Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
ghettosynth
KVRAF

10799 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Postby ghettosynth; Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:12 am Re: The 10 Greatest Synths Of All Time

starflakeprj wrote:What? No Alesis Andromeda A6? The article is broken!

While that article has some stench of bullshit, the A6 was not significant in the way that, e.g., the DX7 and the M1 were. As much as I would prefer the A6 on any day of the week over the Virus, I have to agree with previous posters that the the Virus is more deserving of a spot on that list.

I also don't think that that the OBXA belongs on that list either FWIW, nor really, the JD800, and I've been a fan of the JD since the 90s. The Fairlight absolutely belongs on that list. It was ALL over pop records in the 80s and used by everyone who was anyone.

It's just more musicradar clickbait.
nordickvr
KVRian

806 posts since 29 Sep, 2013

Postby nordickvr; Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:40 pm Re: The 10 Greatest Synths Of All Time

Rappo Clappo wrote:Things I hate:

1. lists
a. people who write lists
b. people who pay attention to lists
c. people who publicize lists
d. people who allow a third party to post lists at their site.
e. people who even dare to mention thread lists.

You forgot people who bump lists thread.

S***, I just did.
Rappo Clappo
KVRist

418 posts since 19 Sep, 2016, from Wonderland

Postby Rappo Clappo; Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:53 pm Re: The 10 Greatest Synths Of All Time

@nordickvr

Personally I like the supreme cherry list bumpers the most. :hihi:
I never make mistakes; I just blame others.
digitalboytn
KVRian

1041 posts since 7 Dec, 2008, from Global Cowboy

Postby digitalboytn; Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:31 pm Re: The 10 Greatest Synths Of All Time

Michael L wrote:MusicRadar is full of Chipspeech....

:lol:
Sorry - I don't use auto-tune....
JCJR
KVRAF

2248 posts since 17 Apr, 2005, from S.E. TN

Postby JCJR; Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:26 pm Re: The 10 Greatest Synths Of All Time

SJ_Digriz wrote:
JCJR wrote:Minimoog? Odessey? CS80? Yeah they were OK. Would gather dust at my house nowadays. Mellotron? Solina? Who would really want and routinely use one of those nowadays?

LOL ... well I would! If you have some you need me to store, let me know.

Well, mellotron was just a cheezy rube goldberg invention. Very tinny sound needing drastic EQ. Noisy, finicky, and the weirdest-feeling awkward keyboard action I recall ever playing-- A creepy feel like snakes crawling under the keys. Feel the tape sliding under each depressed key. Then that distracting "snick" sound of the springs retracting the tapes every time you release a key. The "snick" didn't get recorded but was quite audible and "feelable" when playing the instrument. Also some of the notes were rather out-of-tune.

Solina never sounded like strings to me. Sounded like a broken transistor organ thru a repetitive churning analog chorus. The repetitive chorus pattern sounded kinda like somebody trying to turn over a dead V8 engine. OTOH it didn't sound quite as bad as the ultra-cheap stringers such as Elka. I had a "hot-rodded" Freeman String Symphonizer from early 1970's to mid-1980's, which didn't sound like strings either but at least didn't sound as obnoxious as a Solina. Even the stock Freemans didn't sound so great. The stock Freemans didn't quite have enough animation and could sound like no animation at all once you throw a little reverb on it.

Just playing my grumpy old man role. Thankless job but somebody has to do it! :)
SJ_Digriz
KVRAF

5301 posts since 4 Jul, 2001, from either Northern Idaho or Southern Canada, still trying to figure out which

Postby SJ_Digriz; Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:06 pm Re: The 10 Greatest Synths Of All Time

JCJR wrote:Well, mellotron was just a cheezy rube goldberg invention. Very tinny sound needing drastic EQ. Noisy, finicky, and the weirdest-feeling awkward keyboard action I recall ever playing-- A creepy feel like snakes crawling under the keys. Feel the tape sliding under each depressed key. Then that distracting "snick" sound of the springs retracting the tapes every time you release a key. The "snick" didn't get recorded but was quite audible and "feelable" when playing the instrument. Also some of the notes were rather out-of-tune.

Totally accurate, and wrong at the same time :D
Like a lot of keyboards, it's what got done outside the box that made it great. Although I do curse it for basically inventing sampling which led to rap and hip hop. Kind of like inventing nuclear energy to power the world, only to find it was really just for flattening cities.
Just playing my grumpy old man role. Thankless job but somebody has to do it! :)

Yep, right there with yah.
The trick is to realize there is no spoon. That's when you'll know you have been truly swindled.
Stupid American Pig
KVRAF

7037 posts since 25 Nov, 2002, from not sure

Postby Stupid American Pig; Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:47 am Re: The 10 Greatest Synths Of All Time

JCJR wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:
JCJR wrote:Minimoog? Odessey? CS80? Yeah they were OK. Would gather dust at my house nowadays. Mellotron? Solina? Who would really want and routinely use one of those nowadays?

LOL ... well I would! If you have some you need me to store, let me know.

Well, mellotron was just a cheezy rube goldberg invention. Very tinny sound needing drastic EQ. Noisy, finicky, and the weirdest-feeling awkward keyboard action I recall ever playing-- A creepy feel like snakes crawling under the keys. Feel the tape sliding under each depressed key. Then that distracting "snick" sound of the springs retracting the tapes every time you release a key. The "snick" didn't get recorded but was quite audible and "feelable" when playing the instrument. Also some of the notes were rather out-of-tune.

Solina never sounded like strings to me. Sounded like a broken transistor organ thru a repetitive churning analog chorus. The repetitive chorus pattern sounded kinda like somebody trying to turn over a dead V8 engine. OTOH it didn't sound quite as bad as the ultra-cheap stringers such as Elka. I had a "hot-rodded" Freeman String Symphonizer from early 1970's to mid-1980's, which didn't sound like strings either but at least didn't sound as obnoxious as a Solina. Even the stock Freemans didn't sound so great. The stock Freemans didn't quite have enough animation and could sound like no animation at all once you throw a little reverb on it.

The MTron is the best Mellotron. None of the nonsense all of the sound. Solina only sounded good on that Gorrilaz song Clint Eastwood. Otherwise totally agree.
JCJR
KVRAF

Postby JCJR; Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:56 am Re: The 10 Greatest Synths Of All Time

SJ_Digriz wrote:
JCJR wrote:Totally accurate, and wrong at the same time :D
Like a lot of keyboards, it's what got done outside the box that made it great. Although I do curse it for basically inventing sampling which led to rap and hip hop. Kind of like inventing nuclear energy to power the world, only to find it was really just for flattening cities.

Oh yeah, to make a mellotron or solina sound even remotely like strings in a record demanded seriously skilled studio voodoo. Considering the state of the art in mix consoles at the time, dunno even what would have been needed to for instance drop mellotron into a muscle shoals R&B song and fool people into assuming it is an orchestra. Many rock records, for instance it is rather unapologetically mellotron in such as moody blues early music but there were many "mainstream" hit records I just assumed were real strings back then. Listen years later to realize, "Damn, thats a mellotron. How'd they do that?"

Sometimes studio miracles got performed making solina fool ya into assuming it is real strings in records. IMO that would have been even more difficult. On many rock records they didn't even try to hide what it was, such as Gary Wright. Flaunting that cheezy midrange churning sound. But for instance there were some Chicago hit records in the mid-70's I just assumed were real strings, but later on read somewhere that it was solina. Maybe cunning EQ and drowning it in high quality genuine room reverb chamber was all that was needed, dunno.

Both also needed to be played either by an arranger with understanding of the role of strings in the song, or at least played by a keyboardist reading what an arranger wrote. After decades of samplers, nowadays many keyboardists "get it". But back then a pianist might try to play mellotron like a piano and an organist might try to play it like an organ, both doomed to failure in emulating strings, flutes or choir.

I never wanted a solina but in the 1970's would have taken a mellotron in a heartbeat given sufficient money and a stable studio to park it in. Back then could justify spending money on axes for gigging but seemed impractical to carry a mellotron to gigs.

As said in the original comment, it wouldn't be worth finding space in the house to install a mellotron nowadays. As best i recall any mellotron lust was gone by 1980 or earlier.
SJ_Digriz
KVRAF

5301 posts since 4 Jul, 2001, from either Northern Idaho or Southern Canada, still trying to figure out which

Postby SJ_Digriz; Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:02 am Re: The 10 Greatest Synths Of All Time

JCJR wrote:As said in the original comment, it wouldn't be worth finding space in the house to install a mellotron nowadays. As best i recall any mellotron lust was gone by 1980 or earlier.

I agree with pretty much everything you posted about the usage. Although, I think the stock sounds did fit certain songs very well assuming some level of FX.

However, I would for sure take a mellotron, especially one of the original models that looked like a big organ. Not so much for recording, although I would probably use it just out of nostalgia. In my dotage I actually like fiddling with old tech. I would have hours of fun just fiddling with the thing.
The trick is to realize there is no spoon. That's when you'll know you have been truly swindled.
JCJR
KVRAF

Postby JCJR; Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:23 am Re: The 10 Greatest Synths Of All Time

In the mid-1970's I seriously had the hots for an RMI Keyboard Computer but never got up the nerve to spend that much money. My lust for a KC was much hotter than ever experienced for a Minimoog. It still sounds rather charming on the old factory demo record, recorded realtime with minimal sweetening. Damn. 1974! Waveforms encoded on hollerith punch cards.

Lots wider sound palette than polymoog several years later with an even bigger price tag! Some demo songs are dated and in questionable taste, especially side 2, but good illustration of the sound palette. To this very day the RMI Keyboard Computer remains incredibly popular in the same alternate universe where the average dude lives in a geodesic dome house and commutes to work in a Buckminster Fuller Dymaxion car. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_VT4vXtu3U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN_MOfaPEHE

Another one I wanted so bad in pre-MIDI early 1980's was the 360 Systems ROM Sampler Keyboard. If not for the giant price tag, would have loved to replace the Freeman String Symphonizer with that 360 Systems in my live stack. Even harder to find sound demos. Apparently they only sold about 200 of em. This item was another hugely popular keyboard in the Dymaxion car universe.
https://encyclotronic.com/synthesizers/ ... 1279/#desc
https://soundcloud.com/brian-kehew/360-systems-keyboard
SJ_Digriz
KVRAF

Postby SJ_Digriz; Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:45 am Re: The 10 Greatest Synths Of All Time

lol, I saw a documentary that had some footage of the RMI on the intertubes a few months ago. I'm not sure folks understand how many awesome synths beyond the few they have heard of actually existed in the 70s. But, yeah the cost of some of them was so crazy there was no way for them to get into full production.
SJ_Digriz
KVRAF

Postby SJ_Digriz; Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:51 am Re: The 10 Greatest Synths Of All Time

JCJR wrote:Another one I wanted so bad in pre-MIDI early 1980's was the 360 Systems ROM Sampler Keyboard. If not for the giant price tag, would have loved to replace the Freeman String Symphonizer with that 360 Systems in my live stack. Even harder to find sound demos. Apparently they only sold about 200 of em. This item was another hugely popular keyboard in the Dymaxion car universe.

Actually these come up on ebay for a few hundred bucks for the MIDI enabled one from time to time.
PatchAdamz
KVRAF

4063 posts since 12 Nov, 2012

Postby PatchAdamz; Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:55 am Re: The 10 Greatest Synths Of All Time

No Memorymoog....
JCJR
KVRAF

Postby JCJR; Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:09 am Re: The 10 Greatest Synths Of All Time

PatchAdamz wrote:No Memorymoog....

Which might deserve mention in both "the ten greatest" and also "the ten least reliable" lists. :) Or maybe "the ten highest-maintenance" or whatever.
BBFG#
KVRAF

5311 posts since 28 Apr, 2013

Postby BBFG#; Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:27 am Re: The 10 Greatest Synths Of All Time

JCJR wrote:
PatchAdamz wrote:No Memorymoog....

Which might deserve mention in both "the ten greatest" and also "the ten least reliable" lists. :) Or maybe "the ten highest-maintenance" or whatever.

My Memorymoog was completely reliable and never needed maintenance during the 14 years I owned it.
I will say I worked in music stores during the 80's/90's and the most unreliable and most needed repairs for synths title more appropriately belonged to Sequential Circuits and Ensoniq.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Hardware (Instruments and Effects)