Elektron Analog Heat vs. software

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

SLiC wrote:I have an A4 and a RYTM, didn't go for the HEAT as I have plenty of outboard distortion (as a guitarist) and to be honest I think something like isotope Trash is probably a better bet if you are in the box.

I can however highly recommend either the A4 or the RYTM though. worth every penny and great effects that can also be accessed via overbridge (which works on the A4 and RYTM)
I have Trash 1. I never moved to v2. Maybe I should check it out.

Maybe this thread should be called "best software for hardware warming/filter/distortion."
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I use both Trash 2 and the Elektron Heat.
Both sound fantastic and have their own character !
The disadvantage of Trash 2 is that it is very CPU hungry.
The disadvantage of the Elektron Heat is that the Overbridge implementation is ridiculously buggy.
In fact for me Overbridge is not usable with the Heat, while it works perfectly with my other Elektron machines.
My solution is to use Trash 2 on DAW instruments or audio and the Elektron Heat for outboard equipment, while sending midi information to the Heat from my DAW to change the parameters.
Works a treat.

PatrickW wrote:I use both Trash 2 and the Elektron Heat.
The disadvantage of the Elektron Heat is that the Overbridge implementation is ridiculously buggy.
In fact for me Overbridge is not usable with the Heat, while it works perfectly with my other Elektron machines.
My solution is to use Trash 2 on DAW instruments or audio and the Elektron Heat for outboard equipment, while sending midi information to the Heat from my DAW to change the parameters.
Works a treat.
What host are you using Overbridge with?

PatrickW wrote: The disadvantage of the Elektron Heat is that the Overbridge implementation is ridiculously buggy.
What's the problem?

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

PatrickW wrote:I use both Trash 2 and the Elektron Heat.
Works a treat.
Thanks for that. You basically described exactly how I'd probably use Heat. Making the round trip would not work for me, as I like as low a latency as possible.

However, I would hope that I could use Heat with Overbridge for input and control. I've seen demos of it being used that way with Live, which is my DAW. Worked like a charm when I had the A4.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

It's a POS.

DrGonzo wrote:
PatrickW wrote: The disadvantage of the Elektron Heat is that the Overbridge implementation is ridiculously buggy.
What's the problem?

/C

I use Ableton Live, latest version.
The Analog Heat : latest firmware

The Problems :
- The Heat crashes now and then when Overbridge is enabled.
- Overbridge itself does the weirdest things when I connect the Heat with it. Completely unusable.
I found those on the internet as a known problems. I seem to be one of many with these problems.
Whatever I tried, I never managed to get something useful out of the combination Overbridge and the Analog Heat.
No problems when I use Overbridge with my Analog 4, Analog Keys and Analog Rytm.
I suppose that there is still a lot of work to get the Analog Heat bugfree in combination with Overbridge.

I think it depends on your goals, specially what are you trying to achieve aesthetically. To me the AH seems that is something required only if you intend to release your music in a competitive market. Nevertheless for many "pros" the current crop of saturation plugins seems to be enough.
dedication to flying

I think ;like a lot of electron boxes it is primarily aimed at people who like to work live and away from computers (in which case its perfect). Overbridge/Computer immigration is a relatively recent addition for electron...I would consider it a bonus (it was free) if you like hardware rather than the reason to go the elektron route (I have both the A4 and RYTM but don't use Overbridge much...maybe for making patches/editing...but for recording I prefer to go out of the hardware in to my desk)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

So Overbridge is still terrible then ?
Gotta love the way developers pretend things are all working great, somebody told me last week in a mobile forum that Overbridge works perfectly with every host, and when pushed on the subject, his proof was that Elektron said so hahaha
Duh

bungle wrote:So Overbridge is still terrible then ?
Gotta love the way developers pretend things are all working great, somebody told me last week in a mobile forum that Overbridge works perfectly with every host, and when pushed on the subject, his proof was that Elektron said so hahaha
Well, as said, the combination Overbridge - Analog 4/Rytm works pretty good for me.
But Overbridge combined with the Analog Heat is failing big time on my system.
That combination will probably also work somewhere in the future, when they worked out all the bugs in the Analog Heat.

PatrickW wrote:
bungle wrote:So Overbridge is still terrible then ?
Well, as said, the combination Overbridge - Analog 4/Rytm works pretty good for me.
But Overbridge combined with the Analog Heat is failing big time on my system.
That combination will probably also work somewhere in the future, when they worked out all the bugs in the Analog Heat.
Well, maybe the issue is the bandwidth possible on your USB buss. Doing all that audio transfer and MIDI data at the same time might be a bottleneck.
Zerocrossing Media

So, I've come to the unscientific conclusion that great analog style distortion is still mainly the realm of hardware. I tried all the plugins, except the new Kombinant, and compared to the built in analog distortion in my various synths, I could never get as "rich" a sound as I could in the hardware. Now it's just a question of what to get. The Heat is expensive for my needs. I'm thinking maybe the Boss SE 50, which has an analog distortion and some fun digital effects. I can't find a lot of demos of its distortion on synths though. I had a VF-1 that I thought worked nice on my Prophet 08. (Not analog distortion, but Roland's CSOM)
Zerocrossing Media

I like the distortion from Cytomics The Drop and Kushs Omega 458a in terms of 'analogness'
Amazon: why not use an alternative

zerocrossing wrote:So, I've come to the unscientific conclusion that great analog style distortion is still mainly the realm of hardware.
Analog distortion just has something

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”