Have you sold your Hardware synths and regretted it

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have quite a collection of Hardware synths and some really good ones, and also a large collections of VST's. I have since disconnected all the hardware synths as an experiment and am seriously considering selling off all the Hardware. It seems i can do everthing with the software but I just can't seem to part with my beloved hardware. Has anyone down this and regretted it later? I know if I do this I can generate a nice some of mony by selling them off, it's just the principal of the te thing that isd making me hesitant. Please offer your opinions. I should also state that I don't gig and all of this is just a an expensive Hobby for me. The decision is killing me. Thanks in advance.
Confusion will be my epitaph

if you don't need money / space rapidly, I'd wait a little to see if there's a " miss " feeling popping up.
I thought about dumping most of my softs last week but finally ... even if I use them less lately, they really fill some blanks so I'll keep them for now ...

I owned the following:

Kurzweil K2000S
Kurzweil K2600S
Korg X3
Korg N364
Ensoniq ASR-10
Ensoniq AXR-X (actually glad I sold it...)
BOSS DR-550
Alesis ... eh... that drum machine they make...
A really crappy Akai sampler
Ensoniq DP2 FX processor
Roland JX-8P

Probably some other stuff too, it's been a while.

I now own a PC and a crappy Radium 49 controller with a shitload of software that seems to be an endless stream of buggy releases. Software just isn't there yet; for sampling and audio recording it is. For real-time playing and performance, it just feels like it's lacking to me. I'm really picky though. I must have interpolation. I must have all parameters tweakable via a knob (not a mouse). I must have an instrument that works with the sequencer I'm using (or in the case of software: the host)

Too many cases where a plugin doesn't work in host A, but it does in host B. Sometimes it's your chipset, your soundcard driver, your OS, your mom, whatever. Give me a few boards and a few MIDI cables and I'm set.

I have pondered just breaking in to Guitar Center.

DON'T DO IT MAN! Keep your gear.

did the same thing two years ago.
Sold all my synths, Roland JD800,Prophecy,ANiX to name a few, Tascam DA38 w/Tascam 1600 recording desk.

Regrets, you bet! :cry:
I've since purchased another prophecy and a rackmount JD990,although I still miss the sliders on the JD800.

I love my software VSTi's but also love hardware.
My wife wise one she is kept saying no don't sell it put it in storage but I didn't listen. :cry: :cry:

It's your call but it's a bitch trying to get it all back and the financial loss is often terrible.
I lost alot on the resale value. :cry:

Good Luck,
rick

yes my ensoniq Fizmo!

and my linn9000

I had a beautiful Yamaha CS6x with the gorgeous Piano and VL-1 boards installed. Had to sell it because of an unexpected car repair. Also had a Korg Prophecy...also sold.

Miss them terribly.

All I have now is my Yammie AN1x, which I love and will never sell.

I regret selling my JP-8080 :(
It was so nice to be able to have all those knobs immediatly available for tweaking, I also liked it's external audio processing features, somthing I try to recreate in some of my SE creations.

I also miss my Ensoniq SQ-1, I think that was it...
it was my first keyboard, I had some great patches on there, but it was very hard to program with only a few buttons.
I loaned it to a band member and he dropped it breaking one of the keys, so I sold it to him for $50...a few years later I found out he ended up smashing it to bits with a hammer for fun...what a waste...

no_barcode wrote:Ensoniq AXR-X (actually glad I sold it...)
Why are you glad that you sold that one, if you don't mind my asking?

I've sometimes considered looking for a cheap used Ensoniq keyboard, just to have a MIDI controller with polyphonic aftertouch. I don't know which models of Ensoniq I should look for, or which to avoid. I noticed that you listed several Ensoniq products in your list. Do you have any suggestions for a cheap Ensoniq MIDI controller keyboard with poly aftertouch?

take care,
McLilith

Thanks for the comments so far you guys are providing some very valid arguments for keeping the gear, (I don't really need the money now, although cash is always nice to have) and the space is not too much of an issue (i just have to keep arranging stuff to make it feel right).
Confusion will be my epitaph

I regret selling my Roland JP8000. I have to admit, I didn't really have that much use for it, with or without MIDI/PC connection, but I can't deny that I loved the noises it made.

I also regret selling my KORG NS5R sound module. I wish I'd had the patience to rip the sounds off into some nice velocity-layered soundfonts. Would've taken a month or so.

Let's see, let me think here of what I've had and what I've sold, and what I still have.... I'm sure I'll forget some stuff.

Yamaha W5 - Still have, won't sell, love the keybed, hate the sounds.

Ensoniq ASR-10 - Regret I even bought it, glad it's gone.

EMU E64 - Loved it, glad it's gone. I'll NEVER go back to a hardware sampler with things like Kontakt, Giga, etc.

Korg Wavestation - Loved it, might be regretting it. Will find out when I play Scot's Korg SR shortly. I have a feeling I really don't miss it as much as I think I do.

Korg NS5r - Got it, won't part with it.

Roland JV-2080 - Still love it, would LOVE to upgrade to a XV-5080 and/or Fantom, but... Once I do, then I'll part with it.

Yamaha FS1r - Kinda liked it, sold it for a profit, wonder if I should have kept it or not as I really never gave it a chance. :?

Kawai K5000r - liked it, glad it's gone, don't regret it.

Yamaha AN1x - Loved it, dont' really regret it as I'm considering getting a Motif with the PLG150-AN board instead (Anyone have this? Love to hear about it.)

I'm sure I'm forgetting things. Other things like my Alesis Q2 and M-EQ130 I regret even buying, and glad they're gone too. Mostly though, I'm glad it's mostly gone, and hope to pick up more hardware in the future at reduced prices as everyone else thinks software is the only way to go. ;) I love both, and will use both for years to come.

Devon
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.
Read my VST reviews at Traxmusic!

ceenda wrote:I also regret selling my KORG NS5R sound module. I wish I'd had the patience to rip the sounds off into some nice velocity-layered soundfonts. Would've taken a month or so.
You can get them on EBay for like $175-$200. Just get one again.

Devon
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.
Read my VST reviews at Traxmusic!

Korg trinity plus. Really should've kept that one.

synthetica wrote:I don't really need the money now, although cash is always nice to have) and the space is not too much of an issue (i just have to keep arranging stuff to make it feel right).
If I had the space, and didn't really need the cash, I would definitely keep the hardware. If I could go a year without using or missing any of it, I would consider selling some of it. However, I would probably sample all of it within an inch of its life first. :)

take care,
McLilith

McLilith wrote:
no_barcode wrote:Ensoniq AXR-X (actually glad I sold it...)
Why are you glad that you sold that one, if you don't mind my asking?

I've sometimes considered looking for a cheap used Ensoniq keyboard, just to have a MIDI controller with polyphonic aftertouch. I don't know which models of Ensoniq I should look for, or which to avoid. I noticed that you listed several Ensoniq products in your list. Do you have any suggestions for a cheap Ensoniq MIDI controller keyboard with poly aftertouch?

take care,
McLilith
Sorry that was suppose to be ASR-X, which wasn't a keyboard, it was an Akai MPC ripoff attempt. I loved the ASR-10 as a playable keyboard. (it lacked a resonant LP filter - what were they thinking with that one?) I don't know who made the actual keyboard (Fatar, probably?) But it was rock-solid and had poly aftertouch. No knobs though :( I don't know if it was semi-weighted or not, but it felt just right and the keys would spring back up fast enough to keep up with me - which is more than I can say for the K2600S. I am so happy to see that they switched it back to non-weighted keys in the K series' latest incarnation.
DevonB wrote:...and hope to pick up more hardware in the future at reduced prices as everyone else thinks software is the only way to go. I love both, and will use both for years to come.
A lesson I have learned. Listen to Devon, use both.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”