Behringer Neutron

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

justin3am wrote:I'm not on board with this trend of putting all the patch points off to one side.
justin3am wrote:It's that spacial association which is important to me. If the jacks are somehow arranged in relationship to the controls which they are related, I don't have to read the labels because it's just intuitive. With these grids of jacks, it's tougher to get to that point of being able to patch without referencing the labels.

the tactile benefits gained by putting patch points all to one side far outweigh any signal-flow-at-a-glance benefits of peppering patch points all over the board next to controls. ultimately you're going to learn your instrument through use anyway regardless of where the patch points are ... so reducing wire clutter should be a major priority imo. ya, fiddling through a web of wires looks kooler when you're playing to 30 people at 2pm in your local cafe ... but i'd sacrifice that 'wire spaghetti' cachet for practicality in a heart beat.

NEOREV wrote:I am pretty much 100% positive that there will be a patchbay like the one teased in that earlier on the right side of the synth like the Mother 32.

Just look at the Neutron logo and Behringer logo, they are definitely off center. Look at the space to the left of the Neutron logo, that same space should be to the right of the Behringer logo so they appear centered. Perfect amount of space to fit that patchbay to the right of the controls. ;)
I think this is it, so plenty of jack points.

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2018/ ... namm-show/

Daags wrote:
justin3am wrote:I'm not on board with this trend of putting all the patch points off to one side.
justin3am wrote:It's that spacial association which is important to me. If the jacks are somehow arranged in relationship to the controls which they are related, I don't have to read the labels because it's just intuitive. With these grids of jacks, it's tougher to get to that point of being able to patch without referencing the labels.

the tactile benefits gained by putting patch points all to one side far outweigh any signal-flow-at-a-glance benefits of peppering patch points all over the board next to controls. ultimately you're going to learn your instrument through use anyway regardless of where the patch points are ... so reducing wire clutter should be a major priority imo. ya, fiddling through a web of wires looks kooler when you're playing to 30 people at 2pm in your local cafe ... but i'd sacrifice that 'wire spaghetti' cachet for practicality in a heart beat.
I agree 100%. Our statements don't contradict each other. My preference is for jacks to line the bottom or top, in rows to line up with columns of related controls. It makes it easier to visualize signal flow and you can have something like a channel of cables, out of the way of controls. Kinda like the way jacks are arranged on the Model D.

Luckily, there are a glut of options in the realm of semi-modular and modular synths; with varying perspectives on interface design. I can be really picky about the way I would like my synths to look and feel and still have a lot of options. It's a remarkable time to be a sound/synthesis enthusiast.

justin3am wrote:My preference is for jacks to line the bottom or top, in rows to line up with columns of related controls. It makes it easier to visualize signal flow and you can have something like a channel of cables, out of the way of controls. Kinda like the way jacks are arranged on the Model D.
a-ha, yes, gotcha. yep, that's good too :tu:

justin3am wrote:I'm not really impressed with the Microvolt either. I got to play with that yesterday for a few minutes. I like Pittsburg modular filters and oscillators on their own but I've never clicked with the complete voices they make.
I haven't tried the SV-1 or the older Synthesizer Box, and I'm not at NAMM... but I've really grown fond of the Double Helix. The folder/LPG section in it is just really tasty to me.

I find I often dislike the folder on the 0-Coast except within certain sweet spots, but I still like the instrument overall.

I've got everything but the VCO (basic triangle core anyway) and folder from the 0-Coast in my rack. I've got pretty much the entire Microvolt in my rack, minus the Binary Filter. Maybe I should consider something else in that space instead.

I'm hearing rumors about $300 for the Neutron. That could be way off base, or not... it's hard to say with Behringer. At that price it seems more interesting than the D, but I definitely need more info.

A few more details released at synthtopia - http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2018/ ... nthesizer/

The Behringer Neutron is an analog synthesizer with a semi-modular architecture.
It’s offers internal normalization, so it can be used without any patching, but offers a matrix of patch points on its right side, so you can override the internal signal flow.
VCF with controls for frequency cutoff, resonance, filter depth and envelope depth.
Noise
LFO
2 ADSR envelopes
Overdrive
Delay
Sample and hold
Slew
Attenuators
7×8 patch matrix

NEOREV wrote: Just look at the Neutron logo and Behringer logo, they are definitely off center.
Theyre on the extreme left of the unit, so yes theyre off center :lol:
Amazon: why not use an alternative

That's one ugly looking synth ... horrible colour too. It looks cheap.

thecontrolcentre wrote:It looks cheap.
Hopefully, it is cheap.

Kind of hard to tell how it actually looks outside the context of unflattering melodramatic lighting and silly camera moves. And that's the least important aspect of the thing.

I was going by this picture. rather than the video ...

Here you go, this one looks expensive :hihi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jxWOWUwFWA

And yet it seems to be designed by somebody who had a late 80's Casio, some kitchen appliances and a couple of Star Trek TNG episodes for reference.

thecontrolcentre wrote:Image
Tasty

foosnark wrote:Here you go, this one looks expensive :hihi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jxWOWUwFWA

And yet it seems to be designed by somebody who had a late 80's Casio, some kitchen appliances and a couple of Star Trek TNG episodes for reference.
Lol :D Seriously, it does...

And now we get to see it in its full glory...

Patchbay!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWwI2sa4PU4

Oh here we go.

[EDIT: beaten to the punch on the video post. :hihi:]

Looks and sounds pretty promising overall. 3340 VCOs (probably their clones, not genuine Curtis) but with sine outs (important for FM) and apparently wavefolding. Paraphonic. CV over resonance. Nice shot of the patch bay and the whole thing. Lots of modular utilities built in. Patch panel layout seems... not ideal but not terrible.

I only see two things missing from my ideal:

-- at least an individual square output for each VCO, if not one for each shape. I often find it handy to grab a square to sync/trigger other things, while using other shapes. That's okay, comparators are a thing.
-- CV over delay time. That's available on the Erebus, and it's nice to be able to hit it with squares or a subtle sine/tri for chorus/flanger type stuff.

I'm really curious about price now...

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”