Roland: Biggest Product Launch Ever: 30+ Products #909day

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Moosy_Moose wrote:Someone over at Gearslutz posted this video.
I thought some of you folks would get a good chuckle out of this :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qqKZbE96AI

That was hilarious.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote:

That was hilarious.
rsp

:lol: :lol:
Haha, thanks for sharing

KBSoundSmith wrote:
zvenx wrote:

That was hilarious.
rsp

:lol: :lol:
Haha, thanks for sharing
Lol. I laughed my ass off. :lol:

This made me simultaneously laugh my ass off and feel completely pathetic that I couldnt share it or even quickly explain this to anyone I work with. :scared: :?

Stupid American Pig wrote:
This made me simultaneously laugh my ass off and feel completely pathetic that I couldnt share it or even quickly explain this to anyone I work with. :scared: :?
Same... shame, as it is SOOO brilliant. 8)
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

irs funny because it's true.....
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Thanks for the explanations. Why limit the stored synth engines, though? If it's just storage and they have to be activated, like on the V-Synth, the only real limitation is in the size of the storage device with the code in it. Aren't we kind of beyond this being constrained these days?
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote:Thanks for the explanations. Why limit the stored synth engines, though? If it's just storage and they have to be activated, like on the V-Synth, the only real limitation is in the size of the storage device with the code in it. Aren't we kind of beyond this being constrained these days?
Well, my guess would be that Roland would prefer the hardware space for computational power, rather than memory -- that's entirely speculation, btw.

I don't that it will be much of an issue in practice. Plug-outs can be loaded via SD card (a nice feature, possibly getting around future OS compatibility issues), so my thinking is that the SD card might simply be left in the slot by the user and the needed plug-outs models loaded when needed. How long it takes to load? Don't know. I don't own any AIRA products, and this one apparently has more processing power than previous models.

rod_zero wrote:
Finally consider the amount of controls this thing has, 76, the nord and Virus have around 30. This makes it a perfect controller for many softsynths.
except it has no aftertouch... besides that though, it does look interesting as a controller

KBSoundSmith wrote:
This is an evolutionary step of digital, and as far as it relates to implementation in electronic instruments, it's in its infancy.
yeah, 64 presets is a real advance :hihi:

SLiC wrote:irs funny because it's true.....
exactly...

pdxindy wrote:
KBSoundSmith wrote:
This is an evolutionary step of digital, and as far as it relates to implementation in electronic instruments, it's in its infancy.
haha, well that does seem a bit limited, but it also seems to me that they were designing the synth to avoid menu diving and to have everything available as 1:1 as possible. Personally, wouldn't be an issue for me, although I can imagine some people getting fussy over it

KBSoundSmith wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
KBSoundSmith wrote:
haha, well that does seem a bit limited, but it also seems to me that they were designing the synth to avoid menu diving and to have everything available as 1:1 as possible. Personally, wouldn't be an issue for me, although I can imagine some people getting fussy over it
except if you want more presets, then you have to load preset banks which is less easy than just having a way to store more onboard. Was there any mention of an app for organizing presets into banks?

I think Roland does that sort of thing to build in limitations so people will buy future products. They could make a more open-ended hardware device. They could give people an option to add more voices, or more presets etc. But then it would be too good and they could not then sell everyone a System 12 or System 16 in a few years.

pdxindy wrote:
KBSoundSmith wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
KBSoundSmith wrote:
except if you want more presets, then you have to load preset banks which is less easy than just having a way to store more onboard. Was there any mention of an app for organizing presets into banks?

I think Roland does that sort of thing to build in limitations so people will buy future products. They could make a more open-ended hardware device. They could give people an option to add more voices, or more presets etc. But then it would be too good and they could not then sell everyone a System 12 or System 16 in a few years.
I haven't heard much on presets yet. On GS, someone mentioned that it is 64 patches per plug-out slot, so including the System-8 default synth, that's 256 onboard patches.

Data is transferred via SD card, so I imagine loading/off-loading patches shouldn't be much of an issue. If you just keep an SD card in the machine, I see no reason why patch storage would be an issue, come to think of it -- unless the saving is implemented in a bone-headed way. Who knows.

As for the limitations, I think people aren't fully appreciating what Roland is doing on the tech side of things. While there is certainly an element of "what can we sell" going on (as is reasonably expected in any business), each product they are releasing with ACB is essentially a form of prototyping and R&D for future products. Killing two birds with one stone, so to speak. They make a profit for further research, and they get feedback to guide that research.

While the current offerings with ACB seem perhaps limited compared to other synths on the market by some perspectives, I think that's only a temporary situation. Once their R&D is more complete and they have more successful prototypes, they will be able to provide synths that go far beyond the capabilities of other synths on the market -- and with few or none of their disadvantages, analog or digital. I think the price/feature/value ratio will be crushing to other developers.

Could be wrong of course. But I think there is significant promise in what they are doing, and with an eye to the future, I think they are working toward a dominating long-term advantage.

Unless they pull a Roland 8) :hihi:

KBSoundSmith wrote:
I haven't heard much on presets yet. On GS, someone mentioned that it is 64 patches per plug-out slot, so including the System-8 default synth, that's 256 onboard patches.

Data is transferred via SD card, so I imagine loading/off-loading patches shouldn't be much of an issue. If you just keep an SD card in the machine, I see no reason why patch storage would be an issue, come to think of it -- unless the saving is implemented in a bone-headed way. Who knows.
Yeah, it depends on how it is implemented. Do you have to move banks? Or can you move individual presets? Since there isn't much of a screen, it seems it would be kinda clunky, but then there is usb and the possibility to organize presets on the computer and move stuff around that way which should work pretty well.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”