Two new sampling Pocket Operators from Teenage Engineering

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jbw wrote:It has automation for the 16 fx slots, and you can automate the filter and pitch as well.

In case you didn't know, the PO-35 has a channel dedicated to MicroTonic drum import. So you get to use at least one channel on the PO-35 like you would on the tonic PO.
that's a relief about automating the fx slots ... as I said in the post above, I've been watching PO-33 vids (some lovely boom bap hip hop out there on this unit), but didn't notice anyone in the videos I seen automate the fx ... though I saw them play the fx live. Was worried this was a limitation of the device.

something I can't quite wrap my head around, regarding the single (micro)Tonic voice on the PO-35 ... it's one voice, but what exactly does that mean in practise .... does it mean you can send it a full patch, but each step can only play one of the 15 (or is it 16 ?) sounds in the patch ?

Hm, I just assumed that one channel on the PO-35 gives you access to the 16 tonic sounds, but I could be wrong. It would be weird to have just one sound on that channel, and not all that useful.

Also, regarding workflow on the 33, not having to stop is significant because you can keep the pattern rocking and test out different things in perform mode. Then just switch to write mode when you want to set it in stone. It's not even a drawback really, more like, I was hoping you could record in performance mode. :D

The slicer to me is the biggest surprise on the 33, and being able to set the starting point and length of each slice, as that really gives you a ton of possibilities. Up to 8 channels of melodies, beats, baselines, or whatever, all sliceable. Or you could make it 4 channels, with variations of each sample made before import.

Again, the strength in the PO-33 probably rests in what you put into it.

jbw wrote:Hm, I just assumed that one channel on the PO-35 gives you access to the 16 tonic sounds, but I could be wrong. It would be weird to have just one sound on that channel, and not all that useful.
agreed.

jbw wrote:The slicer to me is the biggest surprise on the 33, and being able to set the starting point and length of each slice, as that really gives you a ton of possibilities. Up to 8 channels of melodies, beats, baselines, or whatever, all sliceable. Or you could make it 4 channels, with variations of each sample made before import.

Again, the strength in the PO-33 probably rests in what you put into it.
yep ... i'm a bit of a sampler junkie.

do you own any other pocket operators, or are these two sampling models your first ?

I owned the tonic one briefly, and thought it was really cool, but ended up selling it because it was a bit redundant for my setup.

I actually only own the 33 right now, though the effects on the 35 have me intrigued.

jbw wrote:I owned the tonic one briefly, and thought it was really cool, but ended up selling it because it was a bit redundant for my setup.

I actually only own the 33 right now, though the effects on the 35 have me intrigued.
did you use the microtonic software with the PO-32 ?

the sample memory disparity between the 33 and 35 seems kinda weird ... 40 seconds for the 33, and 120 for the 35 ? ... I guess they're working within hardware limitations :shrug:

Daags wrote:did you use the microtonic software with the PO-32 ?

the sample memory disparity between the 33 and 35 seems kinda weird ... 40 seconds for the 33, and 120 for the 35 ? ... I guess they're working within hardware limitations :shrug:
I did use the software, and thought it was the strength of the package, but in the end I just found myself favoring drum options I already had on my computer as they were a bit easier to use.

I consider the 40 seconds on the 33 to be a creative constraint, in the good sense of the phrase, in that sometimes it's good to set up guidelines. I plan on using the device as a mini song creator, without trying to incorporate it into anything, and the flexibility of being able to use that 40 seconds for anything opens it up compared to the tonic.

I wouldn't sleep on the tonic though, it's a great device with the software, just depends on what you're looking for.

Not sure about the large descrepancy between the sampling time between the 33 and 35. Could have something to do with processing power or memory, or both, with the 33 offering slicing and I don't think the 35 has a filter.

jbw wrote:
Daags wrote:did you use the microtonic software with the PO-32 ?

I did use the software, and thought it was the strength of the package, but in the end I just found myself favoring drum options I already had on my computer as they were a bit easier to use.

I consider the 40 seconds on the 33 to be a creative constraint, in the good sense of the phrase, in that sometimes it's good to set up guidelines. I plan on using the device as a mini song creator, without trying to incorporate it into anything, and the flexibility of being able to use that 40 seconds for anything opens it up compared to the tonic.

I wouldn't sleep on the tonic though, it's a great device with the software, just depends on what you're looking for.

Not sure about the large descrepancy between the sampling time between the 33 and 35. Could have something to do with processing power or memory, or both, with the 33 offering slicing and I don't think the 35 has a filter.
ah yes, creative constraints ... that old chestnut ; )

I figure it's just as much as they could offer, given the available resources ... can't imagine they could have squeezed more out of the existing hardware, but chose not to for philosophical reasons. I suppose the differences between the two units, and why the PO-35 might have so much more available sample memory, will become apparent when I have them in my hands, but judging by youtube videos and demos alone, it's a bit of a head scratcher.

the nicest music i've heard from pocket operators has come from the PO-33 ... I could see people rocking two or more. Certainly multiple PO-33's would be more useful to me than adding any of the older units.

regarding the tonic, yes i agree ... the microtonic software is the strength of the package. can't really fathom buying or keeping a tonic if i wasn't going to create patches with the software.

They need one operator to rule them all.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

BMoore wrote:They need one operator to rule them all.
They could call it the Optotrack.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”