CMPlay

Official support for: muon-software.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Muon Software Ltd wrote:No worries, I'll let you know what I find out.

Kind regards
Dave
Muon Software Ltd
www.muon-software.com

Any updates on this?

--JSP

Not yet, I haven't got much beyond confirming and reproducing the issue in Energy XT. Still trying to get hold of an NFR of the relevent version of Sonar ATM.

I will of course keep you posted on my progress.

Kind regards
Dave Waugh
Managing Director
Muon Software Ltd
www.muon-software.com

Thanks everyone for their patience. I've identified the cause of the bug and it is fixed for the next release.

I'll let you all know when the issue with the updated version is ready for release - there's going to be a slight delay however because I had a bit of a brainstorm on how to radically improve the browser and add previewing, so watch this space.

Kind regards
Dave Waugh
Muon Software Ltd
www.muon-software.com

Muon Software Ltd wrote:... I had a bit of a brainstorm on how to radically improve the browser and add previewing, so watch this space.
8)

Muon Software Ltd wrote:Thanks everyone for their patience. I've identified the cause of the bug and it is fixed for the next release.

I'll let you all know when the issue with the updated version is ready for release - there's going to be a slight delay however because I had a bit of a brainstorm on how to radically improve the browser and add previewing, so watch this space.

Kind regards
Dave Waugh
Muon Software Ltd
www.muon-software.com
Hey that's great news! Thanks for working on the problem and giving an update.

I'm looking forward to the new version.

--JSP

Hi Dave, sorry to reopen this thread after a whole year, but I just installed CMPlay from the August 2009 Computer Music DVD, and I'm experiencing exactly the same behavior as jsp1979 described. If I load one patch after another into the same slot, CMPlay uses more and more memory until it reaches the 2GB limit and crashes my DAW. Nothing I do seems to cause CMPlay to release this memory.

I'm using REAPER version 3.21, on Windows XP SP3 32-bit.

You mentioned in this thread that this issue would be "fixed in the next version"... is my August 2009 version too old to have the fix?

Thanks!!

Thanks for your post (and PM). CMplay has not been updated since the original posting, but will be sometime during this year. We took the decision to rewrite the browser and add previewing, but since we fit this kind of work in around all the other work we do its taking longer than originally thought.

CMplay has a memory leak when loading certain types of patches. If your memory consumption rises and rises while previewing patches then the only thing you can really do (until the update is released) is to unload CMplay, which should release the leaked memory.

Hope this helps
Dave
Muon Software Ltd
www.muon-software.com

Hi Dave

Good to hear CMplay is still getting some attention. Will the update be 64 bit compatible?

Will the update be 64 bit compatible?
It's unlikely we'll update any plugins to 64-bit this year - it would require a ground-up rewrite of each GUI, which is far more work than we can take on right now.

We will of course make sure our plugins work fine in the various 32<->64 bit bridges that hosts like Cubase, Sonar and Logic use. At the moment I don't know of any issues on the Windows side, and I've recently tested with Logic 9.1 in 64 bit mode and all is well.

Kind regards
David Waugh
Managing Director
Muon Software Ltd
http://www.muon-software.com
http://muonsoftware.blogspot.com

Any updates? i'm trying out whatever version is in issue 153 (july 2010)... i don't see version info...

while you're looking at the code... is it possible to put some progress indicator in there to let the user know when samples are being loaded? as is, there's no feedback.

cheers!

ps: i'm still interested in seeing the classic plugins updated, but i didn't get anything accomplished with the editor of CM's DVD nor the readers on the forums ... :-(
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

We do hope to release the update before the end of the year, but for the last nine months I've been working on a very big (huge) project for a client and it has occupied pretty much all of my time. I'm sorry that CMplay users have waited so long for an update but I do hope that the new browser and previewing will make up for it.

Kind regards
Dave Waugh
Managing Director
Muon Software Ltd

Two years to fix a confirmed memory leak problem? Really? I reported the problem here in January 2009.

I understand the new features you want to add and such...but maybe just put a version out that doesn't have a memory leak, and then add new features later since it clearly isn't happening on a reasonable timetable.

You get a bunch of the CMPlay patches and many users have to restart the program after a couple of patches due to the leak.

I don't complain too often around here, but I think two years is plenty of patience on the part of users.

Two years to fix a confirmed memory leak problem? Really? I reported the problem here in January 2009.
Although it probably doesn't really help, the bug has been fixed in the code base since shortly after I discovered what caused it. The problem is that the fix hasn't been folded into the product and released.

To explain, you need to know that a single code base (Tachyon) drives quite a large range of products on seven seperate platforms, each with their own individual customisations and features. I've been doing a lot of work recently to make sure that changes in the engine flow out to all the products derived from it more smoothly, which means making the code for each product a lot more similar than it was initially. However to provide the necessary customisations needed in each product and the necessary level of interoperability between products the code needs to be *really* flexible. That in itself takes almost all my time in between working on projects for clients - and unfortunately, my clients have been keeping me extremely busy working on their projects which, in the last couple of years, haven't been involving Tachyon at all.

You are absolutely right of course, CMplay is long overdue for an update. Absolutely it needs to get all of the new features and cool stuff that I want to put into it. However you must also remember that, due to the kind of contracts we have with CM there's no budget for future updates and this sort of work has to be slotted in as and when as a result - and unfortunately the time to do that has been preciously thin on the ground.

I'm sorry you've had to wait so long. The workaround would be to convert the patches to native CMplay format (by loading, and resaving with the "save samples" option checked). The memory leak only manifests when the patch references out to individual WAV files.

Kind regards
Dave Waugh
Managing Director
Muon Software Ltd

Thank you for the response. I do appreciate it.

I understand that there is not a great motivation (or financial resources set aside) for fixing a free CM product....and that this has to be fit in between other projects.

Your response in this thread on March 2009 suggested that the fix was forthcoming and would be here after a "slight delay"...a bit of understatement.

At any rate, I'll still check in from time to time to see if it's fixed.

Again, thanks for the detailed response.

Your response in this thread on March 2009 suggested that the fix was forthcoming and would be here after a "slight delay"...a bit of understatement.
You're quite right of course. Unfortunately at the time of posting that, I wasn't aware that I was going to end up working on two major projects not related to Tachyon with little or no gap in between. The main focus of our business is contract development work, this makes us somewhat different to most other software houses in this field.

Kind regards
Dave Waugh
Managing Director
Muon Software Ltd

Return to “Muon Software”