Launchpad Pro vs Circuit

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What’s up KVR? I’m really close to buying a Circuit because it just looks really fun to use. I have a bunch of hardware synths and software synths, and use Logic Pro X as a DAW. This is why I wonder if I need circuit as my synthesizer needs are more than met, and its truly the sequencer that attracts me. I know that with Circuit, I will be able to sequence or play the included 2 part, 6 voice synths in scale mode. I will also be able to sequence/play MIDI HW synths. Then I saw that Launchpad Pro also has scale mode, but it’s designed for use with Ableton Live. It has a lot more pads than Circuit, so for playing poly synths, seems desirable. I understand I can probably program the crap out of it and get it to work with Logic, but I don’t really relish the idea of doing all of that.

So, I know I can use Launchpad Pro in scale mode to play some chords or melodies live on a MIDI HW synth.

Will I be able to connect it to Logic as a MIDI controller, and do the same with softsynths?

Also, will I be able to record a MIDI performance in Logic if I choose to?

Lastly, does the Launchpad sequence MIDI like the Circuit? Or does that require Ableton Live?

Thanks
Logic Pro X : Prophet Rev2, Blofeld, Toraiz-AS1, Model D, Minibrute, MOTU 828x, Presonus Eris E7's, dozens of pedals

I use a LPpro and LIVE so I can't speak to it's function-ability with Logic
but I sold a TriggerFinger2 in order to move to the LP and I think you might want to consider that - especially regarding sequencing. It interfaces with any DAW like a MoFo
TF2 does that very, very well

best of luck
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

If you want all the sequencer functionality of the Circuit but don't need the synths, you want an Arturia Beatstep Pro. The feature set between the two as sequencers only is nearly identical, multiple synth sequencers and a nice set of drum trigger sequencers.

Keep in mind that although the Circuit has a lot of pads, only half of them are used for sequencing, so comparing it to the Launchpad is probably not that similar.

I got a great deal on a Circuit for $200. Couldn’t pass that up. I’m pretty well researched up on it, and a big fan of the old Nova synth engine inside. Also have wanted some hardware to play MY drum samples for a while. Creating analog drum sounds with my modular is a passtime.

I’m curious to see how the sequencer and scale mode will work with Logic Pro X. I think I should be able to get it to work, might take some digging in to the dreaded depths of Logic, but I’ll figure it out. I have an old M-Audio Oxy 49 that I’m gonna break out and program the knobs and sliders to work as a moxed for the Circuit. I’ll let you know how it goes.
Logic Pro X : Prophet Rev2, Blofeld, Toraiz-AS1, Model D, Minibrute, MOTU 828x, Presonus Eris E7's, dozens of pedals

RichieWitch wrote:If you want all the sequencer functionality of the Circuit but don't need the synths, you want an Arturia Beatstep Pro.
I double that.
RichieWitch wrote:The feature set between the two as sequencers only is nearly identical, multiple synth sequencers and a nice set of drum trigger sequencers.
I don´t double that... the hands on performance is much better on the Beatstep Pro because allmost every function has a dedicated button that is clearly labeled, and the Circuit has not. And the Beatstep Pro has multiple times as much pattern & chain memory as the Circuit, 16-part drum track instead of 4-part, etcetera. I had both items in use... used the Beatstep Pro for 2 Years, but returned the Circuit within the 30 days money back guarantee. It is fine as an all in one groovebox is that is what you´re after, the Beatstep Pro can´t deliver that. But when you want to use it for the sequencing features, you´re much better of with the Beatstep Pro... best performance sequencer I ever had, very straight forward to use... just my 50 cents... cheers!
Spotify Playlist DEEP DARK ELECTRO
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/16PIk ... 7ytRA4yLTQ
A digest across multiple generations of dark electro, dark synth and electronic body music.

BSP doesn't do chords. Circuit does. BSP needs external sound module. Circuit does not.

dermichl wrote:BSP needs external sound module.
Yes. It´s not a groovebox. It´s a sequencer.
Spotify Playlist DEEP DARK ELECTRO
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/16PIk ... 7ytRA4yLTQ
A digest across multiple generations of dark electro, dark synth and electronic body music.

a sequencer lacking polyphony

Is there a standalone midi sequencer (i.e., one that can be used with midi hardware, not requiring a computer) that will sequence chords? Looks like the Launchpad Pro can do it, but you need to load in different firmware - is that correct?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”