Egoist - MIDI documentation?

Official support for: sugar-bytes.de
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there, so I've been reading both the Manual Standalone and Manual English specifically for more comprehensive information about MIDI assignments; the defaults, and how to construct my own. Simply using Egoists built in default setup, I have no problem playing Slices 1 to 16 or selecting Pattern 1 to 16 via a MIDI configuration I setup on a Maschine Mikro.

That said, I do seem to have some issues with regard to MIDI Learn and finding out about Egoists preset MIDI assignments (notes and CCs).

Where is this information provided? I'd like to be able to switch between Slice, Pattern, Part and Song at the touch of a button, or simply press RECORD somewhere and have SLICES recorded in the order I played them on Pads and let Egoist create a pattern to correspond to that recording. How can I set one button to the left or right pattern selector? Can I play Drums or Bass on the keyboard or am I stuck to the UI? Can I switch views between Slicer, Bass/Beat and Effects? How do I change from Part A, B, C, D, E or F?

I've tried monitoring Egoists MIDI output, but it appears to be limited to Patterns and Slices, thats it.

Could someone please point me to a tutorial or manual with the level of MIDI detail I'm looking for, or point me to any configurations they've found useful? Any help appreciated.

Many thanks :)

or simply press RECORD somewhere and have SLICES recorded in the order I played them on Pads and let Egoist create a pattern to correspond to that recording.

Egoist has no recording feature, but the daw should be able to do that.
How can I set one button to the left or right pattern selector? Can I play Drums or Bass on the keyboard or am I stuck to the UI? Can I switch views between Slicer, Bass/Beat and Effects? How do I change from Part A, B, C, D, E or F?
Switching views from external sources is not possible in EGOIST right now.
Drums and Bass cannot be played by Midi, only from internal sequencers.
Bass sends Midi Out though.

Switching parts is done by the Song Sequencer, or maually with the ABCD... buttons.

We put more Midi implementation on the list.

best
Rico

Hi Rico,
We put more Midi implementation on the list.
Sounds good to me- plenty of interesting combinations available there from my point of view especially in relation to 'live composition' (as opposed to DAW 'production mode' to borrow some phrases)
Egoist has no recording feature, but the daw should be able to do that.
That is definitely fine in 'production' mode, with Egoist running as a plugin, but in a live situation, with Egoist running in standalone mode, recording capability would be very interesting. A pattern could be recorded by hitting numerically ordered slice pads hit on the fly (ordered from 1 - 16 sequentially on pads). When the 'take' is kept, Egoist could revert to triggering pattern steps via pads. The pattern could be kept, overdubbed, or cloned etc on the fly. It would make for some pretty interesting live results experimentally IMO, especially if in addition to bass and kits, that the effects step sequencer and control CCs' could also be tweaked and refined on the fly.

So here's hoping for a few more releases to grow Egoists MIDI capabilities further. Great app already. Just want to enhance MIDI control to make it a little more fine grained- best thing about being able to make a test 'take' is that its possible to evolve it into a production at a later point on the fly, if you follow me. More MIDI would give that to me at least!

Thanks again for getting back to me Rico,

Best

Dave

Just checking back in to see if there have been any more developments in terms of MIDI support and documentation for the next release of Egoist and whether a due date has been set for this yet?

Return to “Sugar Bytes”