Clavia nord 1 ----- vs ------acceses virus b

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I can only score one of these and nearly the same price second hand I know the first nord has the best reputation for all the nords but I heard the virus is a really warm synth
Anyone own these fabulous machines ?
Also I have a native instruments kontrol s keyboards that has midi in and out can I hook up hardware synths also I have a soundcraft signature MTK 12 mixer
Thank you for looking

Did you heard warmness yourself or people talking about it?
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Just other people opinions that is all

The Nord Lead is a great VA. I've had a play with one a few times as my friend owns one (its for sale actually). Its one of the best looking VA polysynths imho. Sounds great. I've never touched a Virus ...

Yes. You can connect your Kontrol S to other synths over midi and also your audio interface if it has midi out/thru.

What was the price you've been offered on the Nord?
Last edited by thecontrolcentre on Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks man for that

lectropunk wrote:Just other people opinions that is all
Everyone have different preference/taste/opinion about what "warm" means to him, some folks love artifacts of older models, maybe you hate it, let your ears decide, find some videos of both synths on You Tube and find warmness if there's one for you.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

The nord was 450,!€ but I could haggle to 400,€

lectropunk wrote:The nord was 450,!€ but I could haggle to 400,€
Good price depending on the condition.

Nord is more immediate to program, slightly less capable in terms of synthesis. Virus has a little bit of menu diving, but nothing drastic.

Nord could be described and more cold/plastic sounding, but I don't mean that in a negative way. It's just it's character. Virus can be lush, warm and massive.

If I had to choose one, I'd go with the Virus simply because it's a little bit more capable. And also because the Virus is probably my favourite synth of all time.

So I'm not biased :hihi:

Thank you for this :-)

Don't you already have a Virus TI? If yes, then obviously go for Nord because Virus TI has everything the older Viruses had.

There is some debate over the web that Virus B had slightly "meatier" sound due to different converters but I personally don't believe the difference is big enough to justify buying another Virus.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Cheers pal I sold my Snow virus a while back but I like all the knobs on the virus b
:-)

Virus B vs Ti sounds the same with the same patch. I tested them a while back with the old B preset library like the Ovature CK patch. Other than the position of the free-running LFOs they were the same.

I didn't gel with my old Nord 1R , was a bit weird to program after coming from a Virus B. I can't remember specifics as it's been 10 years since I last touched a Nord , but I remember trying to set up certain modulations made me scratch my head quite a bit. I kept it in the rack for a couple of years but didn't really use it. #

Download the Nord Modular PC demo to see if you gel with the sound, it sounds pretty much the same as Lead.

Going from a Ti Snow to a B is going to be quite a noticeable backwards step. Fewer effects, no wavetables, no filter distortions or emulation types etc. It's like half a synth compared to the Ti.

Keep saving for a Ti desktop or a Nord 3.

Thank you :-)

thecontrolcentre wrote:The Nord Lead is a great VA. I've had a play with one a few times as my friend owns one (its for sale actually). Its one of the best looking VA polysynths imho. Sounds great. I've never touched a Virus ...

Yes. You can connect your Kontrol S to other synths over midi and also your audio interface if it has midi out/thru.

What was the price you've been offered on the Nord?
I got the virus but can't get it working with ableton or my kontrol s keyboard if you help me I have loads of goodies for you :-)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”