Have you sold your Hardware synths and regretted it

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Lessee...
Yamaha TX16W -- Glad to be rid of it. Quite possibly the most needlessly difficult-to-use instrument ever made.
Korg EX-8000 -- don't really miss it; only used it for a couple of sounds.
Roland MKS-50 -- don't really miss it, don't care for the hoover sound, couldn't get anything else useful of out of it.
Alesis HR-16 and some Boss sample-playback drum machine -- totally obsolete, don't miss them at all.
Korg Polysix -- this I do kinda miss, but it's not easy to get MIDId and the keyboard was shot.
Kawai K3m -- this I missed so much that I bought another!
Yamaha TG55 -- horrible ROMpler, don't miss it at all.
Korg Poly-800 -- my first synth, and a horrible one. CHEESY! Don't miss it at all.

MS20, Jupiter 8, MKS80, PolySix, Poly61, Poly 800MkII, Alpha Juno, Juno106, Akai80 (can't quite remember the name - lots of bright bar readouts), Pro-One, SixTrack, Mirage, S700, SQ80, DW8000.

don't miss any of them. i have softsynths that are better in almost every way.

Cabinfever, I second that. My arsenal of softsynths coupled with Brainspawns forte make me laugh out loud with happiness.

Alesis
HR-16
HR-16B
SR-16

Korg
Mono/Poly

Moog
Minimoog

Oberheim
SEM
OB-8

Roland
JV-80
D-10
D-110
D-50
R-8
R-8m
R-70
S-10
S-330
MT-32
TR-505
TR-727
U-220

Sequential Circuits
Drumtraks
MultiTrack
SixTrak
SixTrak
Pro One

Yamaha
FB01
TX81z
TX7
DX100
DX11
DX7
DX21
TG33
RX11

and 2 Boss DR drum boxes.

Of all that, I miss the Oberheims the most then the Minimoog... everything else... not so much.

i've sold many synths... actually all of em.

2 i miss the most.

#1 - Waldorf BLACK Microwave XT (1 of only 666 made in Black)
#2 - Ensoniq SQ-80. i miss it mostly as a controller. polyphonic aftertouch is an awesome feature, and is missed sorely.

Play your soft synths around lower end of the keyboard(C1-F1)and then play your hardware synths around the same region.

You should hear the difference. Software breaks up towards the lower end of the keyboard hardware does not.

We could blatantly hear a difference when comparing the Moog Modular V2 to the Roland Jp-8080.

Basically though I think it depends on what type of music you are making.Hands on control rules.

PS:What a ridiculous comment on page 3!

"Trinity - $5000 for three useful sounds, I don't think so. "

I've never owned any real synths, but I sold my piece o shite Yamaha DD-50. Don't really miss it at all.

I bought my first and only synth in 1995 or so. It's time to let it go now. It's a dust collecting Roland JD-800. Awesome interface. But it's a hardware unit, and I haven't used it for several years.

I doubt I will regret it. It's still my fav hardware synth, but hardware synths sucks. Imo.
Stefan H Singer
Musician, coder and co-founder of We made you look Web agency

Robr wrote:You should hear the difference. Software breaks up towards the lower end of the keyboard hardware does not.
Bullshit! I don't have any hardware than can come close to the bottom end of WaspXT. If there is a more perfect bass machine around, I would really like to hear it.
PS:What a ridiculous comment on page 3!
"Trinity - $5000 for three useful sounds, I don't think so. "
Really? What do you base that on? I actively used my Trinity for around 2 years, before we went all software, and I only ever found three patches that I had any use for. Every sound we used from it was based on one or another of these. None of its strings programs were anywhere near as good as our CS1x and our BassStation krapped all over it for bass. The combinations were very seductive but trying to use it as a workstation was very dissappointing for us. The O1R/W that it was meant to replace got as much use as a sound module as it ever did, the Trinity basically serving as a big, heavy, expensive sequencer.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Robr wrote:Play your soft synths around lower end of the keyboard(C1-F1)and then play your hardware synths around the same region.

You should hear the difference. Software breaks up towards the lower end of the keyboard hardware does not.

We could blatantly hear a difference when comparing the Moog Modular V2 to the Roland Jp-8080.
Given that the Jp-8080 is software, is there any reason anyone should give credence to the rest of your opinions?

I'm still using my DX7 as a controller. It's been a freind for a long time! It was my first synth.

I don't miss any of my hardware stuff. I just cringe when I think of what I could have now, if I had the money I lost on that stuff, to put into my current system! I have a lot more room to work now, too. I don't miss the tangle of wires all over either!

I used to have one of these:
ImageSiel Cruise

One of these:
ImageMoog Prodigy

And one of these:
ImageRoland cr68 drum machine.

I had great fun with these 3 toys. I wish I'd had the opportunity to sell them. If I had, I wouldn't have. But they were stolen. By a 'friend' (actually an ex who upped and left and took these baby's along with all leads, amps and a full size Harmonium!). :(

Glassback wrote: I had great fun with these 3 toys. I wish I'd had the opportunity to sell them. If I had, I wouldn't have. But they were stolen. By a 'friend' (actually an ex who upped and left and took these baby's along with all leads, amps and a full size Harmonium!). :(
That didn't lead to 10 years making license plates for someone?

Don't you live in a civilized country where grand theft and burglary are illegal? Sounds like you would have been able to tell the police where to find the thief and your stuff.

Robr wrote: You should hear the difference. Software breaks up towards the lower end of the keyboard hardware does not.
Your comments are meaningless without a description of the sound hardware on your DAW. There are plenty of computer music systems that perform hella good at the low end. Low frequencies are not a particularly big challenge for the software generators or the audio hardware.

adamjay wrote:i've sold many synths... actually all of em.

2 i miss the most.

#1 - Waldorf BLACK Microwave XT (1 of only 666 made in Black)
#2 - Ensoniq SQ-80. i miss it mostly as a controller. polyphonic aftertouch is an awesome feature, and is missed sorely.
I never buy anything that I don't plan on keeping. I have never in my life sold anything for more than I paid for it (including in the stock market). I am fairly antisocial also, so nobody is going to be making any offers on my stuff. When something is beyond repair, that's one thing. But I never get rid of anything that works. I wouldn't seek to sell it, and nobody is going to make an offer.

I have a Microwave2 for instance. I guess I could get $500 for it. Why on earth would I do that though? I can't imagine selling it, even if I stopped using it. It simply would never occur to me.

So it always surprises me when people sell their stuff. Why'd you buy it in the first place, if you didn't want to keep it?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”