Korg Prologue

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

At the end of the day, I understand the differing points of view on feature set. And this is all perfectly valid.

However for anyone to suggest that the price reflects something other than the true cost of production is a bit...odd.

It's an increasingly competitive market. This synth has yes, some initially surprising limitations. It's also got some very cool and quite unique features.

transmetropolitan wrote:At the end of the day, I understand the differing points of view on feature set. And this is all perfectly valid.

However for anyone to suggest that the price reflects something other than the true cost of production is a bit...odd.

It's an increasingly competitive market. This synth has yes, some initially surprising limitations. It's also got some very cool and quite unique features.
Yeah, I think the open API concept for user oscillators and FX sounds quite interesting!

People are comparing to the Deepmind, which has a very limited oscillator section compared to the Prologue.

Not only DCOs, DCO2 is square wave only.

I love certain elements of that synth, don't get me wrong. Modulation and envelope options are phenomenal. But it too has some significant limitations.

I remember people were saying it's not possible to have VCO based poly under $1000. I remember people were saying Moog Model D worth $3500.
And so on, and so on.
Last edited by david.beholder on Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Murderous duck!

transmetropolitan wrote:People are comparing to the Deepmind, which has a very limited oscillator section compared to the Prologue.
Novation Peak looks like optimal by now.
transmetropolitan wrote:It's a completely false premise that there is a linear relationship between component cost and production cost/sale price as you are suggesting here.
Yes it's below linear while increasing number of components
And sale price doesn't depend at all
Last edited by david.beholder on Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Murderous duck!

david.beholder wrote:Thanks god we've got choice on market: Peak, DM12 or P8Rev2.
Yep, but their basic sound and character isn't as good as Prologue overall, despite Prologue's sparser feature set (well, let's not forget that DeepMind doesn't have a proper second oscillator, too, so that's a significant limitation as well). IMHO.

EvilDragon wrote:
david.beholder wrote:Thanks god we've got choice on market: Peak, DM12 or P8Rev2.
Yep, but their basic sound and character isn't as good as Prologue overall, despite Prologue's sparser feature set (well, let's not forget that DeepMind doesn't have a proper second oscillator, too, so that's a significant limitation as well). IMHO.
Well it does have but limited (but there is wavefolder on it which is great) plus voice count allows to experiment with unison/stack.
upd: it's more like Juno with effects board vs Jupiter without one argument

I'd rather not say so about basic sound of Peak - basing on demos it sounds great.
Last edited by david.beholder on Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Murderous duck!

Any point hoping VCO3 could be used as a modulation source (i.e. a second lfo) ? Or would that have been explicitly stated in the specs ...

eXode wrote:Otoh the Prophet 6 has only 6 voices vs Prologue 8, similar features, and costs almost the double!
Errh, not really : the Prophet6 is much more complete : two filters (with a resonant HP), two sub-osc, more modulation power, a polyphonic step seq, a stereo distortion, sustain pedal input...

david.beholder wrote:I'd rather not say so about basic sound of Peak - basing on demos it sounds great.
It's very good, and I do like it too. But Prologue (from the demos that I heard) simply has more girth overall. Oscillators are better, filter is very smooth... it has excellent character, it's not just a 4x Minilogue... it does sound a bit different.

sinkmusic wrote:
eXode wrote:Otoh the Prophet 6 has only 6 voices vs Prologue 8, similar features, and costs almost the double!
Errh, not really : the Prophet6 is much more complete : two filters (with a resonant HP), two sub-osc, more modulation power, a polyphonic step seq, a stereo distortion, sustain pedal input...
I don't agree with your assessment of "much more complete"
Prophet 6 does not really have more modulation power, and there's one sub-osc, not two.

The Prologue 8 has ring mod (beside cross mod), not to mention the third, multi oscillator that can be routed post filter if desired. The Prologue 8 can be stacked/split in two. So I'd say they're fairly even though they do some things different. And again, you almost get two Prologue 8 for the price of one Prophet 6.

EvilDragon wrote:It's very good, and I do like it too. But Prologue (from the demos that I heard) simply has more girth overall. Oscillators are better, filter is very smooth... it has excellent character, it's not just a 4x Minilogue... it does sound a bit different.
I've heared couple of breathtaking Peak demos.

Funny I've sold my P6 because modulation was too basic and I preferred basic tone of RePro5. When I heard couple of first minutes of sweetwater Prologue demo I was like RePro5 is still better, modulation is even more limited.

For me it sounds like minilogue with several twists.
Murderous duck!

eXode wrote: Prophet 6 does not really have more modulation power, and there's one sub-osc, not two.
It definitely does thru second oscillator routing bus aka Poly Mod.
Plus it has aftertouch with variable routing.

Facts > opinions.
Murderous duck!

david.beholder wrote:
eXode wrote: Prophet 6 does not really have more modulation power, and there's one sub-osc, not two.
It definitely does thru second oscillator routing bus aka Poly Mod.
Plus it has aftertouch with variable routing.

Facts > opinions.
Which is negated both by the fact that the Prophet 6 doesn't have ring mod, and if you use OSC2 for crossmod (which the Prologue also does) you can't use the Filter EG to modulate the osc pitch independently (which the Prologue can!)

Plus the Prologue offers bi-timbrality.

Besides, I never stated they were EXACTLY the same, I stated that they have a similar feature set with an non similar price.

Facts > opinions. :hihi:
Last edited by eXode on Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ok after diving deeper in to the features its quite remarkable analog synth despite 1 lfo wich isnt that bad. Price is alright i suppose :-) but i wonder can you use those 2 patches separatly in daw :-)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”