SrClient.dll Error... [solved]

Official support for: agitatedstate.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello all. I installed the demo of menu manager to give it a test-run with SONARx86 and SONARx64 and am receiving the following error when attempting to run the application:

menumagic.exe - Unable To Locate Component

This application has failed to start because SrClient.dll was not found.
Reinstalling the application may fix the problem.

Well, of course reinstalling was of no help and I can confirm that the OS does not have that file native to it, unless it somehow got erased, which I would find hard to believe... I am running WS08x64 ENT SP2 and have no compatibilty problems with it; not to mention it would appear, at least with server core, that Microsoft seems to indicate that file really should be here. So, I guess I just need to confirm that the Menumanager executable is not supposed to supply a version of said file. There is a way to repair and retrieve such system files, but I refuse to do that as it will hose the install. I also do not trust any on-line source for that .dll as it is one of many that often are exploits (ironically likely why it is not here, maybe one of my monthly scans flagged it???)

So now I am at a loss as to what to do and sadly, even if I do get things sorted out, my trial time is ticking away while the application is not available for testing...

Any thoughts or comments welcome; likely best bet would be to be able to obtain the file from a trusted source (such as agitatedstate...) As well, keep in mind the OS we are using has nothing to do with this issue and even if it did, starting from scratch IS NOT an option for us here!

I thank you in advance.
Regards,
ME

Film_Guy

The SrClient.dll file is not part of the MenuMagic install set. It is used by the Windows operating system for the implementation of the System Restore function.

The first time you run MenuMagic it trys to set a System Restore point so that if you experience any problems that you could rollback any changes that might have been made.

What's odd is that MenuMagic checks for the existence of SrClient.dll before if tries to set the restore point. In this case it is finding it - the error message you are reporting is not from MenuMagic. If MenuMagic cannot find the file it would display
SrClient.dll - not found!
System does not support restore points!

then continue running.

Not sure what is happening in this case. When this file is missing is usually not a good thing - it is often targeted by spyware programs, hopefully this is not problem in this case. If you aren't already using it Spybot - Search & Destroy is an excellent donation-ware program that helps at keeping the nasties at bay. You might also try Googling "SrClient.dll" and checking for solutions.

Even if SrClient is corrupt it should not cause MenuMagic to crash. What I will do is create a build of MenuMagic that handles this a little differently and we can see if this gets around this particular issue. It will be sometime tomorrow afternoon before I can make these changes - its late (2:20am here), I've got to be up early, etc. but I will PM you with a link as soon as I have something.

...Steven
ImageCakewalk/Sonar Plugin Management Tools

Hey thank you much Steve; oddly I do belive what is wrong is that file in fact is NOT native to the OS and is not indicative of any issues here. Windows Server 2008x64 Enterprise does not have a system restore function that I am aware of. I "could" be wrong about that as I have not used system restore on a Windows Operating System likely sense late NT/XP or perhaps WIN2K3 Server.

Hmmm. I would have to dig around on Microsoft to even know for sure, as I am certain that function is no where to be found in the GUI of the OS; Windows Server Backup is what one is supposed to use if you are not going to use a third party system for backup images. After 30 years doing this and maybe running several "restore points" in that time that all ended in more frustration and a toasted OS, I vowed never to use it again and just keep regimented timely backups.

I sure do appreciate your descriptive, pleasent and helpful response. The one thing I have to ask myself is an application merely to organize, track and sort plugins sees itself as so invasive that it should need set a restore point? Perhaps prudent (particuarlly since I don't know how the app "works" since I can't get it running) but it seems almost scary to think that such an application would find it necessary to call for a restore point "just in case."

I will do some checking myself. I am almost 100% positive that is not and should not be part of this OS, but it's hard to say. I don't have a single install of Vista or other consumer OS's to compare nor steal it from either as we are running everything on Server...

FILM_GUY wrote:Hey thank you much Steve; oddly I do belive what is wrong is that file in fact is NOT native to the OS and is not indicative of any issues here. Windows Server 2008x64 Enterprise does not have a system restore function that I am aware of. I "could" be wrong about that as I have not used system restore on a Windows Operating System likely sense late NT/XP or perhaps WIN2K3 Server.
I don't know if WS2008 has System Restore or not, I was under the impression that it is now part of all MS OS's. If it is not, then that could be part of the problem because MenuMagic is finding the dll and is trying to run it.

Unless System Restore is disabled the OS normally automatically creates a restore point when an installer or updates are run.
FILM_GUY wrote:The one thing I have to ask myself is an application merely to organize, track and sort plugins sees itself as so invasive that it should need set a restore point?
This really only applies if you are using MenuMagic to support DAWs using the VST Adapater (for example Sonar 3 through 5) or Project5. With these DAWS - all plug-in settings are stored in the registry. While MenuMagic's Global Reset function can undo any of the changes it makes to the registry the restore point was just an additional safety measure. I've never had a customer (or someone using the demo) that needed to use it (the restore point in question) or had to use it myself.

...Steven

Did some more research - Server2008 does not include Restore Points.

So the SrClient.dll file is not being used.
Renaming it should fix the problem that MenuMagic is having.
(you should be able to delete it , but I'd rename it first and see if anything complains afterward)

I think I will just eliminate the restore point code from the next build. It's double overkill if the OS supports it and in this case causing problems when the OS doesn't.
Edit: The code in question was eliminated in v1.4.2

BTW if anyone is using a dual boot system that includes XP or Server2003, these will wipe out your restore points and shadow copies in the newer OS's.
Here's an excellent article about the problems and what you can do to fix it:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926185

...Steven
Last edited by TheSteven on Sat May 15, 2010 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I just posted a new demo/trail version.

Changes in this version:
  • MenuMagic no longer tries to set a restore point the first time it is run.
  • Trial time has been extended. It is now 15 days from date of installation instead of 7.
...Steven

Yeah, Steve I thought that was correct about the Restore Points, saddly I hadn't had time to sort through Technet or any of Microsoft's other resources.

I had run a lengthy search for that dynamic link library item MenuMagic was calling for and never found it in my install at all, but what is even more strange is I ran into "something" I was doing the other day that made mention of setting a restore point; funny when that technology is not included in the OS... (Wish I remember now what it was, thought it was quite a shocker when I read it durring some application, feature or role installation...)

I had always in the past disabled the system restore features from any of the OS's I have used that had it after several catastrophic results. What I am suspecting I saw that said it would "set a restore point" (without yet reading that article you hyperlinked; I am on my way there in a minute...) perhaps could be calling for a registry snapshot for the "Last Known Configuration" option (that usually works no better) that still shows up if you hose your WS08x64 ENT install... Is that a possibility?

I am sure I will get a great education from yout hyperlink, but I can't thank you enough for looking into this for us; many would not bother, particuarlly due to the fact that we use non-consumer OS's here.

BTW, I was not giving you a hard time in my prior post as it appeared from your quotes in your other reply. I simply know nothing of System Restore because I don't want to; I left that poorly working system behind many years ago, so my attitude was indicative of my displeasure with Microsoft's technology and not your code or developemnt.

I am going to check out your link and read up, for knowledge is power. We had looked into MenuMagic, while we do have Project5v2 installed and might as well not, we are using SONAR 8 as our primary DAW here, but I have had some concerns about hitting some strange plugin limits (product of the OS, not Roland/Cakewalks programming...) even when using plugin layouts and wanted to see if MenuMagic would be of any help to us in this regard.

I am currently BETA testing a WS08 R2 install as well that has been converted to workstation type operation, so I will have two platforms to report on.

Many thanks Steve and I will post anything I can that is helpful either here or to Agitated State's email directly (if you have one...)

Appreciate all of your hard work. Going to hit the control room right now and do some reading and then testing, I will post my results for you.

Thank you in advance.
Warm regards,
Douglas

Return to “Agitated State”