Behringer D Synth - Full Analog, Eurorack compatible, No Keys, 400$

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If you go hardware; get the best audio interface you can efford

machinesworking wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:Doesn't really sound "loads better" than Monark. It does sound better than Arturia, tho. :)
I'm probably alone in this but Monark never did a thing for me, I've found more use out of the Arturia one even... playing it again it's that it's too crisp and tinny on the high end, more like a modern DCO synth, but it's got a good growl. I can totally see using it in a song, but to me anyway it doesn't sound like a Moog. I would never ascribe crisp to a Moog. :shrug:

To be fair though this is a common theme with emulations to me, the extended range and whatever aliasing is left after oversampling etc. makes them much more "in your face" than hardware analog synths.
Well, it sounds damn near spot on to the early serial number Minimoog NI had on hand when modeling it... They did a very good comparison example, with very extreme settings (where Arturia's falls apart), and Monark held out really well. So yes, that's how some Minimoogs CAN sound.

But sure, if you want a more creamy Minimoog sound, then there's The Legend and Diva.

EvilDragon wrote:
machinesworking wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:Doesn't really sound "loads better" than Monark. It does sound better than Arturia, tho. :)
I'm probably alone in this but Monark never did a thing for me, I've found more use out of the Arturia one even... playing it again it's that it's too crisp and tinny on the high end, more like a modern DCO synth, but it's got a good growl. I can totally see using it in a song, but to me anyway it doesn't sound like a Moog. I would never ascribe crisp to a Moog. :shrug:

To be fair though this is a common theme with emulations to me, the extended range and whatever aliasing is left after oversampling etc. makes them much more "in your face" than hardware analog synths.
Well, it sounds damn near spot on to the early serial number Minimoog NI had on hand when modeling it... They did a very good comparison example, with very extreme settings (where Arturia's falls apart), and Monark held out really well. So yes, that's how some Minimoogs CAN sound.

But sure, if you want a more creamy Minimoog sound, then there's The Legend and Diva.
Yeah there's little low end in the Arturia model. It's good for dirty Moog sounds and that's about it. I don't recall the example NI gave, but to me there's a distinct difference in the high end of real analog VS soft synths, especially with filters at low cutoff and high resonance, it's not creamy per say it's more like it doesn't break up with a white noise sound like Arturia or a perfect squeal like NI, as much as with an out of tune oscillating sound. NI's Monark sounds good, but it's much more clinical sounding than a real Moog. Hence my comments about it. I have a Memorymoog here and it's not exactly the same for sure, but the difference in sound between it and the Moog emulations is pretty clear in some cases, not all, in fact a huge range of typical uses for a synth aren't going to show any difference, but even just going to a simple single oscillator with the filter wide open there's a distinct difference, and adding two, it's drastic. for the most part it seems to be that all soft synths have a hard time emulating subtle drift. Once you get into making a preset though I think you get really close.

Anyway it's a moot point, sorry I wasted your time arguing it, to me anyway the latest round of emulations makes me question owning the real deal, we're IMO very close to zero difference. and although computers are money drains in general in that they don't gain value, old hardware is fussy.

My Behringer D arrived yesterday and this thing looks, feels, and sounds wonderful! Very beefy. Can't wait to get the Neutron!

Thank you, I enjoyed watching that! I anticipate getting mine very soon. Btw, he is right about Repro. Having had the real deal at one point, I can honestly say that is a phenominal piece of software.

I probably won't be turning to software for Moog sounds much anymore now that the "Behrimoog" is here. The software convenience factor is being outweighed by having a knobby real analog unit sitting there that sounds the business with anything "Mini" you seek from it (including stuff like oscillator FM that has all the analog hardware tastiness).

If Behringer can sustain the level of recreation quality they achieved with the D with the other synths they're planning or already have in the works (like the UB-Xa), they're gong to shake things up a little, eh? Well, even more than the D is probably already doing.
http://www.davidvector.com
New album, Chasing Fire, out now on Amazon, iTunes, etc.
Bandcamp: https://davidvector.bandcamp.com/releases

Vectorman wrote:I probably won't be turning to software for Moog sounds much anymore now that the "Behrimoog" is here. The software convenience factor is being outweighed by having a knobby real analog unit sitting there that sounds the business with anything "Mini" you seek from it (including stuff like oscillator FM that has all the analog hardware tastiness).
I can understand that. :) Although i really like Monark, and hear a lot of resemblance, whenever i watch a Model D, or Behringer D video. I might get me a Behringer D as well, when i have some money spare, and, maybe the price drops to about 300 € at some point, although it is pretty inexpensive right now as well, of course.

I imagine with all of those D Synths out that are going to be out there, sooner or later we are going to begin seeing second-hand ones as well. It stands to reason that not everyone who acquires one is going to keep it. Time will tell.
Available on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

Some techno music from this awesome synth...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN9ZMqSYjYE

:hyper:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”