Two new sampling Pocket Operators from Teenage Engineering

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

One of them is a traditional sampler, the other a sampler geared towards voices:

https://teenageengineering.com/products/po/metal

The voice one has different effects aimed at voice manipulation, more sampling time (120 vs 40), and includes one track dedicated to the MicroTonic which I guess means you can load data from MicroTonic like you can with the MicroTonic Pocket Operator.

Both can sample by the built in mic or line in, each goes for $90, and they ship in February.

The status of the OP-Z remains a mystery.

More details in the guides:

https://teenageengineering.com/guides/po-33/en

https://teenageengineering.com/guides/po-35/en

Looks like the traditional sampler (33) has two types of sampling: melodic and drum.

neat-o

Daags wrote:neat-o
Cheet-o

That rhymed.

Statement on the OP-Z, case anyone was wondering:

"many of you are wondering about the development of the OP-Z and its release date. at this point we are in one of the final stages and are just getting ready to go into beta testing. the final release date is not set yet but we aim to have some news for you all soon.
we promise you that you won’t be disappointed."

https://teenageengineering.com/now

Picked up the PO-33 and it's pretty sweet.

The "drum" section is actually a sample slicer that maps the slices across the 16 pads, but it also allows you to set the starting point and length for each slice.

It has two modes: write and perform, but no way to record a performance on the device itself. So you have to input notes manually, which means stopping the pattern playback (My mistake, you don't have to stop the playback, you just have to switch to perform mode), selecting a melodic note or drum slice (depending on the sample method), then entering that note or slice on the pattern.

A somewhat cumbersome way to work, and the only drawback so far.

The sampler works great and it's easy to get samples onto the device, whether by mic or line input. It also gives you some fx and a filter, and while I didn't find the effects to be all that useful (mostly stutter type of effects) the filter is definitely handy.

All in all a nifty little device, whose strength is probably in it's potential to host whatever you put into it.
Last edited by jbw on Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Should add: fx are master only, while the filter is per sample.

jbw wrote:It has two modes: write and perform, but no way to record a performance on the device itself. So you have to input notes manually, which means stopping the pattern playback, selecting a melodic note or drum slice (depending on the sample method), then entering that note or slice on the pattern..
that's a pity ... even a basic 1 bar or 2 bar overdub would be handy.

how far can you pitch shift a sample ?

Daags wrote:how far can you pitch shift a sample ?
8 semitones, which is basically the same range as the pad set up. So you can theoretically double the range, though that gets tricky in practice seeing as you have to manually adjust the automation by using the dial and punch in fx button.

It's mostly handy to have the pitch shift for the drum, or sample slice, section in order to give that part some variety. Obviously the melody sample section already allows you to pitch shift.

jbw wrote:
Daags wrote:how far can you pitch shift a sample ?
8 semitones, which is basically the same range as the pad set up. So you can theoretically double the range, though that gets tricky in practice seeing as you have to manually adjust the automation by using the dial and punch in fx button.

It's mostly handy to have the pitch shift for the drum, or sample slice, section in order to give that part some variety. Obviously the melody sample section already allows you to pitch shift.

i see ...

how many slices can it play at the same time ? (when using drum mode), and how many can it record in a step ??

and same question for the melody sample mode ... how many notes ?

also, what's the lowest tempo it can be set to ?

cheers

You can write in one sample per step for each channel, and then you have 16 channels to work with, 8 melodic and 8 sliced.

Tempo range is 60-240.

jbw wrote:You can write in one sample per step for each channel, and then you have 16 channels to work with, 8 melodic and 8 sliced.

Tempo range is 60-240.

kool, thanks for the info. Thinking about picking up the tonic & the two new sampling units. they're the first pocket operators that really made me think about picking them up. i'm not even luke warm about the previous models.

jbw wrote:Should add: fx are master only, while the filter is per sample.
can fx tweaks be recorded to the pattern ?

It has automation for the 16 fx slots, and you can automate the filter and pitch as well.

In case you didn't know, the PO-35 has a channel dedicated to MicroTonic drum import. So you get to use at least one channel on the PO-35 like you would on the tonic PO.

Correction here:

It has two modes: write and perform, but no way to record a performance on the device itself. So you have to input notes manually, which means stopping the pattern playback (My mistake, you don't have to stop the playback, you just have to switch to perform mode), selecting a melodic note or drum slice (depending on the sample method), then entering that note or slice on the pattern.

jbw wrote:Correction here:

ya, i've been watching some PO-33 youtube videos for the last 30 minutes and was about to bring this up ;)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”