Behringer: *LOTS* of classic analogue clones in the works ....

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

JCJR wrote:I am not a lawyer nor pretend to know, and law varies according to geography. Unless there is something "very unique" and patented about a circuit, so far as I know the circuit can't be protected. At least in USA. And most circuits are not unique enough to qualify.

Now there is a patent subset called a design patent, which tends to be rather specific. You could probably get a design patent on a circuit, as you could get a design patent on a ketchup bottle or a certain air filter for a particular car model. But those at best would prevent a 100 percent clone of the design. Change a few parts in a circuit, possibly even making an improved version in the process, and its not the same circuit design any more. Change the shape of the air filter or ketchup bottle, its still an air filter or ketchup bottle, but not protected by the design patent.

You could copyright the paper or digital image of the engineer's drawing of the circuit. So all you have to do is draw the exact same circuit in another fashion on the page or digital image file, and you kept the circuit but worked around the copyright on the circuit drawing.

You can copyright a printed circuit board layout, possibly preventing a direct clone of the circuit board., But there are typically zillions of ways to lay out a circuit board that will all basically work about the same, so if you design yer own PC layout for the same circuit and its different from the copyrighted PC layout, then the PC board copyright doesn't matter.

Same deal, copyright or design patent panel layouts or other look'n'feel aspects of a product. A different panel layout breaks that kind of copyright or design patent.

Many keyboards contain software/firmware to make the thang run. You can copyright the firmware. But just draw up a list of specs of what the firmware has to do, hire a programmer to write a program to fulfill the specs (without ever letting the programmer see any details of the original code). Clean room technique. There are so many ways to skin the cat, your version of the firmware will probably work the same if not better, and odds are slim that two programmers would have come up with code close enough that one could be considered a copy of the other.

Maybe as you say, some kind of trademark protection (and lots of money to pay all the lawyers) would be the best one could do. I'm even more ignorant of trademark than patent and copyright.

It may come down to how much money you can stand to waste on lawyer bills. If a deep pocket company wants to make a shoestring company miserable, the big company doesn't even need defensible charges. All he has to do is drag the little guy into court and force the little guy into bankruptcy paying lawyers, and then it doesn't matter that the judge finally throws out the original frivolous lawsuit. You succeeded in killing the competition anyway.

If a company has deep enough pockets, just the threat of a lawsuit will chase off a little fish, because the little fish can't afford the lawyer fees regardless who is right or wrong.
I heard Roland likes the scare tactics, they probably can afford lots of lawyers... They forced Arturia to screw up the user interface of their latest Jupiter 8 emulation :P

With synths I suppose the user interface is crucial as I doubt Roland or Korg would buy a Behringer synth and take it apart if the user interface, or mere name even, didn't suggest it's a clone.

fluffy_little_something wrote: I heard Roland likes the scare tactics, they probably can afford lots of lawyers... They forced Arturia to screw up the user interface of their latest Jupiter 8 emulation :P
Understandable, when they have a whole armada of emulations of their own synths by now.

chk071 wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote: I heard Roland likes the scare tactics, they probably can afford lots of lawyers... They forced Arturia to screw up the user interface of their latest Jupiter 8 emulation :P
Understandable, when they have a whole armada of emulations of their own synths by now.
Still, not a nice move as they had previously allowed Arturia to use a basically perfect GUI copy.

Did they really allow them, or did they not threaten to sue them? :P

After all, synth design is made by designer for the companies. I'd understand if a company gets pissed off when someone else copies that design, and makes a lot of money with it.

The result was the same...

Yes, and now, Roland does all the fancy emulations of their own gear, and Arturia becomes a competitor. Understandable that you don't want someone else to benefit from the work and money you invested.

Well, it's inconsistent and Arturia also invested a lot of time and money in their emulation, which they might not have done if Roland had said no from the beginning.

With synths I suppose the user interface is crucial as I doubt Roland or Korg would buy a Behringer synth and take it apart if the user interface, or mere name even, didn't suggest it's a clone.
Yeah, big company intimidating little company is only one of the possible lawyer death-matches. Sometimes you get some little guy with his silly patent that should never have been granted, plus a well-heeled greedy lawyer, harrassing a big company as a tetze fly would torture an elephant.

You get battles of the giants where MS squares off against Apple, or Texas Instruments squares off against Toshiba or whatever. Godzilla in a grudge match with Mothra, in the process laying waste Tokyo. Like USA spectacle sports Live Wrestling or Monster Trucks.

Then there are truly pitiful cases where two small fish, neither solvent enough to maintain a regiment of lawyers-- They take years to sue each other into oblivion. All the while some other company takes every bit of business either one of the two litigious little fish ever had.

Kinda like maybe two balding middle-age accountants have a bowie-knife duel in the back alley over the affections of Mavis in accounts receivable, but all the while Mavis had somethin going on with one of the second-shift truck drivers. :)

You been there too ey?

This just popped up for me on the YouTubes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E2oumeL_-4
Image Image Image Image

That was... freakin' awesome :)
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

JCJR wrote:Kinda like maybe two balding middle-age accountants have a bowie-knife duel in the back alley over the affections of Mavis in accounts receivable, but all the while Mavis had somethin going on with one of the second-shift truck drivers. :)
:lol:
No auto tune...

JCJR wrote: Kinda like maybe two balding middle-age accountants have a bowie-knife duel in the back alley over the affections of Mavis in accounts receivable, but all the while Mavis had somethin going on with one of the second-shift truck drivers. :)
Not quite. It's all about money, really. Which is fair enough, i'd do the same, if i saw someone remotely copying what i am doing. At least, if i saw an advantage in it. Imagine you'd do a song, and someone took the exact hookline from it, and is more popular with it than you are. Pretty unfair, isn't it?

I cannot unhear it :help: :smack:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

chk071 wrote:
JCJR wrote: Kinda like maybe two balding middle-age accountants have a bowie-knife duel in the back alley over the affections of Mavis in accounts receivable, but all the while Mavis had somethin going on with one of the second-shift truck drivers. :)
Not quite. It's all about money, really. Which is fair enough, i'd do the same, if i saw someone remotely copying what i am doing. At least, if i saw an advantage in it. Imagine you'd do a song, and someone took the exact hookline from it, and is more popular with it than you are. Pretty unfair, isn't it?
Well, that part of the farcical harangue, about little fish sueing each other to oblivion-- I am ignorant of details but was thinking of cases such as--

When Arp was still a force to be reckoned with, I read that the owners embarked on long drawn-out lawsuits against each other when they should have been hanging together, cooperatively working their arses off and keeping the company competitive. Maybe I got it wrong, just what I remember reading about it.

Other foggily recalled details-- When CP/M was the dominant desktop OS and work was ongoing to make 16 bit and presumably later 32 bit CP/M versions to keep the OS dominance, the prime movers proceeded long drawn-out legal harrassment of each other and after the smoke had cleared CP/M was dead and MSDOS had taken its place. The prime movers had more important issues than trying to be king of the CP/M hill, such as worrying about the infant Microsoft eating their lunch and taking away all their toys. Maybe all that recollection is wrong as well.

Or just the "distraction factor" of small-time legal hassles even if it is not internecine-- In the late 1980's early 1990's I was working "long distance" with a small company making a profit selling midi interfaces and various early midi software. The owner/proprietor, several states away decided to build a big house. There ensued long budget over-runs and quality issues with the contractor, and the owner/proprietor got so angry and distracted about his feud with the house contractor that he quit paying attention to business and the early incarnation of MIDI Man took away every bit of his customers and bankrupted him while he was busy feuding with his house contractor.

Legal variations of "fiddling while Rome burns". :)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”