FX Pedals for synths

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

bharris22 wrote:I have the Zoom MS-50G and think it is excellent. IIRC, with the latest firmware update, it has even more effects than the CDR-70, and is usually about $20 less in cost. The 50G has emulations of many boutique pedals, including several by Strymon, Eventide, etc., plus it has (naturally) many distortions. For the price, I don't think you can go wrong.

Check out the model listing here: https://www.zoom-na.com/sites/default/f ... ist_v3.pdf
Looks good. Does a few more things, so it really comes down to more effects in one pedal, or stereo in as well as out.

On my board right now:

Little Bear R.Attack: ProCo RAT clone. I don't love it, but it works for me sometimes.

Earthquaker Afterneath: nice delay-fuses-into-reverb hybrid thingy, good for ambient or background sparkly stuff. Mono. Minimum predelay is a little long for my tastes and I sure wouldn't use it as my only reverb, but it has a cool vibe and can build up to infinite freezes.

Zoom MS70-CDR: love it. Cheap, capable, stereo, sounds good, interface is good if you don't expect full control with feet. The "missing" effects compared to other Zoom pedals tend to be distortion and amp sims, which aren't as vital to synths. Some combinations of mono & stereo effects will collapse everything down to mono, and some combinations need more DSP power than it has so it will shut off effects in the chain if it can't deal. Usually not a problem.

Red Panda Tensor: what even is it? A "time warp", a tape loop sim that does things that tape physically can't do. Looper, pitch shifter, time stretcher, reverser, flanger and/or glitcher that listens to your playing and can adapt buffer resets to be musically in sync. It's really smart and has MIDI over USB to tweak some additional settings or control it via CCs.

Ordered & shipping soon:

Cimmerian Caves V2: really watery/dizzy sounding dark modulation delay and a fuzz. The first version was a dual delay that could do series or parallel, but this one is smaller and cheaper.

Stuff I'm thinking about:

TC Electronic Mojomojo: from demos, seems to be the best-sounding overdrive for synth to my ears. MF Drive is also good, and JHS Color Box preamp seems cool but pricey.

AC Noises AMA: reverb with an oscillator that extends the tail into something more droney. Also has a bitcrusher mode that kind of doesn't fit IMHO.

Rifftone Mantra: a $60 dual MN3205 BBD that's not by Behringer :hihi:

Fairfield Circuitry Shallow Water: lofi chaotic modulation and a lowpass gate, sort of a wow-and-flutter-ish effect. (But to be honest, I probably am close enough with the other stuff.)

EHX Lester K: rotary simulator and overdrive.

Meris Mercury 7: gorgeous forever reverb that you could curl up and go to sleep in.

Deserves mention as being great for synths:

Zvex Instant Lo-Fi Junky
Red Panda Particle
Eventine H9
Strymon BigSky
Montreal Assembly Count To Five
...probably several more

Check out the YouTube channel "Knobs" for some great demos of fantastic pedals.

ah! you went for the mercury7 :love:
another of those, as soon as its in stock on a payday items.

knobs is great, also pedals and effects get a few synth users in for demos too, its not just guitar n bass :)

Wish my old Lexicon Vortex hadn't died, but anyhow it was a rackmount not a pedal.

I'm not much into keyboards into pedals, but as Bert Koor said, they've been making em a long time. I picked up a Pod 2.0 in perfect shape at the pawshop for $25 US. Its probably as ratty reverb, chorus, echo, distortion, as anything else "affordable".

Some of the real expensive digital pedals almost are tempting but its just not my thang. Kept trying to talk myself into one of the high-end rotary speaker pedals but they are just so dang expensive.

vurt wrote:ah! you went for the mercury7 :love:
Not yet, but it's on my wish list.

It's probably gonna be a while. I just spend another stack of cash on Euro stuff (Jackalope 2.0, Ladik P-075, used Bin Seq, used Tyme Sefari 2 & A Sound of Thunder) without selling very much first.

And I expect my next spending spree will have to be on house repairs instead of fun stuff :dog:

ah, sorry missed the "stuff im thinking about" line.

some nice additions there though :tu:

those first three meris pedals are a great first foray in to pedals, hopefully the future from them will take more fave fx to new places :D

though i mention them a lot, i have no connection to them, merely a happy user of the ottobit jr (so far) :)

Yeah, Eventide pedals work well with synths, as do Strymon.
I was finding Line6 ToneCore pedals with stereo docks for $40 and modules for $20 about 5 years ago. I think Line6 did a clearance around that time. I got a bunch of them and they are great on synths. I think prices have gone up on those now.

A have a couple crates of old Boss, Danelectro, Arion and EHX pedals, I like them for sound experiments but they roll off a lot of high end which is super noticeable when used with synths, not so much with guitars.

Some of my current favorites:
EHX Super Pulsar
EHX Deluxe Memory Man TT1100
Moog MF-103 Phaser
Eventide Pitch Factor (particularly the Harmodulator and Harpeggiator algorithms)
Zoom UltraFuzz
ToneCore Verbzilla

Just saw Richard Devine posting about the Specular Tempus, which led me to watching some YouTube videos... I'm pretty impressed now. I think that's going to take the spot of "the last pedal I buy" until the next one :D

Yesterday I forked out for a TR8s - SH01a (Blue) and another MAM MB33 so after some consideration I'm now saving for a different set of pedals Iv'e been listening to online, not cheap but I like them.

Here are the ones I'm saving for:

Image Image

Quite expensive but have everything I'll need

Rob

can't believe no one mentioned the EHX Superego +
my newest sounds:
https://soundcloud.com/the-das-kaput

Cakewalk by BandLab, Komplete 13, Maschine 2 (MKI & Jam), Fathom Synth, Guitars, Jam Origin MIDI Guitar, EXH Superego+ etc

foosnark wrote:Just saw Richard Devine posting about the Specular Tempus, which led me to watching some YouTube videos... I'm pretty impressed now. I think that's going to take the spot of "the last pedal I buy" until the next one :D
Yeah, the Specular Tempus looks really cool but why did they put the MIDI and external control jacks on the front?!
I'm also keeping an eye out fro the Mod Duo X.

I got a nice Ebtech Line Level Shifter for converting -10 unbalanced signals to +4 balanced, so it's easier to combine pedals with synths and rack effects without signal loss.

Now I'm looking for more pedals with MIDI control, as I have been having a lot of fun sequencing patch and parameter changes from Bitwing and Numerology, or controlling multiple effects at once with my Pacer pedal.

justin3am wrote:Yeah, the Specular Tempus looks really cool but why did they put the MIDI and external control jacks on the front?!
Yeah, the front jacks are kind of nuts. I'd rather they just made the box bigger and squeezed everything onto the back.

Just saw this ModRex from EHX, looks pretty cool!
https://www.ehx.com/products/mod-rex

justin3am wrote:Yeah...
EHX Deluxe Memory Man TT1100
Moog MF-103 Phaser
Eventide Pitch Fact
<oh baby; those sound excellent - great suggestions

If I were doing this exercise w/ hard synths - I'd only replace the EHX w/ an MXR Carbon Copy analog delay
OR there are so many things you can do with the ol' Line6 DL4
I wouldn't do a reverb box before the DAW however

peace
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

I’m mostly using Strymon El Capistan and BigSky, Eventide H9 Max, Red Panda Particle and Tensor, Hologram Infinite Jets, Elektron Analog Heat, and Line6 Helix floorboard.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”