Montage or System 8 - Which one would you buy?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.

Montage or System 8 - Which one would you buy?

Poll ended at Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:07 pm

Montage
67%
System 8
33%

Total votes: 18

RELATED
PRODUCTS

That's a No Brainer : Surely will go for the Montage :tu:

Montage can be programmed to send midi cc to a softsynth with some wrangling at first.
Last edited by xtreme sounds on Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

Last edited by xtreme sounds on Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

melodyz wrote:Also if you want FM IOS just came out with a $10 DX7 clone. Thats a lot cheaper than Montage
And Synth1 is a COMPLETELY FREE subtractive synth plugin and is therefore cheaper than a System 8! :party:

I checked out the Montage today versus other Roland products and Yamahas sound and build quality is superior. Not to pick on anyone but some of the instruments I looked at have the feel of toys. I know that companies want to save money but really things need to feel more tangible than shiny plastic. If you see this stuff in person you will know what I am talking about. So in the future I will only purchase hardware that feels solid.

melodyz wrote:I checked out the Montage today versus other Roland products and Yamahas sound and build quality is superior. Not to pick on anyone but some of the instruments I looked at have the feel of toys. I know that companies want to save money but really things need to feel more tangible than shiny plastic. If you see this stuff in person you will know what I am talking about. So in the future I will only purchase hardware that feels solid.
I generally agree. On the other hand if one needs to carry gear to spot gigs then "the same weight as an empty plastic box" can start looking rather attractive, assuming it is a fairly reliable empty plastic box. :)

My perception of feel is influenced by the steadiness of the keyboard stand. I suspect a big reason that grand pianos and hammond B/C and suitcase rhodes feel so nice is that they are so rigid and heavy that there is minimal wobble. If one could put exactly that same feel and sound on a wobbly stand then it wouldn't feel nearly so good.

So even with a very light keyboard, IMO a very rigid stand is important.

The Yamaha montage is different in the way it handles programming etc. Sounds good

Lol.
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

Would ;)
I've bought Montage 8.
It means I would get them both but Montage first ;)

Welcome. Have a 6 myself. I will spend years getting into this beast.

I would be surprised if there's anything you can do on a System 8 you couldn't do on a Monty.
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”