Where have all the modules gone?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think the M3 was the last product produced as a detachable unit (though not really a rack mount)
As I look around the market no one is making them (synths, romplers, effects) anymore.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Apparently they're not profitable or somesuch :/

Nord did make Lead 4R and A1R (this is all after M3) but they weren't on the market for too long...

Its unfortunate. Rack synths are great for those of us who are short of room. I scored an A1R before they were discontinued.

There are quite a few recent-ish and upcoming desktop synths without keyboards. Streichfett, Roland Boutiques, lots of semi-modulars etc. I was kind of surprised the new Arturia stuff didn't come in a more compact form without the keyboard or sequencer.

When will they ever learn...
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Overall - is it maybe that is cost a lot to run two series of every hardware synth you make - it must pay off.

Units that really encourage making own sounds is more useful to have a keyboard with it. Those that are basically ROM-modules anyway with hardly anything but endless menudisplays - it does not matter. Roland has a history of making modules versions of almost every synth.

I think Roland did a clever approach on Boutique series - module and ability to plugin to keyboard dock thingy.
At least makes it easier to have unit on your lap and making sound presets.
Obviously not a full two hand playable in the same sense but still good idea. And for touring you have your master keyboard anyway.

D-05 actually fits nicely on top of Nord Lead 2X - like they were made for each other. Takes no place at all. But lacking all the knobs Nord has. So didn't spend money on the keyboard dock yet.

Hammond has a unit as second manual for their XK3/XK5-series - but overpriced sadly.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”