Korg Prologue

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

eXode wrote: Which is negated both by the fact that the Prophet 6 doesn't have ring mod, and if you use OSC2 for crossmod (which the Prologue also does) you can't use the Filter EG to modulate the osc pitch independently (which the Prologue can!)
Ring mod mod doesn't replace Filter FM for example etc.
Also LP + HP opens new dimension in sound design in comparison with single lp.
Murderous duck!

david.beholder wrote:
eXode wrote: Which is negated both by the fact that the Prophet 6 doesn't have ring mod, and if you use OSC2 for crossmod (which the Prologue also does) you can't use the Filter EG to modulate the osc pitch independently (which the Prologue can!)
Ring mod mod doesn't replace Filter FM for example etc.
Also LP + HP opens new dimension in sound design in comparison with single lp.
Like I said it's not a feature for feature comparison I'm just opposing the notion that the Prophet 6 is "more". It isn't - just different.

Prologue can layer two different patches, and it also offers a third digital oscillator that will be open API that enables users to program their own, next to the ones already provided. The third oscillator can be routed after the filter as well. There's nothing in the Prophet 6 that replaces that either.

Anyway, I don't feel like making an argument out of it, I compared it to the Prophet 6 for perspective on the price discussion. An 8 voice 2 VCO synth for $1499 might seem a lot compared to i.e. REV2 but it's quite cheap when compared to the Prophet 6, imho.

From what I’ve seen and heard about the Prologue, I’d buy that over both the Prophet 6/OB6 or the DeepMind 12 in a New York minute. The people complaining about it costing too much obviously weren’t around back in the 70’s and 80’s when $2,000 was considered cheap for a synth. Back then, a Prophet or Oberheim would easily set you back $5,000 and not have anywhere near the features of the Prologue. As someone mentioned previously, 32 VCOs cost money, and yet this is very reasonable for the features you get.

I cant get past 1 lfo....

eXode wrote: Like I said it's not a feature for feature comparison I'm just opposing the notion that the Prophet 6 is "more". It isn't - just different.

Prologue can layer two different patches, and it also offers a third digital oscillator that will be open API that enables users to program their own, next to the ones already provided.
Look we're talking about per-voice modulations and per-voice sound design options - P6 beats Prologue - for every lacking option P6 has 2 counter options. Prologue has fewer LFO and EG destinations, nothing like Poly Mod, nothing like Aftertouch bus. For every Prologue feature there are 3 Prophet features.

Digital osc is nice feature - the only sign of progress in comparison with Minilogue - but that's not enough.

Let's stop here.
Ed A. wrote: As someone mentioned previously, 32 VCOs cost money, and yet this is very reasonable for the features you get.
8 VCOs also cost money and has better feature set but nvm.
Last edited by david.beholder on Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Murderous duck!

AnX wrote:I cant get past 1 lfo....

i'm still hoping there's some VCO3 as-a-modulation-source possibility that's not been fully disclosed in the main tech specs.

If it's not in specs, it's probably not happening.

No knob on panel either. I doubt flagship has such menu diving.
Murderous duck!

It is expensive because the baby version, minilogue, has almost the same features and goes by much less, specially the 8 voice version seems very expensive in comparison.

I wouldn't trade VCO's for all the modulation the Rev2 has, and I think the DSI P6 and OB6 are very expensive for what they offer, not my cup of tea at all.

To me, among all the new stuff the Novation Peak seems better value, and comparing demos it sounds as good or better to me than the Prologue.

I thought the point of Korg analog line was to make it a bit more affordable and pack features accordingly, to me the Prologue doesn't do that, it is priced much more like a premium product with a very small feature set.
dedication to flying

EvilDragon wrote:If it's not in specs, it's probably not happening.
david.beholder wrote:No knob on panel either. I doubt flagship has such menu diving.
hope dies last ... :pray:

Layering programs are like menu diving with aqualung on coin sized screen.

Prologue-8 1. Press the EDIT MODE button. The instrument will enter Edit mode. 2. Turn the PROGRAM/VALUE knob or press the EDIT MODE button, and select PROGRAM EDIT. 3. Press button 3. “Sub Timbre” will appear on the display. 4. Turn the PROGRAM/VALUE knob, and select “On”. The sub-timbre will be enabled, and the instrument will play in double timbre mode (4+4 voices). 5. Press the EXIT button. Enter Play mode.
Murderous duck!

Yep, on 16-voice version it's easier because they have some front panel controls for split/layer.

You're right. but why penalize people for choosing 8 voices version :(

Btw I've listened demos on Korg site and I might be wrong but it looks like digital Osc is giving character there not there not VCOs.
Murderous duck!

it seems these were created to simply boost sales of the other 'logue's..?
apart from the open source oscillators, who would really buy one of these? [you don't need to answer this]
the listed price for the 8 voice is $2000. Mono-timbral? even duo-timbral at $1500 is asking a bit much.

Does it support microtuning?
how much of it is actually analog? just wondering, not being a purist.

doesn't seem to have a lot going for it. other than a nice keyboard and some smick looking knobs.

just seems a bit nuts really

sqigls wrote:it seems these were created to simply boost sales of the other 'logue's..?
apart from the open source oscillators, who would really buy one of these? [you don't need to answer this]
the listed price for the 8 voice is $2000. Mono-timbral? even duo-timbral at $1500 is asking a bit much.
8 voice is 1499, 16 voice is 1999.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”