Phistin honda... others too, but that one is up my alley
It's interesting that I start thinking about polyphony differently when I use any kind of modular, hardware or software. I tend to think about the synth like a human voice, so I use overdubbing in order to stack voices on top of each other. But I agree with you, if I want to play the instrument polyphonically, or if I want patch recall, I've got other instruments for that.

If I've made it seem like a hassle, that's not really my intent. I'd say it can be a challenge but a totally satisfying one. When I started, I considered my self a capable synthesist, but when I first started playing with a modular, it seemed somewhat alien and different from my experience. When I got something that sounded cool, it was a surprise. As I learn about the concepts, there are still moments of unexpected magic when I do something unintentionally or when the quirk of a module causes it to behave in a way that I didn't expect. I don't know... I don't have to tell you, I know you understand. :hihi:

Thanks for the listens.

I also started out with a Doepfer Basic System 2 and a few additional modules, back in 1996. My system has, um, somewhat expanded since then. I agree that you should start with just a few modules and figure out what you want as you go. Buying used modules can help a lot with the cost. Just a new module every few months will add up relatively quickly, and you'll gain a finer appreciation for the capabilities of each new module as you go along.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

justin3am wrote:
If I've made it seem like a hassle, that's not really my intent. I'd say it can be a challenge but a totally satisfying one. When I started, I considered my self a capable synthesist, but when I first started playing with a modular, it seemed somewhat alien and different from my experience. When I got something that sounded cool, it was a surprise. As I learn about the concepts, there are still moments of unexpected magic when I do something unintentionally or when the quirk of a module causes it to behave in a way that I didn't expect. I don't know... I don't have to tell you, I know you understand. :hihi:

Thanks for the listens.
Oh, you didn't make it seem like a hassle... I'm just too spoiled by presets :-)

Justin and Deastman, i am in a search for an LFO, on Muff too...i need an LFO
possibly Quad or Dual that can Clock, Sync and Reset, some even have Decay
or Fade In...something like Peaks (i don't know if it can do all but it can be an ADSR too)
and i also like XAOC Batumi...that one seems to do wonders...i have Maths but can not Clock.

Thanks
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

And OFF we take...!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BasariStudios wrote:And OFF we take...!
Great! How about an Optomix or an LxD to pair with these?

(I'm a Make Noise addict myself, with a huge tendency to add some Mutable into the mix)

Thanks URS, Optomix i am going to pick up local now, LxD is already ordered...
on MuffWigler i asked a question : ,,when are Bazilles OSCs coming to Eurorack???''

BasariStudios wrote:Justin and Deastman, i am in a search for an LFO, on Muff too...i need an LFO
or Fade In...something like Peaks (i don't know if it can do all but it can be an ADSR too)
and i also like XAOC Batumi...that one seems to do wonders...i have Maths but can not Clock.

Thanks
Sorry, I stopped trying to keep up with the millions of new modules a few years ago, so I have no idea. If you want a clock in, you're looking at a digital lfo, obviously. Click input is mostly the domain of sequencers. Personally, I'd mainly be concerned with a reset and a frequency cv input. Then again, I often reach for a Doepfer quad lfo, which has neither of those, just because it's convenient to have four lfos in one place. But of course I do have lots of others to choose from as well.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

I went with Vermona Fourmulator for dedicated LFOs. Disadvantages are no lag for s&h and no envelope-style one shot modes. But the ability to sync all 4 at different clock divisions and with phase offsets among each other won this one over for me.

I also have MI Peaks, but I use it mainly for ADSR (2 times same settings with independent trigger) and occasional base/snare. It can do much more, but it takes time to get used to it and in some modes you'll have to switch the four knobs for both layers. It doesn't have a s&h mode for external signals though.

But then... one can never have enough Maths... *sigh*

BasariStudios wrote: on MuffWigler i asked a question : ,,when are Bazilles OSCs coming to Eurorack???''
Hehehe, I hadn't seen that... unfortunately I don't think a digital module would be suited for an FM operator. It would need to allow for recursive patching, but then the latency of DAC would destroy the option. And of course, I don't see much of a chance to do Bazille's oscillators in analogue. Some things are better off in the box :wink:

BasariStudios wrote: i am in a search for an LFO, on Muff too...i need an LFO

Thanks

Personally I stopped buying dedicated LFO modules. Why not just get more Oscillators?
They can usually do mostly everything Lfo modules can, but can also do audio rate. in my experience you can never have enough oscs.

Peaks IS very cool looking though. I stopped buying modules and started making all my own as it was burning a hole in my bankaccount, but MI is one company that is slowly convincing me to buy some stuff again.
Hypnagog (Experimental Electronica) |
Terrafractyl (Psytrance) |Kinematic Records (Label)

I'm an absolute newbie here not as far as modular synths in general but definitely as far actual ownership goes. I do have a Nord Modular for several years and I know that it isn't the same thing, but at least it's a good learning tool. As I've mentioned before elsewhere my earliest experience with modulars is with a Moog system and an ARP 2500/2600 at school. I also had the opportunity to mess about with the modulars at the Analog Cave once. As far as true analog (e.g. real analog) I now own several Moog Mother 32s, so I feel as if I have a very good if not basic beginning. :)

I think the Mother 32 is a good beginner setup that offers a good taste of what the modular world has to offer for not a lot of financial outlay (for one unit). It also lets you get your feet wet while giving your a decent (imo) basic foundation to build on. Initially I was also considering the Pittsburgh Modular Foundation system.

I live out in the middle of nowhere as far as these things go, but at least we (apparently) now have one place in town that carries some modules. Been trying to stay away from there for now. :wink:

Really looking forward to attending Knobcon in September, which I think will give me a pretty good hands on idea of what's out there. My plan is to build things up slowly and branch out over time. The beginning of the end as far as the "rabbit hole" goes, lol. In the meantime, I'm jealous of you guys who have been in this world for several years.

Congratulations on your new Doepfer system!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”