Best Hardware/ Software for a beginner producing garage/ house/ deep house

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm new to EDM. I'm wanting to start learning myself how to produce garage/ house/ deep house tracks but wanting to do so on a budget- at least to start off with. If possible, it would be good to have some hardware keyboard/s as I'm of the older generation and like to feel the real thing and then some software. I've been looking for some 2nd hand Korg M1 and Triton's. From what I can gather with the Triton for example you can load samples and do the whole production on that keyboard without using logic pro for example. The tracks I'm want to produce I'm wishing to work heavily with samples (through old records etc) and develop a nice sample bank for future use. I'm also keen to experiment with drums and base sounds and possibly synths. Would i need to buy more equipment then due to the Korg's age? I've also heard Korg now have a phone app you can load and have all the M1 sounds etc. So many options out there and to be honest I'm a bit confused. Help!! :help:

ok...
EDM = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLC11XZmfu4
Garage isn't EDM.
Deep House is almost the OPPOSITE of EDM. Far from the shallow EDM 'put your ego in the air', hence the "deep" prefix.
EDM isn't a blanket for anything 'electronic' you can dance to. It's a very embarrassing acronym.
EDM is a horrible grating 'genre' built from stolen ideas, overused techniques, cracked copies of Sylenth1 and drug money. That's all.
I just say this because if you don't realise, you're gonna get a few funny looks from people genuinely into real garage and deep house, when you start flinging the term around. Best to avoid using it, unless Spinnin Records is your next port of call.

Secondly, if you're new to making music with devices requiring electricity, then you have a LOT to learn.
Demo a few Digital Audio Workstations (DAWs), pick one, then just get yourself a whole bunch of free plugins.
There are a few free samplers out there, your DAW probably even comes with one.
If you feel the need for a keyboard, furry muff, but you don't need one.
An M1 might have a few good sounds for Deep House, but it's dated as f**k. I guess it depends on what sounds you like.

Spend the next 5 years or so, becoming familiar with your DAW and plugins. Build up a good sample library. Understand and abuse your effects. Learn stuff, develop your own style... Take your time. Have fun.
After a while, you might be able to get an idea of what you wanna spend your money on.
but gear won't save you if you have no soul.
If you really need to follow the leader then go read some interviews with artists you like and find out what they use!? But really, most plugins offer a demo version you can use your own ears.
In reality, it doesn't matter so much WHAT you buy, when you develop your own style and sound, it shines through whatever synth or effects you use. Aim for something awesome though. Forking out the money for one good plugin or piece of hardware (on sale of course) is better than buying 3 average ones and never really using them.

Personally, I'd recommend Ableton Live. It's all you really need for the first few years.

For "EDM" he probably meant "electronic dance music". Go troll somewhere else.

For production using samples, get Ableton. Or one of Akai MPC device line. Sample-based hardware has been obsolete for 15 years now, I guess. I don't know anobyody who still uses hardare arrangers, especially for EDM. For sure they don't get much recognition here on KVR :hihi:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote:For "EDM" he probably meant "electronic dance music". Go troll somewhere else.
i'm not quite sure of your intent here.
are you telling ME to "go troll somewhere else"?

Ok if you're really on a budget then I'd suggest you look into this.

I'm also just using JRRshop as a reference, i've never shopped with them so I don't know how good they are to do business with. You can find this sold in many other stores if you feel like shopping with them.

https://www.jrrshop.com/korg-microkey-6 ... d-keyboard

Getting the Microkey 61 will give you a copy of the Korg Legacy Edition (61 key version only) and a copy of Reason Limited which can be upgrade to the full version of Reason for $99 (Currently on sale)

Info about the Reason Upgrade here.
https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... edlimited/

Picture below of the included software that comes with all MicroKEY controllers.
korgmicrokeybundle.png
Picture below of the included korg legacy software that comes with all MicroKEY61 controllers. Not sure if you get the newer Arp odyssey.
bundle_2_5.jpg

So really you can't go wrong with this bundle. Not only will you get a keyboard controller, and the Korg Legacy but you'll also get the option to get a DAW if you spend another $99

If you feel later you don't like the minikeyboard then you can always sell the controller and keep the software.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:borg:

There is no best software / hardware ... try some demos and choose what works for you.

sqigls wrote:Personally, I'd recommend Ableton Live. It's all you really need for the first few years.
Not too excited to take part on that EDM talk.. Seen few bloody wars here about it :-o

Anyways, I'd recommend to test lots of DAWs.. My suggestions would be Reason 10 or Bitwig. Both have a bit more modular approach but can keep things simple. And Reason has built in pitch correction for vocals and enough tools to keep busy for half a decade.

Thanks everyone for your replies, really appreciate it.
From what everybody has posted it seems just going off the computer DAW is the best way to go as hardware is outdated.........maybe a midi keyboard as extra and that's about it. I did have a midi keyboard a few years back but ended up selling it. I was just so used to having sounds coming directly out of a keyboard as they did with the first keyboard I had back in the late 80's. So....seems like I'll just need to get used to the technology curve...... as they say, change is as good as a holiday!

If you want to check out an alternative hardware setup, this guy is doing some good stuff with an Electribe and some Volcas.
Image Image Image Image

Chaps74 wrote:From what everybody has posted it seems just going off the computer DAW is the best way to go as hardware is outdated...
Oh no.. The point is, find you tools. If you want to spend lots of money, just go ahead and buy hardware. You may want to buy a laptop too and maybe a license of Reaper to record everything you do. Unless you want to record on tape :lol: Though I've seen people to use iPads as the center of their setup.

My own "setup" is few DAWS that I can't decide which is my favorite (Reason is awesome, so is Reaper and Bitwig), then I have pile of software instruments and FX, and as hardware Waldorf Blofeld and Rocket. And of course midi keyboard and Korg Nanopad2 and Nanokontrol2. I'm going to buy more hardware at some point, because I like the workflow, hands on thingy and sound. Software I like because there are synths that either don't have hardware counterpart or has but it costs a fortune. Plus software goes easily with you where ever you go.

Let's run through the basics of what you need...

1. Computer
I'm assuming you already have this. Your computer and operating system will inform your options with software.

2. Audio interface
To turn the 1s and 0s from the computer into an audio signal. There are some good options for less than £100 and you should consider what you're likely to do over the next year or two to define your needs with things like i/o.

3. Monitoring
Your hifi at home will be fine for now. Good headphones are a helpful addition if you have them.

4. Software
You need some kind of DAW. There are good options that are cheap (and if you want lots of hardware you can go simpler on software). If you're comfortable spending more, starting with the sort of music you're discussing I might be inclined to give Ableton a try.

From there you have a number of options available. You could opt for a primarily hardware focussed set up:

Cheap hardware sampler or samplers - some good options available cheaply
Second hand workstation keyboard
Monosynth of some kind
Second hand FX unit like Ensoniq DP/4

If this is basically what you want, remember to factor in the additional i/o you'll need when choosing interfaces. This kinda setup is harder to set up in many respects, getting cabling and signal flow right, dealing with more difficult midi setup. Older samplers have limitations in terms of memory that we'd laugh about today. My (mono only) Akai S01 cost £1000 back in the day and has 1mb of memory - yes you read that right!

But it will be more authentic to the era of music I think you like and also, the difficulty with things like signal flow means you learn that stuff much more quickly than in software. Don't forget, hardware takes up a lot of space, so you'll need some of that too.

The alternative would be to stick with software and choose midi controllers to integrate with your setup to give you the hardware experience. This option is cheaper (not necessarily by lots, however its possible to spend a lot more on hardware once that train is on the roll) and you have more options available. It's really worth spending time integrating software with controllers and figuring out a setup that is inspiring for you to play. There are so many possibilities and configuring things to your preferences is the name of the game.

Good luck!

And since you were looking the best, there's no answer on that. Since we're all different and what I find best, doesn't necessarily work with you ;)

For example tracktion. Awesome DAW, people do awesome stuff with it, but I hate it. I just can't wrap my head around it. Cubase was installed even less time than Tracktion :lol:

Why I recommend that you'd get Reason? It has so much stuff built in, that you don't have to spend a dime in a loooooong time if you buy that. Most of DAWs come with piles of built in content, but IMO Reason is the most bang for buck. Even has a built in pitch correction if you feel like singing :hihi:

Thanks transmetropolitan and distorted horizon.
I understand all of what you are saying. I'm not a huge tech head which is why I was thinking of getting a second hand Korg Triton Hardware first .....I'm from Australia and there's one for sale near me for about $600 Australian which probably seems a bit much if I'm on a budget :lol: . Although the option V0RT3X said was also good too - Korg midi and Reason. The Triton work station may sound like a lot of money but from the U tube demos i've watched it seems really easy to use for a beginner with a basic led screen etc that is straight forward and user friendly. I can still layer tracks, add samples, distort them etc. I'm assuming you can then hook the Triton up to a PC. The Korg triton only has 16 mg ram though. I suppose I can transfer what i do onto a computer once the memory gets tight. I do have an apple Mac computer.
Hadn't thought of Audio interface Transmetropolutan. I'm sure I'll understand more of what that does as I learn more.
I was planning on singing at some stage and sampling my own voice.

"But it will be more authentic to the era of music I think you like and also, the difficulty with things like signal flow means you learn that stuff much more quickly than in software. Don't forget, hardware takes up a lot of space, so you'll need some of that too"

Transmetropolutan.....your comment above is why I'm thinking hardware first to get my confidence up on something simple.

just to finish that last sentence.....start simple ......and then complicate it when confidence continues to build with the knowledge and experience you gain.

Chaps74 wrote:I do have an apple Mac computer.
Hadn't thought of Audio interface
What specs does it have? If it's old and powerful as a gameboy, hardware isn't such a bad idea.

Audio interface you need to connect that workstation (if you really buy that.. though little bird told me that workstation may have a bit more difficult workflow than doing the same things in a DAW) to your computer. And of course you need that audio interface to connect microphone. Something like Steinberg UR22 has 2 inputs so you could hook microphone and workstation (or guitar) to it at the same time. Aaaaand when you have that interface, you of course need monitor speakers to hear anything.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”