Roland TR-8S

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ACB Meets Samples

The TR-8S comes loaded with the largest, most authentic collection of TR drum machines available. The powerful new processor gives our next-generation ACB models a whole new level of detail and nuance, giving you that classic Roland boom, snap, and sizzle. And now you can incorporate preset and custom samples, creating unique hybrid and layered kits, and enhance them with specialized effects that inject professional sound design into the TR formula.

https://www.roland.com/au/products/tr-8s/features/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKn_q0Q0lsc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WDFJycWFAo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQwu6DYPzIw

Looks pretty cool, but this is a strong no buy from me since its too similar to my TR-8. I think that this is what it should have been from the beginning. I actually dont even have my TR-8 hooked up at the moment. anyone wanna buy?

Drum machines have come a long way since the RX-17 I had :hihi:

I don't need this at all, but it looks sexy and seems pretty well designed. And yeah, it's probably what the TR-8 should have been.

I agree, this is what the TR-8 should have been from the very beginning.

I didn't buy the TR-8, I wasn't fully convinced and in the meantime I bought a lot of items... Now I have the TR-08 and TR-09, but this looks interesting because of the sampling feature (I have to rely on a MPC500 for samples, if I want to stay OTB) and the individual outputs.
I'll wait for comparisons to the Boutiques (the sound is a must for studio work), but on the paper this looks like a really nice solution for the 90% of my drum needs.

It would be an easier for me to decide if the TR-08 and TR-09 weren't already part of my setup, it's hard for me to say goodbye to a piece of gear once I bought it...
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

I had a 909 in the 80's - but always liked Yamaha drum machines better. The cymbal sizzle were much nicer on Yamaha, IMO.

But overall like what Roland is doing with the retro stuff. D-05 is excellent D-50 replica.

Previous TR-8 was already nice, this is significant step forward. Well, it's Roland.

Yes, I'd like to have this groovebox, but no, I'm not going to spend money for this one :shrug:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Roland 808 is also out as a VST on Roland Cloud now so you can demo it for 30 days free and hear what the hardware will sound like (I have a System 1 and the plugs are identical to the hardware, its only the quality of your soundcard that will affect the final sound. :tu:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Stupid American Pig wrote:Looks pretty cool, but this is a strong no buy from me since its too similar to my TR-8. I think that this is what it should have been from the beginning. I actually dont even have my TR-8 hooked up at the moment. anyone wanna buy?
Really?

To me it's a massive upgrade from a TR-8, and pretty much exactly what I would have wanted in a sequel.

This one right here is the first Roland product I wanna buy in a very VERY long time (1998?).

I've watched some demo's on Youtube and to me it sounds flat and boring. There's no punch in the drums, it just sounds way overcompressed.

Reefius wrote:I've watched some demo's on Youtube and to me it sounds flat and boring. There's no punch in the drums, it just sounds way overcompressed.
OMG..overcompressed? I mean wtf? :dog:

I never liked the sound of any of the Aira series, they sound too processed to my ears.

A nice step up from the TR-8 but Roland still insist on not supporting class-compliant USB. Maybe next time.
Image Image Image Image

Looks good, sounds good and is a step up from the TR8 but none of the upgrades appeal to me atm. I think Roland have done a good job with ACB, its a good technology but I wish they would also release an analog version for professionals and purists as it definitely has a better sound, the new one doesn't have that oldskool punch that you hear in 80s hiphop or electro/techno and house.

I cant see why they cant cater for all markets, if they could do it in the early 80s then why not now in 2018?
If not then why not just focus on the sounds that really matter like the kick and snares in analog and keep the rest digital?

tehlord wrote:
Stupid American Pig wrote:Looks pretty cool, but this is a strong no buy from me since its too similar to my TR-8. I think that this is what it should have been from the beginning. I actually dont even have my TR-8 hooked up at the moment. anyone wanna buy?
Really?

To me it's a massive upgrade from a TR-8, and pretty much exactly what I would have wanted in a sequel.
I must’ve been in a bad mood that day. It is. And I’ve spent time with the videos and agree. I do think that I will pass on it just because my pawnshop addiction has landed me some pretty awesome gear in the same price range so I am out of space and the functionality is redundant.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”