My M-AUDIO KEYSTATION 49 CANNOT CHANGE INSTRUMENTS

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I actually have 2 questions, guys:

1. I cannot change my instruments settings. As the manual instructs, I press the ADVANCED button, then, after releasing it, press the black PGM CHANGE key (F#, after which the ADVANCED light goes out). Then I press any white key, and press the + or - buttons. According to the manual, the instrument selection should change, but nothing happens, and it remains at its default sound.

2. I'm concerned about playing chords, since even a 2 note chord is distorted. Is this a limitation of the keyboard, or a defect? Even when playing a sequence of individual notes, if I don't release the first note promptly, the sound distorts if there is an overlap.

All suggestions are graciously appreciated with thanks.

Stan

The keystation doesn't have a default sound as its a midi controller. You'll need to explain better what it is you are doing (or trying to do), with which DAW, hardware, software, VSTi, etc. When you say "change instrument" do you mean change preset, or change to a different VSTi, or something else altogether?

Sorry I'm not clear - by default sound I simply meant the electronic piano sound when you switch it on. I may want to change that to a cello or violin sound, and cannot do that with the PGM CHANGE function. As an analogy, when I want to raise the keyboard in octaves, I press ADVANCED, then the OCT function black key (low C#), and the + and - keys light up green, after which I can change the keyboard pitch up or down in octaves by pressing the + or - keys. I would have thought that the same happened in the PGM CHANGE function, but as I said, when I press PGM CHANGE, it simply goes out of edit mode and reverts to normal playing mode. Even if I select the + and - buttons together so that they light up, and THEN press PGM CHANGE, the + and - buttons simply go out.

(and I've still got the chord distortion problem - I can only play single notes clearly).
Stan

It is a MIDI controller. It does not make any sound, it does not even have audio output.

StanShear wrote:Sorry I'm not clear - by default sound I simply meant the electronic piano sound when you switch it on. I may want to change that to a cello or violin sound, and cannot do that with the PGM CHANGE function. As an analogy, when I want to raise the keyboard in octaves, I press ADVANCED, then the OCT function black key (low C#), and the + and - keys light up green, after which I can change the keyboard pitch up or down in octaves by pressing the + or - keys. I would have thought that the same happened in the PGM CHANGE function, but as I said, when I press PGM CHANGE, it simply goes out of edit mode and reverts to normal playing mode. Even if I select the + and - buttons together so that they light up, and THEN press PGM CHANGE, the + and - buttons simply go out.

(and I've still got the chord distortion problem - I can only play single notes clearly).
Stan
So...you cannot change the presets from a plugin on the Keystation? I don't have a Keystation but preset changing never worked for me no matter the controller :hihi: I just don't get it. I've managed to map pretty much everything else.
Stuff like The Akai Advance and NI Komplete Kontrol are controlling virtual instruments via a wrapper., and that's all I get about this issue. :(

Whether or not you can change presets with MIDI CC commands is a function of the instrument itself, not the controller. Some instruments respond to these commands, some do not. And to make matters worse, the ones that do respond don't all respond to the command in the same way.

I've experimented with this quite a bit because I like my MIDI tracks to have the CC preset command programmed into the track. This allows the track to inform the instrument which preset to use when it plays. Some instruments have a one-for-one relationship, where command 1 equals preset 1. Some of them consider command 0 to be preset 1. Some of them respond to the "bank" command, so you have to figure out which command equals "bank 1" or "folder 1" and then "preset 1". Some of them don't respond to bank at all and you just have to keep counting through the presets until you get to the one you want. And these inconsistencies happen in both hardware synths and vst's.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is... good luck. :hihi:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”