Behringer Deepmind 12 desktop and Deepmind 6 (!)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Daags wrote:I've never been tempted to buy a synth that sounded 'meh' ... halving the voice count wouldn't make it any more tempting either.
The thing is, though, that a lot of the time you just need a sound to do a job, like fill out an arrangement, and a synth like this, or MicroMonsta could be perfect for that kind of work.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

G A R B A G E

BONES wrote:
lfm wrote:This Korg MiniLogue is smaller keys as I understand.
Minilogue keys may be smaller but they are really high quality and the extra length makes them a lot more playable...I really like using them.
+1

It's dropped to $599 US for the 12 voice desktop model. That is certainly tempting...

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ynthesizer
Feel free to call me Brian.

Russell Grand wrote:G A R B A G E
Can you supply a few links to some of your music, please? I'd be very keen to hear a song where every sound was something unbelievably special. For every song I have ever written or produced, there are one or two sounds that define the piece and the rest are completely interchangeable. e.g. I have at least a dozen synths capable of doing good synth strings. One of them will usually do a better job in a particular situation but as often as not it's the lowliest of the bunch that works best.

If you think a synth sounds bad, it is almost certainly because you don't know what you're doing or you are trying to use it to do something it's not necessarily good at. I'll guarantee you I could get enough good sounds from a Deepmind 6 to do any song justice. If you think you need to fork out for the best around, that's down to your insecurity or inability.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Had a play on one recently in the store, soundwise I really liked it but hated the sliders.

I've never so much as seen one but I find it hard to believe it doesn't sound good enough to get a lot of use in most people's set-ups.

Yeah. I would find that hard too Bones, not at least because I own one, so....

...to each his own...skills. I have the Deepmind 6 and first, I think it is pretty; lovely retro-future combi design. It has nice wood panels and it is authentically heavy due to all its discrete components + a cooling fan. It sound amazing to the extent that you can program it to your liking. Its mod matrix and potential effects combis do more than justify its "Deep" name. Of course, lot of complaints have been about its second osc, which can only do squares but people tend to forget the different ways you can modulate and change the timbre of the latter. You just have to dive into its many possibilities. Want your 2 osc synth to sound like a 3 osc moog? No problem just use the unison octave spread trick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVBMLLOXw-U

Or how about turning it into an drum machine doing industrial noise punches?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cela5PsXYXA

For all I know it is one of those synths that a good deal of non-owners have negative opinions about due to some failed youtubes. And yes, at a superficial level, many of those onboard patches are drowned in effects as if it were the latter that was to be demonstrated. But if you are in for some old school DCOish analog sound that you want to modulate beyond the options of the 80s, it is nothing less than a dream to work with from scratch.

That is just my opinion, of course. However, I would indeed recommend any interested to spend half an hour with it in a store before deciding instead of relying on tubes and internet gossip. You are at risk of missing a true gem to your collection. Start by going to the effect section and turn everything off. I doubt you would really need them on most of your patches in terms of musical functions. You can modulate width instead of flanging and achieve reverb like effects with those fine envelopes alone. You can fatten your sound in various ways without chorus etc.

It's a LOT smaller than I thought it was. Very portable. I might have to track one down and have a play with it.

BONES wrote:It's a LOT smaller than I thought it was. Very portable. I might have to track one down and have a play with it.
Deepmind 12= 4 octaves
Deepmind 6 = 3 octaves (and a cutie for this reason, imo)

Though, know that it is up to 4 times as heavy as your standard plast synth; 6,9 kg in constrast to e.g. my 2,2 kg JD-Xi, so some retro-weight to carry around. But once you turn those effects off and get to know the DCOs, you may likely think it is worth it.

Having just bought a Micromonsta, it would have to be exceptionally good for me to be tempted, but you never know...

Don’t hold your breath then, micromonsta’s own mod matrix is pretty deep, isn’t it? Do not think DM6 can do anything that micromonsta cannot function wise, I’d rather suspect micromonsta to do much more. And as said DM6 is not a good gig synth, it heavy and sensitive. But it is wonderful to program and sounds very old school DCOish but with many more mod options.

The thing is, I don't care about doing "much more", I just want it to do the few things I might need really well. I haven't even looked at the Micromonsta's mod matrix, I'm happy with the oscillator algorithms and the filters and that's all that really matters to me.

I can’t say much more beyond IncarnateX’s excellent summary. I have a DM12 keyboard and it really is a joy to play. Are the oscillators somewhat limited? Sure. The Juno series was somewhat limited, but a lot of people produced great music with them. This is very Juno-inspired, so if you approach it with that understanding, you’ll be pleasantly surprised at the many ways in which it goes much further. The mod matrix, the envelope curves, the arpeggiator, the parameter sequencer, the tone mod, the effects, the voice stacking and spreading, and just everything about it ultimately adds up to a truly excellent instrument. Also, the keyboard is surprisingly good to play on, way better than the Minilogue which was mentioned earlier. I’ll also close by adding that everyone has different tastes, and if you are curious about this synth, there really is no substitute for spending a little hands on time with one.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

For me the strength of some of the modern analog synths like the DeepMind, Uno, Subphatty etc. is the deep midi support and included or third party editors (still waiting on the UNO). From a sound design point of view and with some automation of the parameters recorded into the DAW you can really push and pull these synths into interesting territory especially if exposed in a mix.

I don't have the Deepmind but in Canada they just put the Deepmind 12D on sale too. I love the fact it has no keys and is small. 12 voices is overkill - 6 would be fine for me but for the price ... I am really tempted.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”